• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, Ten Planets then?

GoodbyeDave

Evidence?
This refers to my statement that astrologers predicted the fall of the USSR. It was during an afternoon session at a series of seminars in England on the outer planets. A transcript was published but I don't have the source to hand. You want the information, you do the literature search!
Makes me wonder how astrologers would do if it was discovered half the Capricorn stars died a few billion years ago?
If you are going to make comments on any subject, it is useful to know something about it. The signs of the zodiac are sectors of the sky generated by the structure of the earth's orbit. The solstice and equinox points divide it into equal quadrants, which (on the basis of experience) are trisected. The signs are named for the constellations that roughly corresponded to the when they were discovered, but those constellations have nothing to do with them. Any elementary textbook on astronomy (e.g. Norton) would tell you the difference between signs and constellations, let alone one on astrology.

When I was at university, I was taught that you examined the evidence before making up your mind about it. Evidently things are different where you come from.

ecco

Veteran Member
A problem with many astrology practitioners is that they don't confirm
their work using other scientific methods. Before proffering a prognostication
of any import, it should first be confirmed using phrenological analysis,
ballistic osteo-divination, camellia sinensis readings, etc.
Every once in a while you do come up with some pretty good comments.

ecco

Veteran Member
Luckily for me, I deal with planets as an astrologer, not an astronomer. If you need it in a chart for accurate results, it's a planet. Thanks to Pluto, astrologers predicted the collapse of the USSR a decade before it happened, which no-one else managed. On that basis, Pluto is in; Ceres, Chiron, and the like are out.

You, of course, have evidence of this.

Evidence?
This refers to my statement that astrologers predicted the fall of the USSR. It was during an afternoon session at a series of seminars in England on the outer planets. A transcript was published but I don't have the source to hand. You want the information, you do the literature search!
Yeah. It doesn't work that way. When you make a ridiculous assertion, it is your responsibility to substantiate it when asked.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yeah. It doesn't work that way. When you make a ridiculous assertion, it is your responsibility to substantiate it when asked.
One technique the believers of woo use when making predictions is to make a slew of them. If a person makes enough predictions some are bound to be correct. Of course the more specific these predictions are the more that need to be made.

ecco

Veteran Member
When I was at university, I was taught that you examined the evidence before making up your mind about it. Evidently things are different where you come from.
The evidence for astrology has been examined where you come from, where I come from, where Shadow Wolf comes from. It has always been found to be complete BS.

I'd ask you for evidence that astrology has any credence, but first you need to show evidence for your assertion regarding the fall of the Soviet Union.

ecco

Veteran Member
One technique the believers of woo use when making predictions is to make a slew of them. If a person makes enough predictions some are bound to be correct. Of course the more specific these predictions are the more that need to be made.
Or just keep 'em vague:
An airplane will crash between December and November. It will have a logo painted on the tail.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So, in other words, it wasn't conclusive or specific or precise enough that you can't just do a quick search and provide us with this evidence?
If you are going to make comments on any subject, it is useful to know something about it. The signs of the zodiac are sectors of the sky generated by the structure of the earth's orbit. The solstice and equinox points divide it into equal quadrants, which (on the basis of experience) are trisected. The signs are named for the constellations that roughly corresponded to the when they were discovered, but those constellations have nothing to do with them. Any elementary textbook on astronomy (e.g. Norton) would tell you the difference between signs and constellations, let alone one on astrology.
I know what the zodiac symbols are - enough so I've been pointing out astrology neglects to include one. I'm also aware of how far away these stars are, so far away that they could have died centuries ago and we won't know for centuries to come. And when these things were discovered, that was so long ago that their exact alignment doesn't match up to how the ancient Chinese and Greeks observed them. That was even in the news a few years ago when people were like "oh, yeah, these things aren't static given the expanding nature of the universe."
I used to believe in astrology until I asked myself how it's possible for the same thing to apply to the millions of Libras, the thousands born on 9/29, and the hundreds born early morning - before, on, and after '86. It's absurd to think it could. It wasn't any knew knowledge, but rather doing nothing more than logically working through a question.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Or just keep 'em vague:
An airplane will crash between December and November. It will have a logo painted on the tail.
The main problem with prophecy. Make it vague enough and suddenly it's accurate enough that it can apply to anything. Hence why the past 2000 years has always been near the second coming of Christ and why Nostradamus is still a thing.

ecco

Veteran Member
Some citations, please?
Perhaps you missed the second paragraph of my post:

The evidence for astrology has been examined where you come from, where I come from, where Shadow Wolf comes from. It has always been found to be complete BS.

I'd ask you for evidence that astrology has any credence, but first you need to show evidence for your assertion regarding the fall of the Soviet Union.

GoodbyeDave

I've dug out my source. It was a lecture, with questions from the audience, given by Dr Liz Green in April 1980 at a conference organised by the Wrekin Trust in Bath. She said, among other things
I would understand these transits [in 1988-90] in part to mean that there is some kind of severing of the interconnecting countries that make up the Soviet Union, which of course they could only do if the central government were to collapse. … So it may be that Pluto takes on the very literal meaning of death, and the USSR will no longer be a union. … When Saturn gets mixed up with the outer planets, one of the results is that things exteriorise themselves in concrete terms … I would therefore expect … concrete changes in Russia.
This is transcribed in the book The outer planets and their cycles which was deposited at the Library of Congress in 1982 (card no. 82-45633), clearly before the events she predicts.

