• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So it's 2018 CE, and of all the ideas/beliefs humans have held- we're the remaining players...

Which religions/movements do you see lasting another 1000 years if humans do?

• Pagan movements

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Jainism

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Christianity

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Islam

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Baha'i Faith

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Zoroastrian

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Atheists/Agnostics

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

taykair

The names may change. So may some of the doctrines. But, as to number, there will always be presicely as many belief (or non-belief) systems as there are people. One will find, even among those who share the same "faith umbrella", slight differences. I will admit that, often, these differences don't amount to very much, but they are nevertheless enough to make each individual's religion unique.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Are you telling me that my opinion and view of things is wrong? Are you willing to go that far?
By all means you can tell me that bigoted Hindu's will not recognize the similarities in prophecy between the different religious traditions; yet an educated mind will say the opposite...

So by all means if you can qualify where the information is that contradicts this, I'm always willing to question any argument completely again.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
By all means you can tell me that bigoted Hindu's will not recognize the similarities in prophecy between the different religious traditions; yet an educated mind will say the opposite...

So by all means if you can qualify where the information is that contradicts this, I'm always willing to question any argument completely again.

You misunderstand. I was posting my personal observation. You can take it or you can leave it. I am not contradicting anything you said in your post in particular. I find there's a reason why Hindus don't see you as Hindu and that was my guess as to what it is.

Either they're all bigoted, or you're not really Hindu. Those are essentially the options here. I find the less convoluted option to be the more likely one. It might not turn out correct though.

I would not go with right or wrong, but possibly more clarification.

I don't think it would need clarification unless people were in the habit of putting more meaning into things than intended. Note: I start my statement with "I'm guessing."

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I was posting my personal observation. You can take it or you can leave it. I am not contradicting anything you said in your post in particular. I find there's a reason why Hindus don't see you as Hindu and that was my guess as to what it is.
Yeah i got that; yet after a long thread discussing with Hindu's decided that people follow religious tradition, and not the religious texts original intent...

So personally realized don't mind not being part of any religious group of hypocrites.

Plus understood how a Hindu will see my word usages, as not using their special words, that give them a sense of religious zeal; but everyone understanding the contexts is more important to me.

Thus I agree in your idea that some Hindu's will not see me as a Hindu.
Either they're all bigoted, or you're not really Hindu.
Not sure you comprehend that bigoted isn't an insult, it just means choosing to be uneducated in other religions.

Then since i've already proven I'm not a Hindu in a long thread, and plus didn't say 'all'; there are some people who will choose to ignore other religions with the exacts same specifications, due to religious bigotry, and no other logical reason.

Rational Agnostic

Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans

There are other new religious and thought movements that are minor, and it remains to be seen if they will survive or not.

Given the tendency of humans to wipe out or assimilate other ideologies- do you recognize how against the odds it actually is that your worldview has survived until today? There is something about the thought movements and religions mentioned that would seem to set them apart from others- whatever that might mean.

Do you realize that your ideology/worldview surviving into the future, in part depends on your zeal for it, and willingness to stand by it?

This is very interesting- is it not? What are the odds that a religion survives for even 2000 years? Much less millennia?

We could argue about the political factors that might have played in favor for these religions, but having looked at all of them- I must admit they all contain rather fascinating insights and interesting ideas for consideration. I don't think it is merely due to politics they have survived. They all seem rather concerned with the human condition and it's problems.

What do you say?

It's hard to say. I do think that humanity's first contact with intelligent extraterrestrials will largely reduce religious beliefs, but there's no telling when ( or if ) that event will occur.

InChrist

Free4ever
I didn't vote because I don't see any religion lasting another 1000 years. I think Jesus Christ will return to earth much sooner. The scriptures say He will rule and reign on the earth from Jerusalem for 1000 years, but I think it will look a lot different from what is known as the Christian religion today.

Given the tendency of humans to wipe out or assimilate other ideologies- do you recognize how against the odds it actually is that your worldview has survived until today? There is something about the thought movements and religions mentioned that would seem to set them apart from others- whatever that might mean.

Do you realize that your ideology/worldview surviving into the future, in part depends on your zeal for it, and willingness to stand by it?

This is very interesting- is it not? What are the odds that a religion survives for even 2000 years? Much less millennia?

The longer something has existed for, the higher the chance it will exist for a long time in the future. Mozart is more likely to be popular in 100 years than Justin Bieber, and Shakespeare than Dan Brown. This is called the Lindy effect.

