• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So what’s so great about a Christian heaven?

Scott1

I will bore you for a bit....

You main objection seems to be the lack of a good activities director in heaven --- an eternity of boredom does sound like hell!

We Catholics get to help out the Boss :

"In the glory of heaven the blessed continue joyfully to fulfill God's will in relation to other men and to all creation. Already they reign with Christ; with him "they shall reign for ever and ever."
Catechism of the Catholic Church #1029

Looking forward to looking at the sign in sheet as well.... NO WAY my primary school principal is there!

fishy

God has stated that if man could have a glimpse of heaven that they would take there lives in an instant, so one need to understand that heaven means what it sounds like HEAVEN a place of PEACE a place of LOVE a place of UNITY of ONE HEART and ONE MIND Amen.
There goes free will down the proverbial gurglar. :biglaugh:

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I will bore you for a bit....

You main objection seems to be the lack of a good activities director in heaven --- an eternity of boredom does sound like hell!

We Catholics get to help out the Boss :

"In the glory of heaven the blessed continue joyfully to fulfill God's will in relation to other men and to all creation. Already they reign with Christ; with him "they shall reign for ever and ever."

Looking forward to looking at the sign in sheet as well.... NO WAY my primary school principal is there!

Mine is not an "objection" to the concept of heaven... I only inquire as to what one does for trillions of years spent in eternity with no evident purpose within an eternal existence... which you have yet to answer or address... humorous attempts in deflection noted :)

Scott1

which you have yet to answer or address...
Ummmm....

Answered and addressed x2

Would you like further details or will this suffice?

s2a

Ummmm....

Answered and addressed x2

Would you like further details or will this suffice?

Yes, and no it does not :)

The question is... What does one DO for trillions of years in the afterlife? Have you even read the OP I crafted?

What does a teacher, a firefighter, a soldier, a tax accountant, an actor, a musician, a lawyer/politician, an activist or civil rights advocate, a doctor/healer DO in an afterlife that requires NONE of those lifelong dedicated skills? If there is no pain, no danger, no suffering, no fear, no enemies, no further call of improved knowledge, no ANYTHING but to "fulfill God's will in relation to other men and to all creation", and "reign for ever and ever"... doing what?

What fulfilling thing remains to be done or achieved when one is immortal? Worshiping God for trillions upon trillions of years? If one is a priest, ok... but...c'mon. Hard to see a painter, or sculptor, or carpenter, or architect, or any artful visionary of any sort just "reigning" over an impermeable and everlastingly unchanging landscape of unchallenged sameness...so yeah... more details would be handy.

Scott1

The question is... What does one DO for trillions of years in the afterlife? Have you even read the OP I crafted?
I certainly did... you're one of my favorite reads (truly) --- like a TVOR without all that pesky warmth and good cheer. :D I kid.
What does a teacher, a firefighter, a soldier, a tax accountant, an actor, a musician, a lawyer/politician, an activist or civil rights advocate, a doctor/healer DO in an afterlife that requires NONE of those lifelong dedicated skills?
Well, I would have to say that man is more than their CV. A lifetime of "skills" in a certain profession is also a lifetime of "skills" in relating to other human beings (one would hope).

That civil rights advocate might not be stuffing envelopes in heaven, but I would offer that being an advocate between the living and God might be a smidge more satisfying.

We believe those in heaven continue to interact in a particular way with the living:

"I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth." -St. Thérèse of Lisieux

... and while this is not rebuilding a transmission or painting a picture, I again offer that the chance to help God and man - to forever be an agent of love and goodness - forever hear the hopes, dreams, heartache, and adoration of their fellow man and bring these to God might be a bit more rewarding.

... but I do admit I made a lamp in shop class years ago --- and that was pretty cool.

s2a

I certainly did... you're one of my favorite reads (truly) --- like a TVOR without all that pesky warmth and good cheer. :D I kid.

Well, I would have to say that man is more than their CV. A lifetime of "skills" in a certain profession is also a lifetime of "skills" in relating to other human beings (one would hope).