And now perhaps you can cite your sources for the claim that astrology has been disproved?

Ellen Brown

I've dug out my source. It was a lecture, with questions from the audience, given by Dr Liz Green in April 1980 at a conference organised by the Wrekin Trust in Bath. She said, among other things

This is transcribed in the book The outer planets and their cycles which was deposited at the Library of Congress in 1982 (card no. 82-45633), clearly before the events she predicts.

And now perhaps you can cite your sources for the claim that astrology has been disproved?

The three wise men may have used it. It does not interest me at this time.

ecco

Veteran Member
I've dug out my source. It was a lecture, with questions from the audience, given by Dr Liz Green in April 1980 at a conference organised by the Wrekin Trust in Bath. She said, among other things...

Originally you said...
Thanks to Pluto, astrologers predicted the collapse of the USSR a decade before it happened, which no-one else managed.

So it wasn't "astrologers" who predicted the demise of the USSR, it was one astrologer. If astrology has any validity there should have been hundreds of astrologers making that prediction since they are all looking at the same "data".

On the flip side, many people made the same prediction, sooner and with more detail.
Predictions of the dissolution of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia

George Orwell, author of Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four, wrote in 1946 that "the Russian regime will either democratize itself or it will perish"

Winston Churchill made repeated claims about the imminent fall of the Soviet Union throughout his political career.​

Zbigniew Brzezinski, National Security Advisor to U.S. President Jimmy Carter, predicted the dissolution of the Soviet Union on several occasions.​

Here's one with a lot more detail than from your psychic:
Ferenc Farkas de Kisbarnak, an exiled Hungarian general and leader of the Anti-Bolshevik Bloc of Nations (ABN), predicted the dissolution of the Soviet Union due to nationalist pressures. From June 12–14 of 1950, the Convention of the ABN was held in Edinburgh, Scotlandunder the auspices of the Scottish League for European Freedom. At the conference, Farkas gave a speech entitled "The War Against Bolshevism and the Military Factors Represented by the Subjugated Nations" where he predicted the disintegration of the USSR along ethnic lines which would eventually leave European Russia isolated. He predicted the eventual independence of Ukraine, the Baltic states, Turkestan, the Idel-Ural republics, and Siberia.

So, you were wrong on both counts.

How many of your psychics predicted 9/11? The Simpsons did in 1997.

How The Simpsons predicted 9/11, Trump and Disney-Fox
image.jpg

‘There’s a brochure that says New York at $9 a day, and behind the nine are the twin towers. It looks like a 9/11.

GoodbyeDave

So it wasn't "astrologers" who predicted the demise of the USSR, it was one astrologer. If astrology has any validity there should have been hundreds of astrologers making that prediction since they are all looking at the same "data".
Yes, there were quite a few: those who had studied the horoscope for the USSR, which most of us weren't interested in. The discussions took place in Journals which I haven't kept and you wouldn't have access to, so I quoted a source available in book form.

On the flip side, many people made the same prediction, sooner and with more detail.
So some-one who says "eventually the USSR will collapse" is giving more detail than someone who says it will collapse between 1988 and 1990?

I try to remain charitable on this site, but you exemplify the total resources of atheists: foolishness, disingenuousness, and (when all else fails) feeble mockery. Off to ignore with you!

ecco

Veteran Member

Yes, there were quite a few: those who had studied the horoscope for the USSR, which most of us weren't interested in. The discussions took place in Journals which I haven't kept and you wouldn't have access to, so I quoted a source available in book form.

You say, "Yes, there were quite a few", but you can provide no evidence of this. Would you believe me if I said "The Secret Society of American Atheists" correctly predicted the exact details of the downfall of the USSR in 1961?

So some-one who says "eventually the USSR will collapse" is giving more detail than someone who says it will collapse between 1988 and 1990?

editions:ISBN0916360601 - Google Books
Bibliographic information

Title The Outer Planets & Their Cycles: The Astrology of the Collective
Lectures on modern astrology
Author Liz Greene
Publisher CRCS Publications, 1983
ISBN 0916360172, 9780916360177
Length 182 pages
Subjects
Body, Mind & Spirit

Astrology

General

Is this the book you are referring to? This says it was published in 1983. You said it was deposited in the Library of Congress in 1982. No biggie. However, the outline says it's about Body, Mind & Spirit. Am I supposed to take your word that it contains any reference to the breakup of the USSR?

In my posted links I referenced Farkas. He predicted the eventual independence of Ukraine, the Baltic states, Turkestan, the Idel-Ural republics, and Siberia.

What details did your author provide?

I try to remain charitable on this site, but you exemplify the total resources of atheists: foolishness, disingenuousness, and (when all else fails) feeble mockery.

What you call my atheistic foolishness, disingenuousness(sic) and feeble mockery is, in reality, my skepticism. When I sense BS, I tend to ask for verification. So far you have provided none.

BTW, one other thing you failed to comment on:
How many of your psychics predicted 9/11? The Simpsons did in 1997.

Off to ignore with you!

Golly! If I were psychic, I would have known you would do that. How lame.