• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soak the Poor!

Misunderstood

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This issue is such programs do not scale when transitioning to a higher economic class. The same programs end when they reach a threshold thus creating an economic loss for the individual. This leaves a gap to climb back up before actually rising again in net income. That gap can be very hard to overcome.

Yep, I've experienced the joy of getting pay rises only to realise I'd lost family assistance benefits, childcare rebates, etc.
Was sometimes left wondering if I was better off or not. It's the joys of a tier-based system. My family was very much blue collar, and have gone through the social mobility thing in a personal sense.

Overall, i'd say the following;

I'm passionate about access to good free education. To me this is the number one way in which we empower people to improve their own situation.

I want access to university to be based primarily on aptitude. Any payments should be deferable, and held at reasonable levels, with reasonable obviously being completely subjective.

I also think access to good health care, child minding, rental housing and aged care is vital.

Those are the basics of a healthy society, to me. We have varying success on those measures here in Australia, but any one of those lacking limits in very real ways social mobility.

In terms of specific welfare programs, it gets much trickier, in so far as I think there is invariably a level of measurement or assessment involved, and it's impossible to have a 'fair' set of measures. The best I've seen is to limit the gross unfairness.

So in overall terms, I agree, specific measures can be counterproductive at an individual level. But some of the things most important to social mobility are around access, rather than provision of direct funding to individuals.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How dare the people who have benefited the least from a society get away with paying the least in taxes?

Should not the poor pay a greater percentage of their income than the rich to support a society that has given them less than it has given the rich? Is that not fair?

SOAK THE POOR!
I rose from poverty

and so now I work my *** off

and uncle Guido gets the first 28%

Thief

Rogue Theologian
insurance gets $100 per week

the first $5000 out of pocket is mine to fess up

all is going to plan

not my plan.....Vinnie's

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We may be missing billions in taxes from the tax laws already in place. There is an entire industry who only purpose is to hide money from the taxman. I don't think the government is smart enough to nail down the wealth of the 1% regardless of what laws get past.
You don't think the government is smart enough to track down the money the commission to have made? The problem isn't finding it, the problem is passing laws to address that. The most that tends to ever happen is they are allowed to repatronize the money tax-free.