• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer fans boo players kneeling for anthem

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/13/mls-fans-boo-kneeling-anthem-dallas-nashville

There was a smattering of boos when players from FC Dallas and Nashville SC collectively took a knee during the national anthem before their MLS game in Frisco, Texas, on Wednesday night.

Dallas defender Reggie Cannon said he was disgusted by the boos at Toyota Stadium when players and officials knelt to call attention to racial injustice. He said teammate Ryan Hollingshead turned to him afterward and said he was sorry.

“You can’t even have support from your own fans in your own stadium. It’s baffling to me,” Cannon said. “As a team we try to give the best possible product on the field and these last six months have been absolute hell for us. Absolute hell.”

The two teams were excluded from the MLS tournament due to some of their players testing positive for COVID.

Dallas and Nashville had not played a game since the season was suspended on March 12 because of the coronavirus. While Major League Soccer’s other teams played in the MLS is Back tournament in Florida over the past month, Dallas and Nashville were forced to withdraw before the start because of positive COVID-19 tests among players.

All the players from both teams, along with the referees, kneeled during the National Anthem. Nashville won the game 1-0. (Typical soccer score.)

EfQr8V4XgAA64_H

They didn't play the National Anthem at the tournament in Florida at the players' request.

The anthem was not played before games at the tournament. Cannon said the players had asked that it not be played before the game because they didn’t feel it was right “for the anthem to be played in this moment.”

“We had someone chanting U.S.A., but they don’t understand what kneeling means. They don’t understand why we’re kneeling. They can’t see the reason. They think we’re the ignorant ones,” Cannon said. “It’s incredibly frustrating. I’m sorry to have this tone, but you have to call it for what it is.”

Cannon said he expected to have some negative pushback over the unified response.

“It hurts me because I love our fans, I love this club, and I want to see the support that the league has given us, that everyone has given us, from our fans,” he said.

I think that a point is raised that a lot of people don't really understand the reason for some players kneeling during the Anthem. A lot of people can't connect the street-level actions of local police officers to the abstract ideals of patriotism, the love of the flag, freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Some people see the kneeling during the Anthem as opposition to the principles of freedom and justice, while those who are kneeling simply want those principles to be practiced more consistently and equitably.

But it still seems to raise people's hackles just the same.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I never thought for the life of me that European Football would ever sink to our level.

Red carded!!!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They allow fans at soccer matches?
Exactly. We have two outrages in one. Utter disregard for the climate surrounding kneeling and police corruption and racism, and pudding brains packing into a stadium. Though, I can't saw the boos surprise me as its likely the bulk majority of attendees are already RW covid deniers who are followed suit on politicizing the military over the issue.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that a point is raised that a lot of people don't really understand the reason for some players kneeling during the Anthem. A lot of people can't connect the street-level actions of local police officers to the abstract ideals of patriotism, the love of the flag, freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Some people see the kneeling during the Anthem as opposition to the principles of freedom and justice, while those who are kneeling simply want those principles to be practiced more consistently and equitably.

What? People with little understanding of an issue come to passionate conclusions about it?!
Who'd of thunk it?

What I find remarkable is that the flag waving, USA! USA! USA! patriots are also the ones railing against Big Government and
government imposition on their "freedoms."
They so passionately support that which they want to reduce till it can be "drowned in a bathtub."
confused-smiley-013.gif

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What? People with little understanding of an issue come to passionate conclusions about it?!
Who'd of thunk it?

What I find remarkable is that the flag waving, USA! USA! USA! patriots are also the ones railing against Big Government and
government imposition on their "freedoms."
They so passionately support that which they want to reduce till it can be "drowned in a bathtub."
confused-smiley-013.gif

My question: if they don't want sports events reduced to political squabbles, why do the politicize them at all?
Flag salutes and National anthems make sports events into political rallies.

My solution: Go back to the old days. No flags, no anthems, just get on with the game.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A lot of people can't connect the street-level actions of local police officers to the abstract ideals of patriotism, the love of the flag, freedom, liberty, and justice for all. Some people see the kneeling during the Anthem as opposition to the principles of freedom and justice, while those who are kneeling simply want those principles to be practiced more consistently and equitably.

Yes

I consider soccer a European sport. Its just me.

There are fans in Latin America, Africa and Asia that would tear you limb from limb for writing that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My solution: Go back to the old days. No flags, no anthems, just get on with the game.
Totally this.
I couldn't care less about a bunch of guys chasing each other's balls.

Well....

But still. If you want to ruin the sport, and comraderery associated, politicize it and insist on making it about something besides the game.

But don't then complain about losing your cushy job when revenues drop and you are seen as the cause. Sorry Kaep, nobody wants you.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/08/13/mls-fans-boo-kneeling-anthem-dallas-nashville

The two teams were excluded from the MLS tournament due to some of their players testing positive for COVID.

All the players from both teams, along with the referees, kneeled during the National Anthem. Nashville won the game 1-0. (Typical soccer score.)

EfQr8V4XgAA64_H

They didn't play the National Anthem at the tournament in Florida at the players' request.

Counter revolutionaries!
Fascinating to watch the show.
(Not talking about soccer.)

Tambourine

I can't speak for Americans, but where I live, I've seen vandalism, antisemitism, misogyny, and racism in soccer matches, sometimes all in the same match. I don't intend any offense to fans of the sport, but soccer seems to bring out the absolute worst in some people.