• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So it's 2018 CE, and of all the ideas/beliefs humans have held- we're the remaining players...

Which religions/movements do you see lasting another 1000 years if humans do?

• Pagan movements

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Jainism

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Christianity

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Islam

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Baha'i Faith

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Zoroastrian

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Atheists/Agnostics

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
They may retain the name and even feel lineage to their namesake but I doubt they will be fundamentally the same religion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The names of religions might stick around for a while. I'm sure if you were to compare modern-day religions with ancient religions, I suspect people will be shocked how much changes to where I'll be nothing or little like the original.

Dang it! :oops:

And here I was thinking I might be having an original thought for once.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I voted for those wo (according to what I know of them) possess the ability and will to change and adapt with our growing knowledge of reality.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans

There are other new religious and thought movements that are minor, and it remains to be seen if they will survive or not.

Given the tendency of humans to wipe out or assimilate other ideologies- do you recognize how against the odds it actually is that your worldview has survived until today? There is something about the thought movements and religions mentioned that would seem to set them apart from others- whatever that might mean.

Do you realize that your ideology/worldview surviving into the future, in part depends on your zeal for it, and willingness to stand by it?

This is very interesting- is it not? What are the odds that a religion survives for even 2000 years? Much less millennia?

We could argue about the political factors that might have played in favor for these religions, but having looked at all of them- I must admit they all contain rather fascinating insights and interesting ideas for consideration. I don't think it is merely due to politics they have survived. They all seem rather concerned with the human condition and it's problems.

What do you say?

Atheism and Agnosticism is not a religion...But here is a fun fact:

Islam, statistically will be the dominant religion in the future

The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050

I also think Muslims in the future will revert back to the age of Jahiliyyah

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
You didn't mention Jehovah Witness'. I don't think they'll ever go away.

Actually, JWH will have to change or diminish, like other fundamentalist churches that reject science. This is a dead end course.

Actually, the list is religions, and not one the divisions of the religion.

Last edited:

QuestioningMind

Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans

There are other new religious and thought movements that are minor, and it remains to be seen if they will survive or not.

Given the tendency of humans to wipe out or assimilate other ideologies- do you recognize how against the odds it actually is that your worldview has survived until today? There is something about the thought movements and religions mentioned that would seem to set them apart from others- whatever that might mean.

Do you realize that your ideology/worldview surviving into the future, in part depends on your zeal for it, and willingness to stand by it?

This is very interesting- is it not? What are the odds that a religion survives for even 2000 years? Much less millennia?

We could argue about the political factors that might have played in favor for these religions, but having looked at all of them- I must admit they all contain rather fascinating insights and interesting ideas for consideration. I don't think it is merely due to politics they have survived. They all seem rather concerned with the human condition and it's problems.

What do you say?

I fear that if we don't outgrow religion soon that the chances that humans will last another 1000 years is quite slim. Aside from the obvious issues of war and violence that comes when religious zealots clash, there's the increasing danger that comes with people deciding that their strong 'faith' is somehow superior to verifiable facts. This type of thinking quickly spreads beyond religion and you soon have people thinking that their strong feelings that climate change is a hoax is equivalent to actual verifiable data that indicates its actually happening. I hardly think it's mere coincidence that the United States is one of the most religious nations on Earth,a well as one of the only ones that refuses to accept climate change.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I changed my vote to the likely conclusion that the Zorotastrianism religion may not be around in a thousand years.

To add: Agnosticism and the indifference to religion will likely increase with time.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Voted Islam and Judaism due to entrenched government support, birth rates, exotic flare, leftist sheltering and a more effective prophesying methods (not all factors apply to Judaism). Other religions factor in such as the decline of Christianity in the West.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think technology has changed drastically the processes which start and modify religions. I think one of the next huge events in human history will be a debate about whether or not to suppress technology and take it from the populace. Knowledge may become once again something for the privileged classes. If that happens then yes I think we will revert to old cycles, and we will be in for a long dreadful slow backward future. Otherwise I think that we are in for a time of stasis with religions ceasing to change very much. I think the flow of data and communication will tend to act like a resin that will stop them changing and freeze them. They will stop adapting or adjusting.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not concerned about others, Hinduism will survive (with it Buddhism too, after all Buddha is the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu). I would also wish Jainism to survive, fraternal religion, and so also all the pagan religions.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans
As far as I can tell there have always been nonbelievers. So I feel free to hypothesize that they're part of human nature and will always be around.

But if endurance is the test there's only one winner.

The aborigines of Australia have the Rainbow Serpent as one of their chief supernatural beings. The Serpent, usually but not always a he, has various roles in various traditions within Australian aboriginality, including First Supernatural Being, Most Important Supernatural Being and Original Creator Being, as well as lesser roles.

There's evidence of observance of the Rainbow Serpent going back at least 6,000 years ago.

And the arrival of the ancestors of the present aboriginals in Australia, originally thought to have happened >25,000 years ago (Mungo Woman, 1969), was pushed back to c. 40,000 with Mungo Man (1974 to early this century), with some controversial arguments for much longer times.

So if there was a Creation by a Creator God, the Rainbow Serpent is closer to the Creation than any other known supernatural being.

And no other supernatural being that I'm aware of can be shown to have been in active cultural use for 6,000 years, in an unbroken line right through to 2018.

Or to offer speculation an additional 34,000 years to play with.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
What do you say?
The poll only deals with the human interpretation of events, and doesn't include what global prophecy has predicted.

The Holy Fire shall wash earth soon, and then only those who follow 0neness from among those religions, shall remain.

So currently each religion has aspects diametrically opposed, and parts that are going in the right direction...

Whilst only together, can they expect to be logically consistent by looking at all information.

The Fire will remove all iniquity, so we won't have these ideas that religion can be individualized, as there is only One reality, One CPU, and therefore One true understanding.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.
The Holy Fire shall wash earth soon, and then only those who follow 0neness from among those religions, shall remain.

I'm guessing it's you saying stuff like this that results in people telling you that you are not a Hindu, but a Christian.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I'm guessing it's you saying stuff like this that results in people telling you that you are not a Hindu, but a Christian.
Within Hindu texts there is a concept called Mahapralaya (dissolution or washing of reality with the Holy Fire, as everything goes back to being Brahman), and that Kalki comes on a white horse to fight, and remove by force the Adharmic behavior/religions before the coming of Satya Yuga (Age of Godliness)...

Literally just the same as we find in Revelation, and in the eschatology of Zoroastrianism, Taoism, Buddhism, American Indian, etc.

There is only One Religious understanding, and people who see it separately are not following the Oneness that is related in all of the texts.

Thus when the word Hindu means 'a large body of water'; the people who have religious traditions of sitting in puddles are just naive, when there is a whole ocean of information available.

In my opinion. :innocent: