• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Long NASA...

silvermoon383

So long NASA, it's been nice knowing you. You've been a dear companion for all these years, giving us something to aspire to.

So long lunar missions. It was a dreamy romance in the past, and we so wanted to renew it...

So long Martian missions. We've had our eye on you for so long, but we'll have to keep our distance for a lot longer now.

Well...apparently I'll have a better math/science education thanks to our new president's proposed budget, but w/ NASA with a severely curtailed budget, what in the world will I, a major space geek whose only ambition is to work in space, apply my degree to?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Can you quit being so melodramatic.

Tonight is historic and I think in this moment it would be best for you to respect the decision the country has made.

silvermoon383

Oh I respect the decision, but there's nothing that says I have to like it.

Based on what I've read about President-Elect Obama's goals and proposals my chosen field is going to be facing some serious troubles, and that directly impacts my plans for the future.

You call it a melodramatic gripe, I call it an legitimate cause for concern.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Oh I respect the decision, but there's nothing that says I have to like it.

Based on what I've read about President-Elect Obama's goals and proposals my chosen field is going to be facing some serious troubles, and that directly impacts my plans for the future.

You call it a melodramatic gripe, I call it an legitimate cause for concern.

That sucks for you. I don't think it's melodramatic. I don't know about all of Obama's plans, but if you are not going to be able to apply your education to a job now, it really does suck for you, and I can see why you would be upset. I hope you end up working something out which will be semi-okay.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Obama doesn't want NASA to go away...I thought he just wanted to focus more on Earth bound problems...since we have the most astounding ability to **** up our planet. Why is that bad to focus more on taking care of Earth and fixing what we've done to it? Make no mistake, I am a space geek and I would love nothing more than to explore as much as we can but that's not a priority right now.

silvermoon383

My fears come from the fact that NASA was the leader and the example. It was NASA that landed humans on another world, it was NASA that led the exploration of space after the Race was over, and it's been NASA that's been showing others how it's done. With the newly slashed budget they'll soon get very little will be able to get done. With any luck (and help from the other nations on the project), ISS should still be finished mostly on schedule, but the Constellation program is sure to be slowed (again), and a number of probes will get canceled.

So you're right Nessa, more of the burden will fall on other nation's shoulders, but they're still in catch-up mode, doing what they can to repeat what NASA has done since the 60s. That's not what I want to work on. I hate the been there/done that system that's being implemented.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for multinational cooperation in space, heck, that level of cooperation is one of the primary goals of the space program. However, NASA will not be able to help the other nations like they used to be able to do, and many of the other nations won't be able to pick up the slack that NASA's new budget will produce (and any attempt to will be hotly debated. Remember the thread about India's lunar probe?)

And yes, I am aware of the new private space companies (Virgin Galactic for one), but they're in no position to get very far anytime soon, and I hope people can see how I can fear what would happen if it was corporations that make the first landings on other worlds.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Considering that we are going to be relying on the Russians for our manned orbital lift capacity for at least 5 years, regardless of who won last night, and that China is aiming at sending a Chinese astronaut(s) to the moon, there will probably be no lack of opportunity. It just won't be with NASA. Personally, I hope that as soon as we get some stuff here on the ground fixed, we can once again devote some of our budget to catching back up in space again.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

My fears come from the fact that NASA was the leader and the example. It was NASA that landed humans on another world, it was NASA that led the exploration of space after the Race was over, and it's been NASA that's been showing others how it's done. With the newly slashed budget they'll soon get very little will be able to get done. With any luck (and help from the other nations on the project), ISS should still be finished mostly on schedule, but the Constellation program is sure to be slowed (again), and a number of probes will get canceled.

NASA's the EXAMPLE!? Gimme a break. At least as far as the space and shuttle program are concerned, they've shown a great deal more ineptitude and bureaucratic inertia than anything else. Every disaster that has befallen the shuttle program was entirely preventable, and make no mistake, if there were ever a manned Mars mission, those astronauts would be as good as dead. May as well just shoot a few astronauts and save the country a lot of time and trouble.

And yes, I am aware of the new private space companies (Virgin Galactic for one), but they're in no position to get very far anytime soon, and I hope people can see how I can fear what would happen if it was corporations that make the first landings on other worlds.

Au contraire. Virgin Galactic is extremely close to moon missions now that they've perfected their orbital flights (none of which have had any safety issues). They're pretty far from Mars or whatever, but then, NASA's no closer than Virgin in that regard. I say let the corporations use their money to go to other planets while our governments get down to the real business of taking care of citizens.

