• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So This Is Christmas

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, why not? Because God says so.
Why not, is because God is Love. What you describe is God is Demands. His Demands, makes his Love, not his nature, but a reward for compliance to authority. That is not the sort of love that children respond to with a parent. It makes them feel less than loved. It makes them live in fear. That is not loving God at all. That's why.

Long ago, I questioned such views of God as to make him our Zookeeper, rather than our Refuge.

He does not want us to follow heathen practices.
Why not? And "because he says so", is not a reason. Does God want those who follow him to follow him out of fear, or out of love? Does God want blind soldiers, or wise children? My vote is the latter, which means we are allowed to ask questions. In fact, the latter requires understanding with the mind of reason, as well as the heart of Love and openness.

If you really love God you should want to act in a way that He approves.
I do. "Love works no ill". It does not matter which day of the week you choose to do whichever ritual has meaning to you. It's the intention of the heart that matters to God, not your works. Quit trying to get "saved" by telling yourself you follow the rules. That is not salvation at all. That's your ego, not God.

Last edited:

Vee

Premium Member
I would venture a guess that there are those who don't identify with Christianity that celebrate Christmas...that there are those that even call it Christmas.

Are you a non-Christian that celebrates Christmas? If so, define your worldview and tell us why you celebrate it.

I'm a Christian who doesn't celebrate Christmas because I have issues with hypocrisy and consumerism. The fact that I save money and keep my weight under control every time December comes to an end is a great bonus :)

lostwanderingsoul

Why not, is because God is Love. What you describe is God is Demands. His Demands, makes his Love, not his nature, but a reward for compliance to authority. That is not the sort of love that children respond to with a parent. It makes them feel less than loved. It makes them live in fear. That is not loving God at all. That's why.

Long ago, I questioned such views of God as to make him our Zookeeper, rather than our Refuge.

Why not? And "because he says so", is not a reason. Does God want those who follow him to follow him out of fear, or out of love? Does God want blind soldiers, or wise children? My vote is the latter, which means we are allowed to ask questions. In fact, the latter requires understanding with the mind of reason, as well as the heart of Love and openness.

I do. "Love works no ill". It does not matter which day of the week you choose to do whichever ritual has meaning to you. It's the intention of the heart that matters to God, not your works. Quit trying to get "saved" by telling yourself you follow the rules. That is not salvation at all. That's your ego, not God.
Sounds like you are smarter than God. Or at least you think so. God has rules and wants you to follow them. Parents have rules for their children and want them to follow them. They still love the children when they do not follow the rules but everyone is happier and better off when the rules are followed. I think it is a very wise child who does whar his parents want. But if you know better than God then that is great.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you are smarter than God.
One cannot be "smarter" than God, if such a thing were possible to apply to God at all, but one can be more aware than quite a number of those who claim to know what God wants or not, while having no idea what God even is. Belief is not a substitute for actual Knowledge.

Or at least you think so.
No. I don't think that about myself. You think that. It's all in your head.

God has rules and wants you to follow them.
Yes. The rule of love. That is what God want you to follow. Not this other stuff you imagine God cares about. It's your fear and ignorance that makes you imagine God is about those things you fear. This is a God of fear you see, not the God of Love.

lostwanderingsoul

One cannot be "smarter" than God, if such a thing were possible to apply to God at all, but one can be more aware than quite a number of those who claim to know what God wants or not, while having no idea what God even is. Belief is not a substitute for actual Knowledge.

No. I don't think that about myself. You think that. It's all in your head.

Yes. The rule of love. That is what God want you to follow. Not this other stuff you imagine God cares about. It's your fear and ignorance that makes you imagine God is about those things you fear. This is a God of fear you see, not the God of Love.
I am very glad you have so much "actual knowledge". Wonder where it all came from and how it all fits in that normal size head. God's knowledge is found in the Bible where He spells out exact rules to live by. But your "actual knowledge" must come from somewhere else. I think I will stay with my "fear and ignorance" which is based on God's written law and not your ideas that come from somewhere else.

MJ Bailey

Wouldn't God want for people to act like everyday is a holiday? What kind of world would it be if people treated each other with the same love and respect they give each other on designated celebratory days? Rather or not pagan traditions are incorporated into what is meant to be a celebration of an Omnipotent Existence granting the same to others doesn't really seem as relevant as the actual reason for your actions. Why do people base Religion as how one should treat one another? I mean seriously isn't that just as bad as judging a person on their nationality, race gender, etc... I love the holiday season for the mere fact I can appreciate how people treat each other. I just wish that could be a continuum.

masonlandry

Kind of not a Christian, kind of celebrate Christmas. My view on religion is that there is not a good enough reason for me to believe in a conscious deity. I believe in god, but what I call god is nothing like what most people call god. Certainly not a theistic belief, maybe qualifies as pantheism. But I admire and follow some, though not all, of the teachings of Jesus, so far as we are told those are his teachings, and the ethics that underly the stories of the Bible, because I think the reason they have been told and remembered for thousands of years is because they reflect something true about reality, even if the stories aren't literally, historically true.