That civil rights advocate might not be stuffing envelopes in heaven, but I would offer that being an advocate between the living and God might be a smidge more satisfying.

We believe those in heaven continue to interact in a particular way with the living:

"I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth." -St. Thérèse of Lisieux

... and while this is not rebuilding a transmission or painting a picture, I again offer that the chance to help God and man - to forever be an agent of love and goodness - forever hear the hopes, dreams, heartache, and adoration of their fellow man and bring these to God might be a bit more rewarding.

... but I do admit I made a lamp in shop class years ago --- and that was pretty cool.

But again, you do not answer the simple conundrum presented by an eternal existence experienced by a soul that lives on ... forever...

If God and "Man" live in the same realm of "heaven", then what possible added aid or "help" does mankind require? If one has ascended into "heaven", and the entirety of mankind's future is now put to a close (as proclaimed in the book of Revelations), what further cause or need is required in redemption of any remaining mankind that has already been (prophetically) judged to one eternal realm or another?

Once one is eternally "saved" in "heaven" (which one might presume is the very epitome of "love and goodness"), what or whom remains in need of the compassion you speak of? Whom? Once in "heaven", are not all the residents there "saved" and therefore "blessed" to be in the presence of their god, forever? Is your point that "man" must remind God to remain forever compassionate... "to forever be an agent of love and goodness"?"

Even if that absurd notion is held to be an accountable reckoning of God, one must again ask why mankind would require any policing within the promised eternal existence of perfection and painless joy in an eternal heavenly bliss?

Which (even then) yet lacks any incisive or informative response as to what any singular person can do with any sustaining interest for a trillion years running...

...which time would not only be more than enough time to consume every written word ever penned by man (with a thousand literary critiques each), but would seem futility personified within a realm of eternal perfection and unending bliss.

Few have love for most book or movie critics, but I do pity those that ascend to an eternity without either to watch, read, or expound upon...especially when everything they encounter is limitless joy beyond any question.

If all "saved" and ultimately "delivered" souls can look forward to is an eternity of "servitude"to their "Master", we may as well all become personal butlers, valets, or taxi drivers... (who then needs teachers, firefighters, soldiers, or police?) to better prepare ourselves for an eternity with at least some capable job skills...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But again, you do not answer the simple conundrum presented by an eternal existence experienced by a soul that lives on ... forever...

If God and "Man" live in the same realm of "heaven", then what possible added aid or "help" does mankind require? If one has ascended into "heaven", and the entirety of mankind's future is now put to a close (as proclaimed in the book of Revelations), what further cause or need is required in redemption of any remaining mankind that has already been (prophetically) judged to one eternal realm or another?

Once one is eternally "saved" in "heaven" (which one might presume is the very epitome of "love and goodness"), what or whom remains in need of the compassion you speak of? Whom? Once in "heaven", are not all the residents there "saved" and therefore "blessed" to be in the presence of their god, forever? Is your point that "man" must remind God to remain forever compassionate... "to forever be an agent of love and goodness"?"

Even if that absurd notion is held to be an accountable reckoning of God, one must again ask why mankind would require any policing within the promised eternal existence of perfection and painless joy in an eternal heavenly bliss?

Which (even then) yet lacks any incisive or informative response as to what any singular person can do with any sustaining interest for a trillion years running...

...which time would not only be more than enough time to consume every written word ever penned by man (with a thousand literary critiques each), but would seem futility personified within a realm of eternal perfection and unending bliss.

Few have love for most book or movie critics, but I do pity those that ascend to an eternity without either to watch, read, or expound upon...especially when everything they encounter is limitless joy beyond any question.

If all "saved" and ultimately "delivered" souls can look forward to is an eternity of "servitude"to their "Master", we may as well all become personal butlers, valets, or taxi drivers... (who then needs teachers, firefighters, soldiers, or police?) to better prepare ourselves for an eternity with at least some capable job skills...
Well, I guess we can safely conclude that this particular model of the afterlife doesn't work for you.

What one does?

