• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So many Religions to choose from...

Do you feel you have the discernment to identify the true faith?

• Yes

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
It disgusts me that God insists everyone accepts the truth with faith.

Hello

Therein lies the error in the thought process. When did God say the above ?

Lord Krishna says in the Bhagavad Geeta (prime scripture in Hinduism)

Approach a Self-Realized saint with a humble attitude and ask questions. They will point you to the path (everyone is at a different stage spiritually so the assignments given will be tougher or easier)
You must have faith in the spiritual teacher - that they will guide you considering your best interests,
have faith in their teachings, their lessons, path, pointers, methods they give you.

If you follow the directions faithfully, you will reach ME.

However, the scriptures, the Supreme Lord, and the preceptor, always ask the disciple to think for themselves and apply the knowledge.
The proof is in the pudding.
A good teacher will provide stop-checks - signs of spiritual progress or regress

The teacher points to the moon, pointer to the goal. Disciple has to reach the goal by following the directions faithfully

In the Bhagvad Geeta , after imparting the Greatest Divine knowledge to Arjuna, Lord Krishna says "This is what I think you should do. Now do as you see fit" -- God gives free will , God gives room for analysis, think things thru.

God is the best parent.

That applies to any worldly school or college education as well

namaste

Last edited:

Grandliseur

Does anyone else here feel like they aren't smart enough to choose the true faith, were one to exist?

There are thousands of Religions that claim to be true. They can't all be. Maybe all of them have some truth and some falsehood?
From my perspective, I have no problem though I have rejected all churches.
Many things permit elimination, but at times knowledge is a must to see through the veil covering this subject.
-------
A few examples of filters:
At this time of the world,
God must be speaking to mankind in general, not to a specific language that is the only language in which God's words must be read to be true.

God must be the creator of all and all things in some beginning. One would expect a short account of this.

God must be speaking of some hope for people who do what he demands of us.
He must be promising hope for the righteous and wrath on the wicked. There should be hope for the poorest among us for a humane life, not homeless and without the means to exist.
He must show that no longer shall the ultra rich tyrannize others with slave wages while they live like kings and queens.

He must be promising to correct the terrible things done to the planet, that is, he must be promising to fix this problem.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Perhaps "the truth" has yet to be fully ascertained, and the religions only serve to both cloud and stagnate the water in search of such.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There can only be one truth and it is absolute. What makes the most sense.
So, what makes the most sense to you is the absolute truth? What happens when you meet someone who has a different idea that makes more sense than your ideas do to them? Which one of you is correct?

Also, what happens when what you believe today is absolute truth is something you no longer believe tomorrow? Were you wrong today, and you truly don't know what the truth really is?

I believe that the truth is truth whether you believe it or not. Choosing to ignore the truth doesn't change the truth.
Sort of like climate change deniers? The truth exists whether they believe it or not?

But I'd say there is a difference however between truth and facts. Fact are facts, like climate change is happening. Truths are constructs which act as roadmaps for us, where some truths are better or more effective, better suited for a particular task. I personally do not see truths as absolute, but relative to the individual or their group, reflective of how their minds see the the world. There is an intersection of these maps, or truths, and the factual world. No one can legitimately claim to have "absolute truth" because all humans are and will always be partial - as a fact. Our truths about the world, are not the same thing as the world itself.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
*** A MORE OFFICIAL LOOKING MOD POST ***

Preachy and debating posts have been cleaned up and removed. Please refrain from debating in the Interfaith Discussion forum area as it is not in keeping with the rules for this area.

Riders

This is why I like the Unitarian Universalist church and the Unity church and other Universal organizations because they include all religions.Then I know at Unity and UU You can be free to search and study any religion.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
If you are earnestly seeking, prayerfully seeking, the One True God will find YOU, and help you to build your faith in His religion. You cannot do it on your own, our sin filled minds are not capable. But the One True God says that He will renew us and lead us. Your faith will soar.
ronandcarol

arthra

Baha'i
Does anyone else here feel like they aren't smart enough to choose the true faith, were one to exist?
There are thousands of Religions that claim to be true. They can't all be. Maybe all of them have some truth and some falsehood?

There are many religions that have varied social contexts and periods of time. If you study them I think you can find where they agree in some respects. Where they usually differ is in the various laws and ordinances that were important perhaps for the period in which they were revealed. For me there is a common Divine thread woven in them.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

pretty big drop off, after #1 though....

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
There are thousands of Religions that claim to be true

I like the Buddhist approach - don't take anyone's word for the truth - just examine your own thoughts and discover which thoughts lead to suffering and which thoughts bring peace of mind.

You may discover that peace of mind comes from thoughts of forgiveness, compassion, kindness & gratitude.

108 Buddha Quotes on Meditation, Spirituality, and Happiness

"May all beings be happy!"

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I think the whole 'one true faith and I have found it' has more to do with a person's ego, than anything else.
What does saying that have to do with ego? They didn't say they 'founded,' ie., started, it. All that indicates to me is that they were searching for it and found it.

The disciple Andrew said something similar when he told Peter that he found the Christ.

Take care.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I like the Buddhist approach - don't take anyone's word for the truth - just examine your own thoughts and discover which thoughts lead to suffering and which thoughts bring peace of mind.

You may discover that peace of mind comes from thoughts of forgiveness, compassion, kindness & gratitude.

108 Buddha Quotes on Meditation, Spirituality, and Happiness

"May all beings be happy!"

But I gotta think about paying my bills! Oh, the pain, the pain!