• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social norms and values are always a political consensus, which are endemic throughout society.

By definition, social norms and values are always a social construct or political consensus, which are endemic throughout society.

True or false?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
By definition, social norms and values are always a social construct or political consensus, which are endemic throughout society.

True or false?

i believe social norms to be a product of group morality rather than politics

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

True or false?
Not by definition. They begin with nature, then they are modified through social constraints such as taboos, finally some of the constraints are expanded or broken by maturity and experience. The norms depend upon age and location. If your norms are one thing, and you encounter a culture where there is a different set of norms then you are an alien.

Another thing is that you can think norms are something but actually be wrong. For example you could be the goody-two-shoes of your office, believing in more constraints than those around you. Your perception of the norms can be different from what actually is normal for your group.

Heyo

Veteran Member

True or false?
Not even false.
The statement is too broad to be evaluated. Much depends on what you mean with "society" in the context. E.g. you can have parallel societies in one country like the caste system of the middle ages and absolutism. The aristocracy, the clergy and the people each had their own social norms and values.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Although politics often imposes self-serving values and behaviors on populations, which can eventually become the norm.

I think its deeper than that, in the beginning society creates the politics to guide society with its norms. Which then, in turn imposes those norms