• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Muslim-related troubles caused mainly by a lack of education?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
"The inverse relationship of literacy/knowledge accumulation to superstitious
belief is clear. According to the United Nations’ Arab Human Development
Reports, less than 2% of Arabs have access to the Internet. Arabs represent
5% of the world’s population and yet produce only 1% of the world’s books,
most of them religious. According to researcher Sam Harris: “Spain
translates more books into Spanish each year than the entire Arab world
has translated into Arabic since the ninth century.” It is axiomatic to assume
that the growth of the Islamic Religion in Arab Nations is secured by a
relative lack of outside information in those societies.", The Zeitgeist Movement Defined

Truth, I don't know... Thoughts? :)

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
lack of Education, the lack of stability, constant foreign intervention these are all problems causing the violence we see in the middle east.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
lack of Education, the lack of stability, constant foreign intervention these are all problems causing the violence we see in the middle east.

My experience confirms the notion, but I may just be looking for more ammo to use... Thus, I posed the question :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What makes all problems is some group supposing that things ought to be something other than what they are. Devoid of human judgment, the world simply does a lot of is-ing; it simply is. What some group of humans labels as "the problem" says far more about the group of humans doing the judging than it does anything else in this realm.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
What makes all problems is some group supposing that things ought to be something other than what they are. Devoid of human judgment, the world simply does a lot of is-ing; it simply is. What some group of humans labels as "the problem" says far more about the group of humans doing the judging than it does anything else in this realm.
that seems rather callous way to look at it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Truth, I don't know... Thoughts?
I couldn't help but notice a shift in the OP.
The title referred to Muslims and the post to Arabs. The difference is very important.
For one thing, the most educated culturally Muslim country is Iran. Iran is not Arabic. For another, if you define Arab as Arabic people living in Arabic countries you will be missing millions of people who have emigrated to more advanced places. Arabic countries tend to be third world places, so educated people tend to leave.
The title itself is nothing more than bigoted nonsense to me.
Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
that seems rather callous way to look at it.

The typical, judgmental human would indeed regard impartial objectivity as "callous."
Humans are pretty terrible at looking at things for what they are without inserting their egos and value judgements into everything. Whoever gave our species its specific epithet was clearly not assigning it based on how our species actually behaves. We're hardly 'sapiens' (rational) compared to being 'effectus' (emotional).

I wouldn't have it any other way, though. Humans and their constant whining that the world ought to be something other than what it is? That's the stuff of drama!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Considering Muslims have made some monumental contributions to science, health, and math, personally I would hesitate to say it's a problem with Islam. And there are many Muslims from Middle East studying and teaching in Universities throughout the West. And, of course, Arabs do not constitute the entirety of the Muslim population.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are many more Muslims living outside of Arabia then within it. For example, there are something like 5-12 million Muslims in the US. A billion or so Muslims live in Asia including a very large Muslim population in India. And the number of Muslims is growing rapidly in India which is projected to have more Muslims than any other country in a few decades.

The middle-east is an utter mess but it's vitally important to differentiate between the mess in that region and the more than a billion Muslims who live elsewhere.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't the Qu'aran preach to it's adherents to use their brain to the best of their ability, though?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The middle-east is an utter mess but it's vitally important to differentiate between the mess in that region and the more than a billion Muslims who live elsewhere.
It's also important to differentiate between those in the Middle East who are deranged and violent, and those in the Middle East who are peaceful and do not have ridiculous requirements such as having their women be completely covered from head to toe.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
"The inverse relationship of literacy/knowledge accumulation to superstitious
belief is clear.
Peace be on you.
True, but not clear to all, even in advanced places:
Thirteenth floor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
images

images

Students and Superstitions | Information about Superstitions | Effects of superstition on student Life

According to researcher Sam Harris: “Spain
translates more books into Spanish each year than the entire Arab world
has translated into Arabic since the ninth century.”
It is matter of times. Once students from west would come to spain for learning.
"Many of the traits on which modern Europe prides itself came to it from Muslim Spain..."
The Wisdom Fund - Islam's Contribution To Europe's Renaissance

February 2015 eGazette – Muslim Heritage | Islam Ahmadiyya

It is axiomatic to assume
that the growth of the Islamic Religion in Arab Nations is secured by a
relative lack of outside information in those societies.", The Zeitgeist Movement Defined

Truth, I don't know... Thoughts? :)
The region was blessed with all major revealed religions. It is the revelation from God, the refraction of which creates temporal knowledge.

Holy Quran keeps stress to acquire knowledge and pondering at natural phenomenon. One attribute of Allah is Al-Aleem (All Knowing).

Holy Quran @ alislam.org/quran
[20:99] Your God is only Allah, beside Whom there is no God. He embraces all things in his knowledge.

Quran teaches a prayer for increase in knowledge:
[20:115] Exalted then is Allah, the True King! And be not impatient for the Qur’an ere its revelation is completed unto thee, but only say, ‘O my Lord, increase me in knowledge.’

Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) said: Knowledge are two; knowledge of (physical) bodies and knowledge of Ways (religions).
He (pbuh) also said: Seek knowledge from cradle to grave.
and many other of his sayings asked followers to seek knowledge.

Islam brought light to Arab region and for all world [exclusive scriptural claim]. It raised them from very low states to celestial heights of morality and spirituality through knowledge of all types.

Latter they lost the and weakened.

According to Ahmadiyya Muslims, promised-in-Islam peaceful revival movement has been started in all areas [alislam.org] through Promised Messiah Mahdi and his Khilafat, Fifth Khalifa is leading now by the grace of Allah.

Arabs are reached too. They need to come out of a fall which has taken them back to tribal-age conflicts. [mta.tv alarabiyya]

This is the one-and-only-one-promised-in built solution.

Last edited: