• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SoCal port logjam could leave holiday shelves bare

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Are you ready?

LOS ANGELES (NewsNation Now) — There are a near-record 146 cargo ships off the California coast either anchored or at berth with billions of dollars worth of merchandise — and not much can be done about it.

About half of all imports come into Southern California, but it’s now a major choke point in the global supply chain.

Christmas present shopping: Shortage could be driven by port logjam
It's amazing how the connected world can become disconnected so quickly. Apparently there'll be turkey shortages (in the UK) by christmas. Probably a nefarious action by militant vegetarians.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Are you ready?

LOS ANGELES (NewsNation Now) — There are a near-record 146 cargo ships off the California coast either anchored or at berth with billions of dollars worth of merchandise — and not much can be done about it.

About half of all imports come into Southern California, but it’s now a major choke point in the global supply chain.

I blame brexit... Oh wait... America so perhaps not

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you ready?

Well, it's a consequence of incredibly poor planning on the part of our government by allowing the closure of manufacturing and production in the United States, just so short-sighted quick-buck artists in the business world could make more money off cheap labor overseas. While I don't condone such practices, it seems it would have been a more intelligent and more practical decision to outsource on our own continent. That way, goods could be transported over land, which is far easier than transport by ship.

So, it might be a lean Christmas this year. Of course, I've heard some people talk about how the "true meaning of Christmas" has nothing to do with presents.

Thinking ahead, I think we should also consider the possibility of a tunnel underneath the Bering Strait and building the railroad infrastructure needed to support it. That means direct rail service from Alaska to the lower 48, and a treaty with Russia for them to do likewise. This would connect the Eastern Hemisphere with the Western Hemisphere.

pearl

From what I heard the problem is a shortage of truck drivers. Whatever the cause publicizing will assure a run on about everything.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Are you ready?

Best idea in my mind, cancel Christmas this year. Was never a big fan anyway.
Or, instead of buying gifts for family and friends, donate to a good charity this year.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Best idea in my mind, cancel Christmas this year.
That's basically why I loathe and detest Christmas. It's basically uncancelable so long as Christians are around. But even without, with its pagan roots it's still uncancelable with the changing of seasons leading to its celebration.
But today it's so damn commercial that because the supply chains are disrupted it's "cancel Christmas."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I blame brexit... Oh wait... America so perhaps not
There's enough of the same singing great praises to short term gains from those pushing Brexit or NAFTA while kicking the long term loses on everybody else that in a way blaming the reasons of this is sort of by proxy blaming Brexit and vice versa.
Blame away.

We Never Know

No Slack
Are you ready?

Those cargo ships are filled with things not made in America. Nows a time for people to buy American.

esmith

Veteran Member
Got an idea
How about moving those factories to South America.......
kill two birds with one stone

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Here is an interesting article I found online, written by a truck driver who occasionally handles container shipments. I found it rather illuminating concerning both the everyday procedures of container shipping, and the unique circumstances faced due to COVID:

I’m A Twenty Year Truck Driver, I Will Tell You Why America’s “Shipping Crisis” Will Not End

Some of the points raised in the article:
  • Container trucks are usually paid by load, so when COVID-related congestion in ports increased, many container truckers simply refused to show up and waste precious hours waiting in line for nothing.
  • Container yards are full, to the point where ports may well be forced to stop unloading new shipments in the near future
  • Unloading these containers is a low wage temp job, and many of these jobs got laid off during the pandemic. Because of this, waiting times for shipment by truck increased manifold, and warehouses are far behind schedule now.
  • There is little incentive to increase capacity because due to the massive delays, companies are paying premium to get their shipments prioritized, and shippers and carriers are making bank because of this.
  • The system is reliant on a limited amount of qualified drivers and limited infrastructrure and equipment to ship and pick up cargo.
  • In order to fix the problem, every element of the supply chain would have to work at equal capacity, but this is not happening because there is no incentive for either element to do so.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

We Never Know

No Slack
IMG_20211102_204937.jpg