• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So it's 2018 CE, and of all the ideas/beliefs humans have held- we're the remaining players...

Which religions/movements do you see lasting another 1000 years if humans do?

• Pagan movements

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Jainism

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Christianity

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Islam

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Baha'i Faith

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Zoroastrian

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Atheists/Agnostics

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Hinduism
Buddhism
Jainism
Zoroastrianism
Judaism
Christianity
Islam
Baha'i Faith
Agnostics
Atheists
Various Pagans

There are other new religious and thought movements that are minor, and it remains to be seen if they will survive or not.

Given the tendency of humans to wipe out or assimilate other ideologies- do you recognize how against the odds it actually is that your worldview has survived until today? There is something about the thought movements and religions mentioned that would seem to set them apart from others- whatever that might mean.

Do you realize that your ideology/worldview surviving into the future, in part depends on your zeal for it, and willingness to stand by it?

This is very interesting- is it not? What are the odds that a religion survives for even 2000 years? Much less millennia?

We could argue about the political factors that might have played in favor for these religions, but having looked at all of them- I must admit they all contain rather fascinating insights and interesting ideas for consideration. I don't think it is merely due to politics they have survived. They all seem rather concerned with the human condition and it's problems.

What do you say?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Perhaps all religions will conglomerate to consolidate. All roads lead to heaven being the theme.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Perhaps all religions will conglomerate to consolidate. All roads lead to heaven being the theme.

You can say the second without bringing about the first. One that holds the former in what you said doesn't take any religion seriously, or the claims it makes.

osgart

You can say the second without bringing about the first. One that holds the former in what you said doesn't take any religion seriously, or the claims it makes.

Well perhaps they will cherry pick the methods and practices, and meld those. Leaving the true substance of each religion watered down, and diluted.

Meanings and stories often change over time. And a new story is told to address the interests of the times. Omitting all the true messages of each, in favor of a new theme. If I'm not mistaken Ba' hai incorporates all religions into a new message.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The names of religions might stick around for a while. I'm sure if you were to compare modern-day religions with ancient religions, I suspect people will be shocked how much changes to where I'll be nothing or little like the original.

osgart

Certainly they do, via some very interesting, and not altogether historical means. Like trying to make ancient India out as monotheistic.
That's what irks me. None of these religions jive with each other.

I was raised in a Catholic turned Baptist household, and even those are counter to each other.

Now all they have to do is join with humanism, and we'll have a one world religion. More about practices and methodologies, than about strong convictions.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
None of these religions jive with each other.

Well I wouldn't say 'don't jive with each other' exactly. There are similarities, just not of a theological nature concerning divinity. Buddhism and Christianity share a lot of ideas about morality, as well as insights about human nature. Their universalism- that they extend their scope from ethnic groups to the human sphere, is another thing in common.

To the extent that I admire Christianity, it is due to noted similarities with Buddhism in certain areas.

osgart

Well I wouldn't say 'don't jive with each other' exactly. There are similarities, just not of a theological nature concerning divinity. Buddhism and Christianity share a lot of ideas about morality, as well as insights about human nature. Their universalism- that they extend their scope from ethnic groups to the human sphere, is another thing in common.

Well the main conviction of Christianity, is only Christians go to heaven. Hardly universal, except for the themes of compassion, love, mercy which it holds exclusive to believers.

If humans are going to grow, they have to move beyond condemnation as a theme against unbelievers.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Well the main conviction of Christianity, is only Christians go to heaven.

Not all of them, but I'll grant you- I'm not saying the two are identical. Just that there are some similarities. Buddhism also makes exclusive claims- Buddhists just don't like emphasizing them these days.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Actually, I myself would not want to see a single, "one size fits all" world religion. I'm afraid human religiosity is too diverse for that sort of thing to be equally valuable and meaningful to every one of us. Some of us would be left out. But what I would like to see is a world in which multiple expressions of human religiosity got along with each other, in which no one was persecuted or punished for their religiosity -- or lack of it -- provided, of course, their religiosity was not harmful to others.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That to me is the most likely alternative. Restrictive theologies will fade away and people will participate in whatever rituals make sense to them.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What do you say?

I learned long ago that I'm one of those people who always picks the wrong horse in a horse race. I think Zen Buddhism, other forms of Buddhism, Taoism, and Shinto in many ways make the most sense as ways for humans to express their religious impulses, followed closely by the more "liberal" forms of other religions. But given my appalling track record in predicting which things will be most popular, I'd say those religions must be doomed. :D

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
There are some things we just can't predict @Sunstone. I don't forsee the Baha'i religion ever becoming very large, but I had to vote for it, because other new religions have proved people wrong in the past.

Would anyone have wanted to bet money 2000 years ago on Christianity becoming the largest world religion?