• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, when all is said and done this is not going to work

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
This is interesting Wrathful deities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sounds not unlike Maa Kali's and Maa Durga's rampages when they were at war with the demons, to protect universal order. The difference as I see it is that the Wrathful Deities are dedicated to individuals' enlightenment, as compared to Maa's concern for the universe at large. If I'm right (there's a good possibility I'm not :p) these are all just different aspects of the same Divine, regardless whether it's Hinduism or Buddhism.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear jainarayan,
This is interesting Wrathful deities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Sounds not unlike Maa Kali's and Maa Durga's rampages when they were at war with the demons, to protect universal order. The difference as I see it is that the Wrathful Deities are dedicated to individuals' enlightenment, as compared to Maa's concern for the universe at large.

gosh , ....big subject there are so many wrathfull deitys , or more should I say wrathfull manifestations of the bodhisatvas mind , as each bodhisatva may have many manifestations some in wrathfull form some benign , not that wrathfull beings are harmfull , far from it , they can be protectors but more prehaps they are destroyers of obsticals in the form of ignorance , so here ignorance is the demon , or demons as ignorance has many guises and forms many obsticals , so yes they too protect the universal order in that they protect the universal law . you then have a multitude of dharma protectors ,

I often used to feel that buddhism concerned it self with working with the mind in order that one might personaly gain enlightenment there fore there is much empasis on the path and the practitioner , where as the hindu fixes his mind on the supreme in which case he practices trancendance even of the path , but that both are simply methods by which the same may be acheived .

but within tibetan buddhism the supreme is the ultimate reality which is hidden in the form of the yidam , mahakala the great protector is himself that ultimate reality , not that he is to be worshiped as such , but that he is to be apropriated as the remover of obsticals on the path of knowing .

If I'm right (there's a good possibility I'm not :p) these are all just different aspects of the same Divine, regardless whether it's Hinduism or Buddhism.
prehaps it is better not to think in terms of right and wrong simply explore , that way the meaning unfolds :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
dear jainarayan,

gosh , ....big subject there are so many wrathfull deitys , or more should I say wrathfull manifestations of the bodhisatvas mind , as each bodhisatva may have many manifestations some in wrathfull form some benign , not that wrathfull beings are harmfull , far from it , they can be protectors but more prehaps they are destroyers of obsticals in the form of ignorance , so here ignorance is the demon , or demons as ignorance has many guises and forms many obsticals , so yes they too protect the universal order in that they protect the universal law . you then have a multitude of dharma protectors , ...

Yes, it is a big subject I am finding out. One of the books I have is all about the buddhas and bodhisatvas. It's part of a series of books; I have all three of them. I'm looking forward to reading up on this and learning about them. :)