• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, Ten Planets then?

GoodbyeDave

Any sensible classification has a purpose, so different purposes need different classifications. To a biologist, an octopus is not a fish, but people who catch octopuses are fishermen and the people who sell them are fishmongers.

I can see the reasoning behind the reclassification of Pluto, although I think the question of long-term orbital stability should be involved in the definition of a planet. Unfortunately, that's a bit hard to predict!

Luckily for me, I deal with planets as an astrologer, not an astronomer. If you need it in a chart for accurate results, it's a planet. Thanks to Pluto, astrologers predicted the collapse of the USSR a decade before it happened, which no-one else managed. On that basis, Pluto is in; Ceres, Chiron, and the like are out.

GoodbyeDave

My biggest complaint right now is that no font set I know of places the "! and the ?" one space out from the body of the sentence. How frustrating !!!
I've just noticed that bit. I too like the old-style typography, with a thin space before : ; ! ? Of course printers put them in by hand, as French compositors did with « » The answer in a wordprocessor is probably the auto-replacement function, although I just do it by hand.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Any sensible classification has a purpose, so different purposes need different classifications. To a biologist, an octopus is not a fish, but people who catch octopuses are fishermen and the people who sell them are fishmongers.

I can see the reasoning behind the reclassification of Pluto, although I think the question of long-term orbital stability should be involved in the definition of a planet. Unfortunately, that's a bit hard to predict!

Luckily for me, I deal with planets as an astrologer, not an astronomer. If you need it in a chart for accurate results, it's a planet. Thanks to Pluto, astrologers predicted the collapse of the USSR a decade before it happened, which no-one else managed. On that basis, Pluto is in; Ceres, Chiron, and the like are out.
When will China collapse? Date and time please.
Who will be the Democrat presidential candidate in the next election?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Good question.

1 to 3: Mercury, Venus, Earth
4 to 6: Mars, Jupiter, Saturn
7 to 8: Uranus, Neptune
9: ?
10: Pluto (depending on how it is categorized)

The tenth may be Ceres, or the unformed planet that would be in the asteroid belt.
Nibiru. But don't tell anyone that I ever said that. :p

Ellen Brown

When will China collapse? Date and time please.
Who will be the Democrat presidential candidate in the next election?

Perhaps it is more likely that America will collapse before China if our politicians do not pull their fingers out. President Eisenhower warned us about the abusive power of the Military/Industrial complex, but they kept the American public well fed and happy and made us all whores to them.

Ellen Brown

I've just noticed that bit. I too like the old-style typography, with a thin space before : ; ! ? Of course printers put them in by hand, as French compositors did with « » The answer in a wordprocessor is probably the auto-replacement function, although I just do it by hand.

As do I. A man sent me a link on this thread to Fonts but I do not know which one does as I wish, and if they carry Malware?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I deal with planets as an astrologer, not an astronomer.
They had to make astronomy because astrology is so full of crap. And when you think about it, the practice is horribly outdated, neglects to include one of the zodiac signs, and how can such a thing apply to everyone who was born a Libra (my brother and I are both Libras and are basically polar opposites of each other) or Cancer or Ophiuchus, and how can it make predictions when the planets and stars are all drifting about in their own directions throughout the universe? And what happens to the field when these planets and stars die?
Thanks to Pluto, astrologers predicted the collapse of the USSR a decade before it happened,
Evidence?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I saw a News Piece today where the writer said that some are suggesting that it was a mistake to take away Pluto's Planet status. How inane.
Fair question, though. The definition of "planet" that they're using is a bit wonky: what does it really mean to say that a planet has "cleared its orbit?"

If you're going to say that Pluto hasn't "cleared its orbit" because its orbit intersects with Neptune's, then shouldn't we also be demoting Neptune?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
:facepalm:

Ellen Brown

Fair question, though. The definition of "planet" that they're using is a bit wonky: what does it really mean to say that a planet has "cleared its orbit?"

If you're going to say that Pluto hasn't "cleared its orbit" because its orbit intersects with Neptune's, then shouldn't we also be demoting Neptune?

Perhaps the more important issue is placing weed in Coca Cola, or not?

Milton Platt

Often, Science folk have the most worthless discussions, and for what? I don't care if poor Pluto is a Planet or an Asteroid, not one bit. The most interesting thing I heard the other day is that the Moon is hollow. So what?

My biggest complaint right now is that no font set I know of places the "! and the ?" one space out from the body of the sentence. How frustrating !!!

I also do not care if Pluto is a planet, or a proto-planet, or an asteroid, or whatever. Scientists are just trying to come to an agreement on the definition of what the word planet means, not that Pluto exists.

Why does the exclamation point and the question mark have to be one space out and not the period, the comma, colon, the semicolon, and all the rest? what makes them special?

Ellen Brown

I also do not care if Pluto is a planet, or a proto-planet, or an asteroid, or whatever. Scientists are just trying to come to an agreement on the definition of what the word planet means, not that Pluto exists.

Why does the exclamation point and the question mark have to be one space out and not the period, the comma, colon, the semicolon, and all the rest? what makes them special?

It is visually more pleasing, and it gives the reader some clue about the sentence before it is read, owing to the fact that it is easier to see with peripheral vision. In Spanish, wherever a ? Is used at the end of the sentence, and upside down ? is at the beginning for that reason.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They had to make astronomy because astrology is so full of crap. And when you think about it, the practice is horribly outdated, neglects to include one of the zodiac signs, and how can such a thing apply to everyone who was born a Libra (my brother and I are both Libras and are basically polar opposites of each other) or Cancer or Ophiuchus, and how can it make predictions when the planets and stars are all drifting about in their own directions throughout the universe? And what happens to the field when these planets and stars die?

Evidence?
A problem with many astrology practitioners is that they don't confirm
their work using other scientific methods. Before proffering a prognostication
of any import, it should first be confirmed using phrenological analysis,
ballistic osteo-divination, camellia sinensis readings, etc.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A problem with many astrology practitioners is that they don't confirm
their work using other scientific methods. Before proffering a prognostication
of any import, it should first be confirmed using phrenological analysis,
ballistic osteo-divination, camellia sinensis readings, etc.
Makes me wonder how astrologers would do if it was discovered half the Capricorn stars died a few billion years ago? Does the residual time traveling light still mean anything in spite of the fact the star from whence it came no longer exists? Does being able to see a dead star as still living effect anything? Would the newspaper read "horoscope pending replacement constellation?" Or would Ophiucus be inserted to fill that gap? (could that be reason astrology acknowledges 12 zodiacs rather than 13?)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Thank you, but i was aware of that. I'm one of the people that don't really think Pluto is a planet but a dwarf planet. Nonetheless, it is fascinating that there is still debate on this :D
I like that there is debate because it affirms scientific discourse is alive and thriving. If Creationists want a scientific controversy, the classification of Pluto is where it is found.