• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, What's up with your weird labels?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I wasn't raised in a very religious home, my family were twice-a-year-Jews matching our
twice-a-year-Christian neighbors. A strange mix of ultra-strict and ultra-lax.
Fast forward to the late 60's - early 70's and I got mixed up in a 'bad crowd'.

They were called (by themselves!) 'Jesus Freaks' (basically hippies sans the drugs).
One gave me a bible. It amazed me how kind and caring these people were, how patient.
When you're Autistic, you don't make friends, you're treated like garbage by most.

I studied religion insatiably. Christianity. Judaism. even Kabbala.

I kept being shocked by how different modern Judaism was to what I read in the Torah.
How different Church doctrine was to what I was reading in Matthew; why such a difference?
Came to realize what I was seeing was what Yeshua was talking about in Matthew 7:14 & 13:24
"But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it."

So that became my focus, finding that narrow gate. I took the scalpel of reason to the strata.
Pared away so much of Christianity, only Matthew remained. Rejected Incarnationist theology.
Of Judaism remained only Torah and the judgements for Torah by a valid court with semikhah.

Then I set out to find labels; maybe believers... communities... matching what I had become.

Ebionite:
I am strictly Matthew-only. Yeshua is strictly Messiah ben Yosef, no divinity needed.

Karaite:
I don't reject Oral Law, but decide for myself what has valid bearing on the written Law.
(when so many insist that 'everything was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai' I reject their authority)

I now live in rural rust belt. Member of a small rural multi-denominational Temple.
We have a 10 acre 'hobby farm' with cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, sheep, goats, donkeys, even horses.
They are my congregation; and my barn is my Temple, and there I pray.

This is not open to a debate. Simply a (short?) statement of how and why I have such unusual labels.

Shalom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I wasn't raised in a very religious home, my family were twice-a-year-Jews matching our
twice-a-year-Christian neighbors. A strange mix of ultra-strict and ultra-lax.
Fast forward to the late 60's - early 70's and I got mixed up in a 'bad crowd'.

They were called (by themselves!) 'Jesus Freaks' (basically hippies sans the drugs).
One gave me a bible. It amazed me how kind and caring these people were, how patient.
When you're Autistic, you don't make friends, you're treated like garbage by most.

I studied religion insatiably. Christianity. Judaism. even Kabbala.

I kept being shocked by how different modern Judaism was to what I read in the Torah.
How different Church doctrine was to what I was reading in Matthew; why such a difference?
Came to realize what I was seeing was what Yeshua was talking about in Matthew 7:14 & 13:24
"But small is the gate and narrow the way that leads to life, and only a few find it."

So that became my focus, finding that narrow gate. I took the scalpel of reason to the strata.
Pared away so much of Christianity, only Matthew remained. Rejected Incarnationist theology.
Of Judaism remained only Torah and the judgements for Torah by a valid court with semikhah.

Then I set out to find labels; maybe believers... communities... matching what I had become.

Ebionite:
I am strictly Matthew-only. Yeshua is strictly Messiah ben Yosef, no divinity needed.

Karaite:
I don't reject Oral Law, but decide for myself what has valid bearing on the written Law.
(when so many insist that 'everything was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai' I reject their authority)

I now live in rural rust belt. Member of a small rural multi-denominational Temple.
We have a 10 acre 'hobby farm' with cats, dogs, chickens, ducks, sheep, goats, donkeys, even horses.
They are my congregation; and my barn is my Temple, and there I pray.

This is not open to a debate. Simply a (short?) statement of how and why I have such unusual labels.

Shalom

You are who you are. Welcome to RF

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave you no labels, so I can't answer the question.

If you have labels, then you've accepted how others label you, or you've simply label yourself.

Namaste, and welcome to RF.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Unusual, yes, and downright interesting! I look forward to reading your future posts on Religious Forums. :)

Namaste; Shalom. Welcome aboard!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Hello, and welcome to Religious Forums.

5bb8ac6fe1e90987dc44fadc593b11c4.gif