• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Snake 'befriends' snack hamster

Bishka

Veteran Member

_41233234_hamstersnake_ap203b.jpg
Aochan, the snake 'seems to enjoy' being with Gohan, the hamster

A rodent-eating snake and a hamster have developed an unusual bond at a zoo in the Japanese capital, Tokyo, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Their relationship began in October last year, when zookeepers presented the hamster to the snake as a meal.

The rat snake, however, refused to eat the rodent. The two now share a cage.

"I have never seen anything like it," a zookeeper at the Mutsugoro Okoku zoo said, adding that the hamster was known to fall asleep sitting atop the snake.

The hamster was initially offered to Aochan, the two-year-old rat snake, because it was refusing to eat frozen mice, the Associated Press reports.

As a joke, the zookeeper said they named the hamster Gohan - the Japanese word for meal. "I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much," zookeeper Kazuya Yamamoto told the Associated Press news agency. The apparent friendship between the snake and hamster is one of many reported bonds spanning the divide between predator and prey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4627950.stm

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
beckysoup61 said:

_41233234_hamstersnake_ap203b.jpg
Aochan, the snake 'seems to enjoy' being with Gohan, the hamster

A rodent-eating snake and a hamster have developed an unusual bond at a zoo in the Japanese capital, Tokyo, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Their relationship began in October last year, when zookeepers presented the hamster to the snake as a meal.

The rat snake, however, refused to eat the rodent. The two now share a cage.

"I have never seen anything like it," a zookeeper at the Mutsugoro Okoku zoo said, adding that the hamster was known to fall asleep sitting atop the snake.

The hamster was initially offered to Aochan, the two-year-old rat snake, because it was refusing to eat frozen mice, the Associated Press reports.

As a joke, the zookeeper said they named the hamster Gohan - the Japanese word for meal. "I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much," zookeeper Kazuya Yamamoto told the Associated Press news agency. The apparent friendship between the snake and hamster is one of many reported bonds spanning the divide between predator and prey.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4627950.stm
Incredibly wonderful to see; thank you for that!
On a side note...........

While my family was in Africa, my Mother told me, I had a friend (one of the few other white boys), whose mother had been similarly surprized.

The little lad was given a glass of milk at tea time every afternoon by his Mum. After a while, he took to taking the milk outside, in the Garden.

Shortly after, he asked his Mum if he could have a saucer with his glass of milk. His mother agreed, and each afternoon, the little guy took his glass of milk, on a saucer, into the garden to drink.

His Mum was, by now, fascinated to know where he was going, so, one afternoon, she followed him.

He went and sat in the Garden, under a tree, put his saucer down, poured some milk in it, and started drinking from his glass. The Mother then saw a snake (and I couldn't tell you what sort) slowly come down the tree, settle down next to the lad, and drink the milk from the saucer. When he finished, he just went back up the tree.

That is nature at it's best, innocent, uncorrupt, just as is that wonderful picture in the article you provided. Now that is one of the reasons I believe in God........;)

Bishka

Veteran Member
michel said:

While my family was in Africa, my Mother told me, I had a friend (one of the few other white boys), whose mother had been similarly surprized.

The little lad was given a glass of milk at tea time every afternoon by his Mum. After a while, he took to taking the milk outside, in the Garden.

Shortly after, he asked his Mum if he could have a saucer with his glass of milk. His mother agreed, and each afternoon, the little guy took his glass of milk, on a saucer, into the garden to drink.

His Mum was, by now, fascinated to know where he was going, so, one afternoon, she followed him.

He went and sat in the Garden, under a tree, put his saucer down, poured some milk in it, and started drinking from his glass. The Mother then saw a snake (and I couldn't tell you what sort) slowly come down the tree, settle down next to the lad, and drink the milk from the saucer. When he finished, he just went back up the tree.

That is nature at it's best, innocent, uncorrupt, just as is that wonderful picture in the article you provided. Now that is one of the reasons I believe in God........;)
That's pretty cool.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
fromthe heart said:
perhaps the snake was just lonely or has a more refined palett:D
Or just fattening him up for a 'special occasion' :D Michel, Becky, both heart warning stories. :jam:

Bishka

Veteran Member
Terrywoodenpic said:
Perhaps it's a religious thing and he can't eat ham in any form.

Terry________________________

Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.
Hehe.:bounce

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Terrywoodenpic said:
Perhaps it's a religious thing and he can't eat ham in any form.

Terry________________________

Blessed are the merciful, mercy shall be shown unto them.

:) I was thinking that perhaps the hamster had a smell or something . ;) Nature is quite amazing .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Yay! I needed a 'warm and cuddly' story! (Just please, if the snake decides to eat the hamster, or vice versa, please, please don't post it!)

Bishka

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Yay! I needed a 'warm and cuddly' story! (Just please, if the snake decides to eat the hamster, or vice versa, please, please don't post it!)
Just for you, I won't post it.:)

Ulver

michel said:

Animals cannot be corrupt, at least if you believe christianity or what not. Anyway, it's not too impossible as to what happend. When an animal finds a human to not be a threat, nor a snack, and said human provides for the animal in some way then usually that animal will get perfectly along with the human.

linwood

I doubt the follow-up to this story will be as warm and fuzzy.

One will eventually attack the other, although 3 months IS a long time for mutual toleration.

It`s unwise of the zookeepers to keep the hampster in that cage especially unsupervised for any amount of time.
If the rat snake has decided hampster isn`t his prefered food he won`t eat it but the hampster may very well attack the snake in fear one day.