This doesn't mean that long standing things must survive, just that they are more likely to.

Other than that, can't predict anything about 1000 years in the future.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I changed my vote to the likely conclusion that the Zorotastrianism religion may not be around in a thousand years

Yeah I didn't think so either. Sadly, I also had to vote that I don't think Jainism will be. I admire Jainism very much. It's never been large, but certainly it's dwindled.

Of all the Nastika schools (philosophical schools Hindus consider heterodox), only Buddhism has managed to become a major world player.

InChrist

Free4ever
I fear he'll appear to a vast wasteland because we've blown up the planet by then.
Not according to the scriptures in Matthew 24...

“If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.
“So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. Wherever there is a carcass, there the vultures will gather.

“Immediately after the distress of those days

“‘the sun will be darkened,
and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky,
and the heavenly bodies will be shaken."

“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans

There are other new religious and thought movements that are minor, and it remains to be seen if they will survive or not.

We could argue about the political factors that might have played in favor for these religions, but having looked at all of them- I must admit they all contain rather fascinating insights and interesting ideas for consideration. I don't think it is merely due to politics they have survived. They all seem rather concerned with the human condition and it's problems.

What do you say?
I voted Buddhism. But just the Buddha's teachings and wisdom, not the various rituals and gods later sects created. The eightfold path is plenty for people to achieve and "believe". Nirvana in the here and now is really enough for many of us. If people followed those principles, there might not be a need for man made religions. But there probably always will be anyway. Enlightenment without the fluff is just too straight forward for a lot of people. They enjoy the rituals and special gods.

Just this noble eightfold path: right view, right aspiration, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration. That is the ancient path, the ancient road, traveled by the Rightly Self-awakened Ones of former times. I followed that path. Following it, I came to direct knowledge of aging & death, direct knowledge of the origination of aging & death, direct knowledge of the cessation of aging & death, direct knowledge of the path leading to the cessation of aging & death. I followed that path. Following it, I came to direct knowledge of birth... becoming... clinging... craving... feeling... contact... the six sense media... name-&-form... consciousness, direct knowledge of the origination of consciousness, direct knowledge of the cessation of consciousness, direct knowledge of the path leading to the cessation of consciousness. I followed that path.

— The Buddha, Nagara Sutta,

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
You make it sound outside the realm of possibility that a Indian man raised in ancient Vedic polytheism would believe in and teach gods...

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You make it sound outside the realm of possibility that a Indian man raised in ancient Vedic polytheism would believe in and teach gods...
My apologies, I need to be more careful with my words. I should have said I think it is enough for some people like me to just follow the earthy teachings for this day and age in this particular country I live in.
Back in the day, I'm sure the teachings were tailored for the cultures in which they were taught. And still continue to be taught. When teaching anything, it is always helpful to take into account the beliefs, culture and current knowledge of the students one is reaching out to. Thanks for pointing it out.
If that message was for me I should add! I' still learning how to navigate this site

Kelly of the Phoenix

“Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
Yeah, but since we aren't allowed to say "here he is" ...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So if there was a Creation by a Creator God, the Rainbow Serpent is closer to the Creation than any other known supernatural being.
Why must we have a God? Hinduism in its 'advaita' form can very well do without Gods. :D
By all means you can tell me that bigoted Hindu's will not recognise the similarities in prophecy between the different religious traditions; ..
That is very uncharacteristic of you. Why should you say that the Hindus who do not believe in these spurious prophecies are begoted? Bhavishya Puran is a much interpolated book. It also mentions Mohammad, Queen Victoria and even Victoria Memorial building in Kolkata. 'Advaita' has no need for these prophecies (and you know it well).
.. there are some people who will choose to ignore other religions with the exacts same specifications, due to religious bigotry, ..
Yeah, I do not believe in bigotry, that is why I choose to ignore other religions. The specifications are not the same.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why must we hve a God? Hinduism in its 'advaita' form can very well do without Gods.
Why indeed? I was thinking in terms of Western Christianity, and forgetting to be inclusive.

Advaita Vedanta, as Wikipedia has just told me, says that the essential self is of a kind with the 'highest metaphysical reality'. I see some parallel there with an idea I had way back, that the only idea of the divine that made any sense was the idea that it exists within oneself and not at large; so I'm not wholly out of sympathy with your suggestion.