• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So This Is Christmas

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I would venture a guess that there are those who don't identify with Christianity that celebrate Christmas...that there are those that even call it Christmas.

Are you a non-Christian that celebrates Christmas? If so, define your worldview and tell us why you celebrate it.

lostwanderingsoul

I do not celebrate Christmas because it has Pagan origins and I believe Jesus was not born anytime near December 25. Pagans celebrated in late December by giving gifts and decorating trees and burning a yule log. God says we should not copy the practices of Pagans.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I do not celebrate Christmas because it has Pagan origins and I believe Jesus was not born anytime near December 25. Pagans celebrated in late December by giving gifts and decorating trees and burning a yule log. God says we should not copy the practices of Pagans.

Yeah, but pagans celebrate everything all the time in every way. If there was NO overlap, we'd be reduced to celebrating only on February 6 and August 19 by baking bread that had our toenail clippings in it and carving carrots into life-sized replicas of the human spleen.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course this is not the REAL Christmas but it is the way most people today celebrate it. It is fine to celebrate Jesus birth but we are not to do it in the same way that heathens celebrate.

So if not Christmas, when do you celebrate Jesus' birth?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jeremiah chapter 10 calls them heathens instead of Pagans and specifically talks about decorating trees. We are told not to follow these customs.
Specifically its talking about a carved wooen idol worshiped as a god.
But really all Christian customs have pagan origins simply by virtue of formulating in a pagan environment. From the flood story to demons and devils to the trinity to hell, all draw on earlier pagan mythos.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I call what I celebrate Christmas for ease of communication but it much more resembles an atheistic solstice celebration. Passing of long nights, scarcity from the garden and being isolated from the community by increased illness and bleak weather. And a big feast to use the last of perishable meats and vegetables which won't be stored long term.
I imagine these factors are the literal reason for the season, historically speaking

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I would venture a guess that there are those who don't identify with Christianity that celebrate Christmas...that there are those that even call it Christmas.

Are you a non-Christian that celebrates Christmas? If so, define your worldview and tell us why you celebrate it.
I eat cake and put some decorations. Just another excuse to have some fun and social get together really.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It's a secular holiday.
It sweeps us up.
We endure it.
The whole gift giving thing is annoying.
I don't care for building departments, courts & such
treating it as a month long vacation (slow down).
But my daughter gets time off to visit.
So Christmas is good.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yeah, but pagans celebrate everything all the time in every way. If there was NO overlap, we'd be reduced to celebrating only on February 6 and August 19 by baking bread that had our toenail clippings in it and carving carrots into life-sized replicas of the human spleen.

And mine always seem to turn out looking like the pancreas...