• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, Ten Planets then?

Ellen Brown

Often, Science folk have the most worthless discussions, and for what? I don't care if poor Pluto is a Planet or an Asteroid, not one bit. The most interesting thing I heard the other day is that the Moon is hollow. So what?

My biggest complaint right now is that no font set I know of places the "! and the ?" one space out from the body of the sentence. How frustrating !!!

whirlingmerc

Often, Science folk have the most worthless discussions, and for what? I don't care if poor Pluto is a Planet or an Asteroid, not one bit. The most interesting thing I heard the other day is that the Moon is hollow. So what?

My biggest complaint right now is that no font set I know of places the "! and the ?" one space out from the body of the sentence. How frustrating !!!

I really don't think the moon is hollow but some Russian scientist suggested it was a staging area for extraterestians coming to earth and that odd idea kinda stuck in some minds

We have a very special moon, biggest relative to the size of the planet of all ... it helps stabilize the earth gyroscopically, helps with our tides and it gives us beautiful eclipses no where else seen in the solar system. And best of all the moon is not magnetic so it doesn't interfere with our very import to life magnetic field which also helps retain our atmosphere. The moon is large enough for an atmosphere and ocean but the solar winds strip its air away without a magnetic field

The planets are all very different and without a clear and compelling theory of origin of moon or planets they are a great argument for the solar system as created by God. The huge magnetic fields of Jupiter and giving off 2.5 times the amount of heat it takes in leans much more in favor of a recent creation than an exceeding old age

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I saw a News Piece today where the writer said that some are suggesting that it was a mistake to take away Pluto's Planet status. How inane.
Scientific definitions and scientific reporting lead to such situations. Pluto still isn't an asteroid, though.

Ellen Brown

I really don't think the moon is hollow but some Russian scientist suggested it was a staging area for extraterestians coming to earth and that odd idea kinda stuck in some minds

We have a very special moon, biggest relative to the size of the planet of all ... it helps stabilize the earth gyroscopically, helps with our tides and it gives us beautiful eclipses no where else seen in the solar system. And best of all the moon is not magnetic so it doesn't interfere with our very import to life magnetic field which also helps retain our atmosphere. The moon is large enough for an atmosphere and ocean but the solar winds strip its air away without a magnetic field

The planets are all very different and without a clear and compelling theory of origin of moon or planets they are a great argument for the solar system as created by God. The huge magnetic fields of Jupiter and giving off 2.5 times the amount of heat it takes in leans much more in favor of a recent creation than an exceeding old age

I did so wish the Moon to be hollow. :(

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

You really need to look up the nonsensical claims that you make. Yes, Jupiter us still giving off heat. That is not evidence for a young universe. The fact is that any body will be "giving off heat" forever if one has an accurate enough of a thermometer. Right now Jupiter is losing about a millionth of a Kelvin a year in temperature. At that rate its loss of heat does not indicate a young creation:

Specific Arguments - Internal Heat

Also, complete eclipses of the Sun are not limited to the Earth. They are very rare events here but commonplace on Jupiter and Saturn. Probably on the other gas giants as well.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I hear a lectujre from one who stridently called it a planet. It's all a matter of definition, of course. Everyone agrees about it's vital statistics.

The problem with calling Pluto a planet is that it would mean there are at least four other bodies that would be considered planets and as many as ten right now with only more likely to be found:

Dwarf planet - Wikipedia

A redefinition was needed. Pluto is now a planetoid and will not be a planet again unless you want a whole host of planets.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
The problem with calling Pluto a planet is that it would mean there are at least four other bodies that would be considered planets and as many as ten right now with only more likely to be found:

Dwarf planet - Wikipedia

A redefinition was needed. Pluto is now a planetoid and will not be a planet again unless you want a whole host of planets.
I am aware of the argument. apparently astrophysicists, or at least some of them, are happy for there to be 13 or more planets.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am aware of the argument. apparently astrophysicists, or at least some of them, are happy for there to be 13 or more planets.

I have seen some propose redefining planet as any object large enough to be spherical from the force of its own gravity as a "planet". By that definition our Moon and even the asteroid Ceres would be "planets".

AManCalledHorse

If you build it they will come

Jupiter is believed to be shrinking by 2cm per year. If that has been consistent for 4.5bys, it has shrank near 21% of its current size.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Jupiter is believed to be shrinking by 2cm per year. If that has been consistent for 4.5bys, it has shrank near 21% of its current size.

That rate may not have been constant. Though Jupiter would have had quite a high heat of formation from the loss of potential energy. Heat from Jupiter would be from the original loss of gravitational potential energy, radioactive decay and of course the continued gravitational collapse.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Establishing a common terminology and clearly defining the meaning of the words used may well be boring or even irritating, but there is a practical need to do that in technical fields such as astronomy.

David1967

Premium Member
I saw a News Piece today where the writer said that some are suggesting that it was a mistake to take away Pluto's Planet status. How inane.

Pluto has been reduced to the status of Dwarf planet. I heard however that he is officially protesting the demotion.