I empathize with your worry about the lack of opportunity to use your degree and to pursue your interests. I can only suggest that you knock on Virgin's (or the other companies pursing this) door. You may be pleasantly excited to find out what sorts of research, experimentation, and projects they have to work on.

silvermoon383

Um....how is Virgin Galactic close to Luna if they haven't even finished testing the prototype for SpaceShipTwo? (Which isn't even their first orbital ship so they haven't even got near perfecting orbital flight.)

As for why I'm not keen on the idea of working for private companies: one word.

Profit.

I refuse to allow profit to be the goal of what is supposed to be the next step in human exploration. Our history shows what happens when profit is the goal, and the results aren't pretty. I seek to open the solar system to humanity for vastly different reasons, ones that benefit the entire planet without risk of someone lining their pockets from our efforts. And let me explain what I mean:

In space we learn how to live in close quarters and limited resources. This produces new methods of food production and storage, such as hydroponics and freeze-drying. New construction methods are devised, modified, and/or refined, such as modular designs. Space also teaches us how to adapt to entirely new and different environments, ones that are radically different than the ones we evolved in.

And these I believe are the most important reasons for space:

1. It promotes cooperation between people and cultures. Space is harsh and unforgiving. It doesn't care what language you speak, what color your skin is, or what organs you have. If you can't work together as a unified crew and something happens, everyone dies.

2. Space has been the subject of dreams for as long as we've been around as a species. Now we can reach out and touch those dreams, turning them into reality. Space is the ultimate in human achievement. Going to Luna has shown that we can do anything, and there is a lot more to do. Mars draws us like a lighthouse, and there is much more to explore and to experience.

Do I believe that we should take care of Earth and our fellow creatures? Of course I do. I admit, it's probably my fault that it looks like I want to put space ahead of everything, I tend to not be as clear as I want to be. Space is a way to help take care of ourselves. As I pointed out above, space gives tools that we can use, and it provides common goals that we can all work towards together. They are goals that I wish to help accomplish, but not in a way that allows a small group of people to leave a larger group in the dirt.

Last edited:

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I've been a strong supporter of President Obama (albeit not so much lately). I have to agree with you on this one, silvermoon. He is blind to the strategic importance of space exploration, thinking that it is largely a waste of money that could go to social programs. The problem is that other countries are rushing to fill the vacuum left by us, and the technology they develop (much of it taken from us) will help them improve their military capabilities as well as make advances in medicine, aerospace, and defense--all areas that we have dominated in the past.

So what? We can just buy their stuff with the money we borrow after they invent it, right? And why do we need to be the ones leading the way to humanity's future? Shouldn't that be left to China, India, Russia, the European Union, and Japan? We don't need all those high-salaried aerospace jobs anyway, do we? Sure, aerospace equipment is a major export now, but why is it important for us to always be exporting stuff?

Silvermoon, if you want a job in aerospace, you should consider emigrating. At least your health will be better taken care of as you get older.

Last edited:

Troublemane

All it means is that China's space program and India's and France's even will step up to the plate, and all the communication satellites and new science projects and stuff will go to them, and America will fall from number one in space. Loss of supreme world power is not far behind.

Thats all it means, no biggie. :D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Nasa was an important and leading part of space research, however not more so than Russia. Russia still is responsible for the majority of satellite and rocket launches today.
Any gaps will be quickly filled by China who has both the cash and the scientists.
Nasa will continue in the field, probably in competition the the European space agency.

On the world level I expect little change

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yeah, Russia's manned moon landing and their two robotic rovers on Mars were pretty impressive feats.

We had the ability to put a man on the moon in the 1970s. We could not do the same thing today without years of development. Much of the knowledge and technology that we used for that mission have largely been lost. All we have going for us now in manned space flight is the soon-to-be-shut-down space shuttle program. We are even talking about a shutdown of the International Space Station--or at least our part of it. Other countries are not as willing to walk away from the investment. We no longer train enough scientists and engineers to sustain projects of that sort. That's one of the reasons why the aerospace industry has lobbied so strongly to promote outsourcing and relax visa requirements. Our country has allowed its aerospace infrastructure to erode at the very time when other countries are investing heavily to surpass us.

Dunemeister

So long NASA, it's been nice knowing you. You've been a dear companion for all these years, giving us something to aspire to.

So long lunar missions. It was a dreamy romance in the past, and we so wanted to renew it...

So long Martian missions. We've had our eye on you for so long, but we'll have to keep our distance for a lot longer now.

Well...apparently I'll have a better math/science education thanks to our new president's proposed budget, but w/ NASA with a severely curtailed budget, what in the world will I, a major space geek whose only ambition is to work in space, apply my degree to?

It's about time.