• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So shocking!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Have any of you passed out from just seeing something shocking? Probably my only experience of such has been whilst watching two films - Bullitt and also Bonnie and Clyde - during both of which I passed out after some quite violent scenes (at a cinema - I was on my own, and it seems no one noticed). This was in my student days, so likely a sensitive soul then. :cry: And I did tend to faint in other circumstances - pain in delicate places or just for unknown reasons (once in a café).

Anything similar?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nope. Not me, anyways. Back when I was in high school, in health class the film strip about whatever showed pictures of blood (I dont remember details) and a student did faint over it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Nope. Not me, anyways. Back when I was in high school, in health class the film strip about whatever showed pictures of blood (I dont remember details) and a student did faint over it.

Well it came as a bit of a shock to me - that violence might do that. Not sure what it was in my early life but it seemed to have disappeared over the decades - the number of injuries I sustained probably helping. :eek:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
No, blood and gore don't make me faint, but it does upset me

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Have any of you passed out from just seeing something shocking? Probably my only experience of such has been whilst watching two films - Bullitt and also Bonnie and Clyde - during both of which I passed out after some quite violent scenes (I was on my own, and it seems no one noticed). This was in my student days, so likely a sensitive soul then. :cry: And I did tend to faint in other circumstances - pain in delicate places or just for unknown reasons (once in a café).

Anything similar?

I didn't pass out, but that "hear no evil, see no evil, and speak no evil" isn't just an idiom.

Years ago, I was at the bus stop with a couple of other people. A guy came out in front of the buses parked. One car out of a few decided to curve around the buses and near hit the guy on his side. He turned out all right but each of us looked just like these monkeys.

download.jpg

I was the speak no evil one.

Heyo

Veteran Member
No, blood and gore don't make me faint, but it does upset me
Same here. I'm pretty immune to splatter scenes. I love Tarantino. But when it's real it can get to my stomach. Once I threw up after having to put a chicken down who barely escaped a fox but was too far gone to be saved.
Doesn't happen always. I think what upsets me most is when I can't help.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Have any of you passed out from just seeing something shocking? Probably my only experience of such has been whilst watching two films - Bullitt and also Bonnie and Clyde - during both of which I passed out after some quite violent scenes (I was on my own, and it seems no one noticed). This was in my student days, so likely a sensitive soul then. :cry: And I did tend to faint in other circumstances - pain in delicate places or just for unknown reasons (once in a café).

Anything similar?

Working as the night manager of a hotel as a young man I had a guest blow his head off with a shotgun late one night. I didn't faint when I went into the room, but the images still haunt me at times 30 years later.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I didn't pass out, but that "hear no evil, see no evil, and speak no evil" isn't just an idiom.

Years ago, I was at the bus stop with a couple of other people. A guy came out in front of the buses parked. One car out of a few decided to curve around the buses and near hit the guy on his side. He turned out all right but each of us looked just like these monkeys.

View attachment 41706

I was the speak no evil one.

That looks like me and my two brothers - two and half years separating us - but a lot more now. :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Same here. I'm pretty immune to splatter scenes. I love Tarantino. But when it's real it can get to my stomach. Once I threw up after having to put a chicken down who barely escaped a fox but was too far gone to be saved.
Doesn't happen always. I think what upsets me most is when I can't help.

One of the things I hated to have to do, ending the life of a frog (or toad) that had been caught by a strimmer. :(

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Working as the night manager of a hotel as a young man I had a guest blow his head off with a shotgun late one night. I didn't faint when I went into the room, but the images still haunt me at times 30 years later.

I bet - not something that tends to leave one's memory.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Have any of you passed out from just seeing something shocking?
Passing out while watching films, as in falling asleep, I have, but not going into coma or something like that.

Anything similar?
When I saw the matrix movie, in a cinema in India, I got very sick in my stomach.
I meditated and asked why/how, and I was told:
"You are very open, because you stayed in the Ashram, hence the hate of the main character came into you"

Good lesson. To be able to experience the Divine, I need to be "open", but to not get sick I need to "close" depending who I am with

I understand the Yogis, who want to experience the Divine, went to the Himalayas, so they could stay "open" all the time

Of course when you have perfected in sadhana, you can switch between "open" and "close" in a nano-second, but that needs still heaps of practice.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There was one time I came close.

I went to see a particular movie that I shall not give the dignity of naming with some friends. The movie was known for its over-the-top violence, and it was a mistake for me to even agree to go with them to see this film. There was one scene where I just about got up and walked out of the theater it made me so physically ill. The damn thing should have been rated NC-17 with how bad it was. I can't understand how the film even got made, much less became something of a cult hit at the time. Any good plot it had was totally destroyed by the over-the-top, routine, gratuitous violence. It added nothing to the film and took away everything. Maybe watching it on a small screen would have been okay, but in a theater it was literally nauseating.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Have any of you passed out from just seeing something shocking? Probably my only experience of such has been whilst watching two films - Bullitt and also Bonnie and Clyde - during both of which I passed out after some quite violent scenes (at a cinema - I was on my own, and it seems no one noticed). This was in my student days, so likely a sensitive soul then. :cry: And I did tend to faint in other circumstances - pain in delicate places or just for unknown reasons (once in a café).

Anything similar?

Only when they draw blood from me for blood tests.

Blood on TV, movies. pictures don't bother me. It's not something I can consciously control. I suspect it may be genetically embedded into my subconscious. You see blood coming out of your body, your brain goes into shutdown mode to limit the flow of blood. Fainting at the sight of blood may be kept a few of my ancestors alive. :shrug:

Now I just don't look when they draw blood and I'm fine.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Only when they draw blood from me for blood tests.

Blood on TV, movies. pictures don't bother me. It's not something I can consciously control. I suspect it may be genetically embedded into my subconscious. You see blood coming out of your body, your brain goes into shutdown mode to limit the flow of blood. Fainting at the sight of blood may be kept a few of my ancestors alive. :shrug:

Now I just don't look when they draw blood and I'm fine.

Perhaps it's just adolescence that was an issue (although in my early twenties then), and my just getting so involved in the film - knowing of course that it wasn't real. You are probably right about our natural reactions to such though.