• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I was chatting with my tomato plants and ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I just came across this intriguing article:

It concludes ...

"I think that it is definitely possible that signals can propagate through the root network and spread in the common ground or soil from a tomato plant to, let's say, an oak," Dr. Shtessel says. "The soil plays the role of a conductor."

Likewise, the nature of any messages being sent is unknown and the possibility of cognition was beyond the scope of the experiment. Dr. Shtessel calls those extremely interesting questions.

"No study of the cognitive processing of the electric signals passed and received by the plants was accomplished," he says. "Another issue is to study the plants' communications via electric waves through the air. This is a different story that has not been deeply studied yet."​

Life is interesting. :)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
in high school study hall I found and article about plants being sensitive to humans

three plants ....all the same
were wired to a machine to monitor their fluid flow and other measurable items

a volunteer walks in the room and with as much hatred as he can muster
chooses one of the three
and destroys it
as brutally as he can
and there is a spike in the readings from the other two plants

he leaves
the plants calm down

later the murderer returns
he does nothing
but the spike in the readings returns

the two survivors seem 'aware'

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So, if I yell "Grow dammit!" at my tomato plants they'll grow faster? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?:)

Yerda

Veteran Member
So, if I yell "Grow dammit!" at my tomato plants they'll grow faster? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?:)
Tell them they're a disappointment. Bringing shame upon their wild ancestors. I've heard they really respond to insults.

metis

Tell them they're a disappointment. Bringing shame upon their wild ancestors. I've heard they really respond to insults.
But maybe they'll shame me back!!! :eek:

Oh, I just can't take this drama any longer! :(

metis

The gentle approach might work better.
It worked to attract my wife as the nickname other kids gave her in her late elementary grades was "Tomatoes". I still call her that at times, but since she's 71, her tomatoes have drooped quite a bit. [Just our secret, OK? Shhhhhhhh!]

The Anointed

I had to reprehend one of my tomatoes for squashing his son who kept lagging behind, as he said to his squashed son; "Ketchup.'

Last edited: