• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social Recognition Theory

Repox

Truth Seeker
Social Recognition, the primary means for human motivation.

I. Individuals are motivated to behave the way they do to gain social recognition for competence. (Competence derives from culture, values, norms, and activity
under evaluation).

2. Social recognition by reference group members for competent outcomes is essential for self-esteem maintenance.

3. The greater an individual's level of competence in relationship to an activity, the greater will be that individual’s level of involvement in that activity. Frequency of evaluation by significant and/or referent others increases involvement in related activities.

3. As a consequences of increasing frequency of recognition for competent outcomes, involvement increases. Commitment levels also increase from social recognition processes.

4. Status assignment systems are the primary means for allocating and promoting social recognition processes. Group members evaluate each other based on norms and values related to these criteria.

5. Either at the (micro) social interactive level, or at the (macro) societal level, social institutional frameworks (values, norms, beliefs, status assignment systems, and evaluative criteria of groups) derive from social interaction processes. For all societies, depending on the evaluative standards under consideration, social interactions change or maintain social structure.

6. Institutional values and norms tend to mirror variations of evaluative criteria related to changes in recognition processes. Status allocations also change because of these relationships.

How much does social recognition play in your life? Do you think it is a useful theory of human behavior?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I. Individuals are motivated to behave the way they do to gain social recognition for competence. (Competence derives from culture, values, norms, and activity
under evaluation).

2. Social recognition by reference group members for competent outcomes is essential for self-esteem maintenance.

3. The greater an individual's level of competence in relationship to an activity, the greater will be that individual’s level of involvement in that activity. Frequency of evaluation by significant and/or referent others increases involvement in related activities.

3. As a consequences of increasing frequency of recognition for competent outcomes, involvement increases. Commitment levels also increase from social recognition processes.

4. Status assignment systems are the primary means for allocating and promoting social recognition processes. Group members evaluate each other based on norms and values related to these criteria.

5. Either at the (micro) social interactive level, or at the (macro) societal level, social institutional frameworks (values, norms, beliefs, status assignment systems, and evaluative criteria of groups) derive from social interaction processes. For all societies, depending on the evaluative standards under consideration, social interactions change or maintain social structure.

6. Institutional values and norms tend to mirror variations of evaluative criteria related to changes in recognition processes. Status allocations also change because of these relationships.

How much does social recognition play in your life? Do you think it is a useful theory of human behavior?

I am familiar with the Theory of Social Recognition and we can talk about. The question I have is describing it as the 'primary means of human motivation.' I will give it more thought.

Added note: I may pursue a line of thinking that Social Recognition is descriptive of the primary motivation of social cooperation and relationships that have evolved in humanity for the survival of the species.

Last edited:

Repox

Truth Seeker
Even though there is solid evidence for Social Recognition Theory, it has not been adopted by the academic world. The primary reason is it contacts Marxism, which has become an important perspective in higher education. The main objection by Marxists is Social Recognition Theory proposes “competence” as the most important concept for understanding human behavior. In practice, and in theory, competence contradicts “equality.” If we allow people to develop their competencies, they will undoubtedly end up unequal to others, which means communism is not the best fit for society.

Last edited:
I propose social recognition for competence to be the key variable for understanding human nature, especially when considering work related activities where one’ skills or ability is under evaluation. Regardless of social circumstances, nation, or cultural influences, the social recognition process is fundamental to social interaction analysis. My framework incorporates most social psychological theories into a behavioral model with social recognition the key variable for explaining human behavior. There is considerable empirical support in psychology for social recognition, but in different, and often, unrelated theoretical contexts -- cognitive dissonance, attribution theory, conformity studies, social influence literature, status consistence theory, studies related to worker competence, and many models of social consistence behavior. I have simply identified the most common thread throughout this body of literature, which is mostly found in psychology. It is very disconcerting that sociology can't learn from other disciplines. I maintain that social recognition for competence is the most basic concept for understudying "why people behave the way they do." Furthermore, I claim this concept to be a discovery and not an invention of scholarship.

I prefer to explain social recognition from a common-sense perspective. If a social behavior cannot be understood from the standpoint of any thinking person, then I maintain that the theorists have invented it, which explains why so many social behavioral theories become unpopular with time.

Our entire life is based on social recognition processes. We are attracted to those activities where we find that "we have the highest degree of competence," which becomes our self-identity. The social recognition that we receive results in our self-esteem. Stated differently, how many people wake up in the morning planning their days' activities on how much they will, or may, fail?

1. Social recognition for competence (defined by culture, values, norms and activity
under evaluation).

a. Criterion under evaluation.
b. Social status of evaluators.
c. Reference group or groups related to activity under evaluation and the
social status of those groups in relationship to social outcomes.
d. Frequency of evaluation of reference-group others for activity outcomes of
individual or group under evaluation.
e. Effect on self-esteem of individual or individuals under evaluation. Resulting
in salience of self-identity and therefore motivation in the associated social
role areas of activity.

under evaluation).

3. As a consequence of increasing frequency of recognition for competent outcomes, involvement increases. Commitment levels also increase from social recognition processes.

What Marx deemed to be social injustices in a capitalist society are natural processes for an advanced technological world. If one cannot find social equality, why bother proposing a society based on an impossibility? Marx failed to realize the necessity of inequalities for an efficient allocation of labor.

