• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
what you are doing is I think the best response. I'm sorry to hear of his trouble and decline, but I think you're doing the right thing by him...I'm sure that if he was really unhappy you'd see it...
Easily. In fact they have pictures of the residents by the doors of their rooms. I hate the picture that they took of my Dad because I can see that he was in pain when they took it.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No reason, I just thought you might have reason,, this is my favourite one of his on death 'no-one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away... The span of someone's life, they say, is only the core of their actual existence'

I just remembered it as the last message from the dolphins as they escaped from Earth's destruction - no other reason. The quote from Terry is so true, and so cruel that he died so young.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
seriously, though, I suffer from dementia--with no identifiable cause and therefore no certain prognosis...I simply am not capable of doing things or remembering things that I used to do with ease...even writing something as brief as this takes a substantial amount of effort...

I've a friend who has dementia brought on by a pair of strokes...he has been robbed of much...he describes it as being locked in a battle with a monster...a monster that keeps taking from him his knowledge and abilities...and all he can do is fight against it with whatever he has left, trying to learn and do things again that monster has taken from him...

Sorry to hear this, luck of the draw it seems. I looked after my mother for some years whilst she had dementia (probably Alzheimer's though not diagnosed), before she moved into several nursing homes during the last year or so and succumbed to it. I actually felt grief when I knew that much of her personality had gone, and I doubt I did the best I could for her while she was at home - being her sole carer apart from a few visits a week from the caring services. Not easy to know what eases the life for anyone who has this. Being surrounded by others in a similar state - as in a nursing home, and with low staff levels, is hardly helpful probably. Best wishes for the future.