I celebrate Christmas because it's fun and I enjoy it. That pretty much is the only reason I need. I don't celebrate the birth of Jesus since I don't even really believe he existed and I don't believe he was a god or a prophet. But I celebrate family, embrace the spirit of joy and kinship that Christmas brings, and love the time of year when everyone seems to be just a little nicer and happier than usual. And I enjoy the aesthetic of it. I like the decorations and all the yuletide atmosphere because it's unique to that time of the year (and I enjoy it less and less the earlier people start doing the whole Christmas thing. Generally, I'm in a Christmasy mood from about the 18th to the 25th of December, and that's all I can handle of it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes it did but my knees hurt bad before the op; so I'm looking long time - after I've had the second one done:(
No probs........ keep on keeping on. I hope the physio is gorgeous, that might help.
Come on Mr Altfish, try harder! *whip-crack...screech!*

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I would venture a guess that there are those who don't identify with Christianity that celebrate Christmas...that there are those that even call it Christmas.

Are you a non-Christian that celebrates Christmas? If so, define your worldview and tell us why you celebrate it.

Whole giving the children various experiences we have held various midwinter celebrations over the years (including christmas). The kids, (for the moment) have settled on saturnalia because they get more presents and can spend a day lording it over hubby and me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Smiles back. Satan is very good a playing games with people's minds and making them think they have knowledge that goes against God's clear knowledge. My knowledge is written down. Is yours?

I typed it somewhere on this forum. Does that count?

But while we're on the topic, is your knowledge based on experience or on something someone you never met wrote down? To which should one lend more credence?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am very glad you have so much "actual knowledge". Wonder where it all came from and how it all fits in that normal size head.
So, you reach down for personal attacks as a response? Is this meant to make you feel better about what I said about such as unloving view of God that you hold? Did I hit too close to home? I do hope so.

God's knowledge is found in the Bible where He spells out exact rules to live by.
But if you don't know how to listen to God, but rather only your fearful imaginations about God, then how do you think what you read on the pages will make any sense to you? I can tell you, they won't. You think you can hear with the ears of God, do you? And you call me arrogant. :)

But your "actual knowledge" must come from somewhere else.
Why "must" it? Who says so? You?

I think I will stay with my "fear and ignorance" which is based on God's written law and not your ideas that come from somewhere else.
That is truly tragic for you. You find that fear and ignorance brings you Peace, in any sense of the word? I don't believe so. What you have is fear, not security, not a Rock, by any means at all. God could disapprove of you on a whim, and you'd be damned. That to me, is the very definition of living in hell. Your beliefs.

lostwanderingsoul

So, you reach down for personal attacks as a response? Is this meant to make you feel better about what I said about such as unloving view of God that you hold? Did I hit too close to home? I do hope so.

But if you don't know how to listen to God, but rather only your fearful imaginations about God, then how do you think what you read on the pages will make any sense to you? I can tell you, they won't. You think you can hear with the ears of God, do you? And you call me arrogant. :)

Why "must" it? Who says so? You?

That is truly tragic for you. You find that fear and ignorance brings you Peace, in any sense of the word? I don't believe so. What you have is fear, not security, not a Rock, by any means at all. God could disapprove of you on a whim, and you'd be damned. That to me, is the very definition of living in hell. Your beliefs.
When you are willing to reveal the source of your beliefs I will consider them. I have absolutely no fear. God tells me what to do and I try my best to do it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you are willing to reveal the source of your beliefs I will consider them.
When you are willing to consider the thoughts of others, I'll tell you. So far, you're not very convincing.

I have absolutely no fear. God tells me what to do and I try my best to do it.
And if you fail? Then what? Tell me how secure you really are, not just what you want others to believe.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It's a guaranteed day off spent with family, lots of free food and mandated alcohol consumption. I could be a freaking anti theist and I'd still celebrate Christmas!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, cover to cover, the bible says God's people "should not
be like the nations around you."
Unfortunately, the Protestants mimic the Catholics and the
Catholics borrowed ideas from the pagans.

I would be interested in seeing the specific scripture that states that "God's people should not be like the nations around you." If it's cover to cover, it should be quite easy to find. Would you mind sharing?