• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So What do you Beilieve about Aliens?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I believe such things exist but what are they? I think the generally held concept that they are intelligent beings evolved from the elements of some planet just like we evolved from the elements of earth is doubtful. In fact I don't even think evolution on earth occurred without intelligent efforts. And the fact that all alien claims include something way to similar to a human archetype; a head; two eyes; one nose, two arms and legs, etc. argues against the concept of independent origination. I think aliens blur the line between what we typically call 'real' and 'unreal' meaning they seem to involve dimensions not ordinarily considered part of what we normally call 'real'.

I sort of think that if the evolution of the universe is consistent then whatever other lifeforms are out there would also be human.

I would not say that becuase our entire biological system is based off of DNA and RNA another alien species could have adapted in different ways, could have produced mutations that we never did, could have always stayed single cellular, could have never been cellular.

Heck I think it would make more sense if aliens where structured like viruses, viruses can take conditions most living beings cannot and do not degeneraten as quickly with age. It could very well be meteor hopping..... Wiping out planet after planet..... Until it reaches ours!!!!!!! Dun dun dun.....

The Thing 3!

Coming out in a theater near you!

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I believe they exist in many different styles. Some may be completely alien (pun not intended :p ) to us: five-sexed masses of tentacles, sentient planet-sized aliens, multidimensional beings made from boron, all sorts of stuff. Of course, there are probably myriads of "primitive" forms of life.

We'll see.

Laika

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure life on earth was not an accident and that there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the Universe. I'm much more skeptical on whether aliens have visited us as I think that reflects our ego and inflated sense of self-importance. It's generally something I wouldn't look into because I don't think it affects me, but I'm open to the possibility.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
I believe there are aliens, to say there aren't is a bit naïve. We've yet to leave the comfort of our own planet, only recently did a human made object "left" our solar system, yet we "know" there is no other life in other solar systems.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Heck I think it would make more sense if aliens where structured like viruses, viruses can take conditions most living beings cannot and do not degeneraten as quickly with age.
That would be depressing though because if their environment is unsuitable for us we would never get to meet them.

I do agree it's most likely other worlds have intelligent life, but those planets are so far away and neither will ever have the technology to ravel that far to meet up. Personally if Aliens exist we would meet them in the afterlife.

Baladas

An Págánach
I think that it's very possible, maybe even probable, that they exist.
I don't have much of a belief about them other than that.

David1967

Premium Member
To quote from the movie Contact. "If there is no one else out there, it seems like an awful waste of space."

I believe the ones that visit the Earth, or abduct people are not THE extraterrestrial itself, but a drone of some type. An elaborate, perhaps even biological, robot that investigates us. The viruses we contain, or quickness to violence, would probably put them in harms way. I think the greys are DEFINATELY drones.

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
My simplified thoughts:

Q Are there aliens out there?
A Considering how huge the universe is meant to be, I would find it both scientifically and religiously illogical for there to not be other intelligent lifeforms somewhere in the universe (whether they're extra-terrestrials or angels/demons)

Q What do you think of UFO stories?
A I see it in a Jungian way, there have been things in history resembling what have come to be known as UFOs, Grays, space-ships, abductions, etc. But I think it is a reflection of something deep in our subconscious, that may or may not be related to the many unknown aspects of the brain that we may discover in the future.

Q What do you think of UFO religions?
A I think they are a logical thing to arise but I don't think the idea in itself is a new phenomenon. We've had all kinds of bizarre spiritual/angel encounters (take John Dee for example) that could very easily fit into the same area. UFO religions are a very compelling way to interpret past beliefs, as our cultures evolve. Raelism for instance is an interesting take on Christianity (if it isn't more) and by extension, if true would reveal how our knowledge over time obviously influences our tools to interpret things, and ideas surrounding thereof.

Q Do I wish the Alien encounter/abduction stories/reports are/where real?
A Kind of, yes. But it is nothing more than that in terms of this question. Regardless, I find the archetypes and the collective dysphoria the idea itself can cause, to be of incredible psychological interest.

David1967

Premium Member
My simplified thoughts:

Q Are there aliens out there?
A Considering how huge the universe is meant to be, I would find it both scientifically and religiously illogical for there to not be other intelligent lifeforms somewhere in the universe (whether they're extra-terrestrials or angels/demons)

Q What do you think of UFO stories?
A I see it in a Jungian way, there have been things in history resembling what have come to be known as UFOs, Grays, space-ships, abductions, etc. But I think it is a reflection of something deep in our subconscious, that may or may not be related to the many unknown aspects of the brain that we may discover in the future.

Q What do you think of UFO religions?
A I think they are a logical thing to arise but I don't think the idea in itself is a new phenomenon. We've had all kinds of bizarre spiritual/angel encounters (take John Dee for example) that could very easily fit into the same area. UFO religions are a very compelling way to interpret past beliefs, as our cultures evolve. Raelism for instance is an interesting take on Christianity (if it isn't more) and by extension, if true would reveal how our knowledge over time obviously influences our tools to interpret things, and ideas surrounding thereof.

Q Do I wish the Alien encounter/abduction stories/reports are/where real?
A Kind of, yes. But it is nothing more than that in terms of this question. Regardless, I find the archetypes and the collective dysphoria the idea itself can cause, to be of incredible psychological interest.

Nice post. Funny coincidence. I'm actually watching Contact as I type this. Jodie Foster just left the alien beech. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well being our own proof of life in the universe. It's therefore not inconceivable that life flourshes elsewhere.

Just need to take a closer look at area's like the goldilocks zones or places that offer a similar environment, and it's just a matter of time and some luck.