• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So disappointed

neale68

This past weekend, I went to the consecration of my church. I have not been attending on a regular basis for about three years now. I am not being properly "fed" there. I have a long laundry list of issues, but I wanted to support the dedication and my former faith community.

The first thing that sticks out in my mind is the fact that local newspaper stated that everyone was welcome. During communion, I did go forward, but only to receive my blessing from the Bishop. When I went up, I expected to see a face full of reverence and grace. What I saw was a look of contempt...as if to say, how dare you come forward with your arms crossed. I don't know, it's probably just me, and my Catholic conscience getting to me. Anyway, I do know the rules, but I think they're stupid rules. If all are welcome, well then, all should be allowed to receive communion. Yes, I know, I need to go to another church. I'm not interested in church hopping. Anyway, I walked away (after almost 3 1/2 hours of ceremony) feeling ashamed. Not really at myself but at the Catholic church.

My girlfriend's daughter has asked me to be her sponsor, which I will do, but once this is over, I will not go back there. I have experienced the real living Word of God by volunteering at at local teen center. It is open to all middle school and high school students. There is music, games, food, etc. It's just a safe place for teens to hang. At around 9:45, we have worship, with quiet music, prayers, etc. Those children minister to each other in a way that I have never seen before. It was truly amazing. Yes, it gave me the warm fuzzies.

In short, the Catholic church doesn't give me the warm fuzzies any more. Not that it ever really did.

The final straw was the fact that I had to leave for an appointment, so at the end of Mass, before the procession out (probably not the correct term), was when I member of the women's club, who along with some other church members, was blocking the aisle, and when I attempted to go around her, she put her hands on me and pushed me back.

I don't know what answers I'm looking for. None really, just looking for a place to vent my frustration. I thought that the Church was moving in a new direction. It's not.

This past weekend, I went to the consecration of my church. I have not been attending on a regular basis for about three years now. I am not being properly "fed" there. I have a long laundry list of issues, but I wanted to support the dedication and my former faith community.

The first thing that sticks out in my mind is the fact that local newspaper stated that everyone was welcome. During communion, I did go forward, but only to receive my blessing from the Bishop. When I went up, I expected to see a face full of reverence and grace. What I saw was a look of contempt...as if to say, how dare you come forward with your arms crossed. I don't know, it's probably just me, and my Catholic conscience getting to me. Anyway, I do know the rules, but I think they're stupid rules. If all are welcome, well then, all should be allowed to receive communion. Yes, I know, I need to go to another church. I'm not interested in church hopping. Anyway, I walked away (after almost 3 1/2 hours of ceremony) feeling ashamed. Not really at myself but at the Catholic church.

My girlfriend's daughter has asked me to be her sponsor, which I will do, but once this is over, I will not go back there. I have experienced the real living Word of God by volunteering at at local teen center. It is open to all middle school and high school students. There is music, games, food, etc. It's just a safe place for teens to hang. At around 9:45, we have worship, with quiet music, prayers, etc. Those children minister to each other in a way that I have never seen before. It was truly amazing. Yes, it gave me the warm fuzzies.

In short, the Catholic church doesn't give me the warm fuzzies any more. Not that it ever really did.

The final straw was the fact that I had to leave for an appointment, so at the end of Mass, before the procession out (probably not the correct term), was when I member of the women's club, who along with some other church members, was blocking the aisle, and when I attempted to go around her, she put her hands on me and pushed me back.

I don't know what answers I'm looking for. None really, just looking for a place to vent my frustration. I thought that the Church was moving in a new direction. It's not.
Did they really put their hands on you and prevent you from leaving the church? Incredible!

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, yes, they did. I guess they didn't want me to leave before the Bishop. It was not my intention to be disrespectful, but, I left.
Hey ... they disrespected you with the misleading statement that "all were welcome." Why feel the least bit bad about them feeling "offended." The hierarchy of the Catholic Church will be a thing of the past in the near future ... or at least I hope it will. Tradition has no inherent value, but it certainly has the power to corrupt.

Find a more welcoming Church. The Quakers are awesome, and so are the Unitarians.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe that you don't ''need'' a church or denomination in order to adhere to your faith, even flourish in it. Would it be ''nice''? Probably, but this is also an indication that you were taking the proceedings seriously, as opposed to just going for a quick ''redemption'' or something. may not help, but I wouldn't sweat this episode too much.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How did this get in One-on-One Debates?

But anyway, I think your expectations were probably too high for a large group of regular humans. In their Church, you have to go with the flow and learn to understand what to expect; it's pretty structured.