It is a sad story, all of the damage caused throughout history because of so many intellectuals, or social justice warriors, in powerful nations such as the USSR and Communist China, inflicting millions of people with false ideas, or elaborate schemes, in order to control them. What would those nations be like if people had freedom to pursue their "competences," and therefore fulfill basic needs? Certainly, those people would have been much happier if they had freedom to become what they wanted to be, rather than what their leaders thought best according to dictates of a political party. Communist is one of the most destructive forms of government on the face of the earth.

Reasons for the failure of Communism must be considered. I have criticized Marx for his historical analysis of class conflict whereby capitalist exploitation of the proletariat leads to a communist revolution. However, based on historical evidence, we find communism doesn’t result in an ideal, or even a satisfactory, social order. Instead, it causes disruption, poverty, and misery. Capitalism, although having problems, has progressed through industrial stages to improve labor and industrial relationships, and therefore, it has increased worker autonomy and satisfaction, not exploitation, as Marx predicted. Compared to an agrarian economy, free market industrial economies require advanced skills, more often than not, resulting in workers fulfilling, or even maximizing, “competency-based” needs.

Marx claimed capitalism to be harmful for workers, but, primarily, it is a means by which people survive, thrive, and fulfill cherished dreams and/or aspirations. Throughout history, we don’t find equalitarian societies, we find human groups in various forms of social and economic development. Communism, as Marx proposed, is a utopian dream which cannot, has not, and will never be realized.

I propose Social Recognition Theory to be good explanation for why people behave the way they do. The following principles explain factors related to self-esteem maintenance and consequences for social behavior.

I. Individuals are motivated to behave the way they do to maintain or gain “social recognition for competence.” Evaluative criteria related to the areas under evaluation derive from culture, values, and norms of the society.

2. The status assignment system, based on values and norms of the society, is the framework by which individuals evaluate social situations and therefore determine social order for society. Evaluative frameworks for social interaction derive from two levels of influence. Macro levels, organizations related to social institutions of society (family, religion, economic, government, education, and military) and micro levels (groups) where individuals are involved in daily activities. In social situations, macro criteria, in one form or another, influences social outcomes inasmuch are they relate to the situation. Through daily social encounters, society is maintained and perpetuated.

3. In order to maintain one’s self-esteem, social recognition for competency by reference group members, or by significant others, is essential.

4. The greater the level of competence in relationship to an activity, the greater will be one’s involvement in that activity as significant others afford positive evaluations.

In the context of Social Recognition Theory, capitalism is superior to communism for allowing individuals to fulfill “competence-based needs,” whereby individuals have more opportunities to pursue goals and interests without government interference.

Rather than proposing social differences to be problematic, I propose them to be a natural phenomenon for all human societies. As for social problems, they are also found in all societies, and have persisted since the beginning of civilization. In every social group, there are those who conform, and those, usually a minority, who are nonconformists, or deviants. If it were not so, we would have little or no use for laws and law enforcement. In a capitalist society, business and government leaders facilitate freedom and maintain social order for the peaceful coexistence of citizens. They do not alter society through radical changes or revolution. In communist societies, leaders use government to the detriment of individual freedom as they apply party rules to control the population.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Traditionally, the aristocratic classes took pride in the fact that they did not work, and did nothing useful. They had no practical skills besides elaborate codes of etiquette, yet were revered and wielded all the political power.

When did we become a meritocracy?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree aristocratic classes controlled their societies. However, under capitalism, rapid changes in productivity, as well as allocation in labor resources, has caused unique changes in the labor force, all of which Marx failed to understand. Back then, even the aristocrats were forced to make adjustments as the industrial revolution gained momentum. Rather than workers being exploited, they had become a means by which capitalists have advanced with new products and innovations. Note advances in efficiencies, workers becoming increasingly efficient with increasing economies to scale. Then, we have the labor movement which increased wages and made working conditions better. Even today, with advanced technology, there are constant adjustments as management uses labor according to rapid changes. One may call workers exploited, others may say they are keeping capitalism on track. Marx failed to understand capitalism as an advanced stage in the allocation of labor. Mostly, "Marx failed to understand inequality as the natural condition for human societies." According to Marxian analysis, the worst form of exploitation would have been the Roman Empire where 90% of the population where slaves subject to the will of a few landowners.
Aren't increasing numbers of people wage slaves even today, living pretty much hand to mouth, unable to take time off for education or training to better their situations, unable to afford them even if they did have the time, constantly worrying about a health emergency or a $400. car repair bill, unable to make ends meet without both spouses working, often at multiple jobs?

These days, with our Neoliberal economy, your labor unions are becoming scarce as hens' teeth, and those that remain are pretty much toothless themselves, plus wages have stagnated for most.

Good point about increasing worker efficiency, but you failed to mention that their wages didn't increase in conjunction.

Capitalism works by providing workers with tools, then taking most of what they produce for yourself -- because you own the tools. This strikes me as exploitation.

Me, I don't see inequality as man's natural condition. I see it as a natural artifact of capitalism. I don't see capitalism as an 'advanced stage'. I'm beginning to see it as a dead end.

Old Karl is beginning to look more prescient every day. ;)

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

under evaluation).

100% yes, very useful (though not exclusively, there are a lot of good theories in the field of social psychology).

I’m a hermit so personally, in a long time now, not so very affected. ;)