Vultar

Mine is not an "objection" to the concept of heaven... I only inquire as to what one does for trillions of years spent in eternity with no evident purpose within an eternal existence... which you have yet to answer or address... humorous attempts in deflection noted :)

Everyone actually goes to the same place/dimension/whatever it actually is (too hard to actually define even after being there for what seemed like hundreds of years). What does one do... well for the first bunch of time you try to understand exactly where you are, once you give up on that one then you try to find answers. You are disappointed that all the earthly answers are totally screwed up. However, you do discover there are two ways out, Resurrection and Reincarnation. Then you could be sent back. Once you found your way back, you kind of freak out the doctors that just declared you dead a few minutes prior (yes a few minutes feels like years). Then you spend the next 27 years or so trying to figure out exactly what you experienced. Then your heart gives out and you go visit again. The second time is much easier and you find out much more information as you can communicate a bit better with the other entities. Once back again you still really don't want to talk about it due to fear of being called crazy etc. But after a few more visits and with the urging of the other entities you start to research the different religions and try to see who is closest to what you know is the truth. Then you eventually join a forum an say something. BTW it is not a bad place to be at and you learn way more then you really want to, but apparently they had something in mind for me and keep sending me back. The sending back part kind of sucks as you are usually in quite a bit of pain (doesn't hurt to go but hurts coming back)

Muffled

Jesus in me
My 'heaven' isn't scriptually supported, and the only brochure is on display all the time. Nature is heaven. Just go somewhere really quiet, where there are no roads, people, shops etc; sit down and let yourself soak up the atmosphere - That's heaven.:)

I am sure that would be attainable since there is no sin in it.

That is not true. Nature has many attributes that would not likely make it to Heaven. For instance in nature I have to relieve myself but in Heaven I do not.

Heaven is pure fantasy without evil. Whatever a person takes with him spiritually, he will reproduce it in Heaven. If a love of nature is prime in a person's spirit it will be prime in Heaven.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Everyone actually goes to the same place/dimension/whatever it actually is (too hard to actually define even after being there for what seemed like hundreds of years). What does one do... well for the first bunch of time you try to understand exactly where you are, once you give up on that one then you try to find answers. You are disappointed that all the earthly answers are totally screwed up. However, you do discover there are two ways out, Resurrection and Reincarnation. Then you could be sent back. Once you found your way back, you kind of freak out the doctors that just declared you dead a few minutes prior (yes a few minutes feels like years). Then you spend the next 27 years or so trying to figure out exactly what you experienced. Then your heart gives out and you go visit again. The second time is much easier and you find out much more information as you can communicate a bit better with the other entities. Once back again you still really don't want to talk about it due to fear of being called crazy etc. But after a few more visits and with the urging of the other entities you start to research the different religions and try to see who is closest to what you know is the truth. Then you eventually join a forum an say something. BTW it is not a bad place to be at and you learn way more then you really want to, but apparently they had something in mind for me and keep sending me back. The sending back part kind of sucks as you are usually in quite a bit of pain (doesn't hurt to go but hurts coming back)

The aforesaid does not appear to be an experience in Heaven but an experience out of body.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Belinda Carlisle said that heaven is a place on earth.
Robert Plant said that there's a stairway to heaven.
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils said that, if you want to get to heaven, you've got to raise a little hell.

We can only assume that heaven, then, is the restaurant above Cheers!

What's great about it? It features Kirstie Alley before she got fat. It's also in the good old US of A. Furthermore, it's on TV. What's not to like?!

s2a

Well, that was a paragraph that took up some space… um, thank you?

Me Myself

Back to my username
Haven´t you payed attention to the paintings?

Everyone looks awesome and is naked all the time.

Don´t let the pictures decieve you though:

The orgies happen when they are not posing for the artist :D :yes:

s2a

Haven´t you payed attention to the paintings?

Everyone looks awesome and is naked all the time.

Don´t let the pictures decieve you though:

The orgies happen when they are not posing for the artist :D :yes:

Just fer fun, I heard a quote lately that seemed to ring true...

"History offers no account of naked people accomplishing anything of renown or memorable accomplishment" *

* Adam and Eve mythology noted :)