• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smorgasboard Religionist

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
I used to be one.
Today I'll have Christian Lamb with a touch of Rumi Salad on the side. For dessert, I'll have Reincarnation Pudding in Buddhist sauce.
Time to be monogamous. Choose one and show your loyalty and commitment. Don't sleep around. Don't be promiscuous. Be faithful to one. Dalai Lama said as much.

PureX

Veteran Member
I used to be one.
Today I'll have Christian Lamb with a touch of Rumi Salad on the side. For dessert, I'll have Reincarnation Pudding in Buddhist sauce.
Time to be monogamous. Choose one and show your loyalty and commitment. Don't sleep around. Don't be promiscuous. Be faithful to one. Dalai Lama said as much.
What does loyalty and commitment have to do with God? Why would God need or want our loyalty and commitment? Why wouldn't God want us to develop whatever idea of God works best for us? And whatever idea of God helps us to negotiate the confusion and difficulties of life most effectively? After all, it's not like God is showing the least bit of concern for what we know of God's nature or existence beyond what we choose to imagine and surmise from existence, itself.

I just don't see our loyalty and commitment as being of the least bit of interest to God. On the other hand, I see it being of great interest and importance to organized religion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Tolkien from LoTR:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

Deidre

Why cling to one faith, if you find value in a number of faiths? Why must we be a ''follower'' of any one faith?

Deidre

You'll get depth by pursuing one more fully. Otherwise it all stays very shallow-rooted and superficial.

I don't know. It seems like many faiths borrow similar ideas from others. Christianity is the only faith however, where a sacrifice of a human was made for all of mankind.

I'm a former Christian, what drives you to Christianity? Have you always been a Christian?

Jedster

What does loyalty and commitment have to do with God? Why would God need or want our loyalty and commitment? Why wouldn't God want us to develop whatever idea of God works best for us? And whatever idea of God helps us to negotiate the confusion and difficulties of life most effectively? After all, it's not like God is showing the least bit of concern for what we know of God's nature or existence beyond what we choose to imagine and surmise from existence, itself.

I just don't see our loyalty and commitment as being of the least bit of interest to God. On the other hand, I see it being of great interest and importance to organized religion.

I think Albert Einstein would agree with you. This is a letter sent by him to his daughter.
…”When I proposed the theory of relativity, very few understood me, and what I will reveal now to transmit to mankind will also collide with the misunderstanding and prejudice in the world.
I ask you to guard the letters as long as necessary, years, decades, until society is advanced enough to accept what I will explain below.
There is an extremely powerful force that, so far, science has not found a formal explanation to. It is a force that includes and governs all others, and is even behind any phenomenon operating in the universe and has not yet been identified by us.

This universal force is LOVE.

Remainder of letter is here A letter from Albert Einstein to his daughter: about The Universal Force which is LOVE

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Love the Einstein quote!

Here's one I also have a certain fondness for -

"Like the bee gathering honey from the different flowers, the wise person accepts the essence of the different scriptures and sees only the good in all religions."

~ Gandhi

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You'll get depth by pursuing one more fully. Otherwise it all stays very shallow-rooted and superficial.
Hominem unius libri timeo. In the modern, Everett sense, I fear the man of one book. He is 'not only to the man of one book, but also to the man of one idea, in whom the sense of proportion is lacking, and who sees only that for which he looks.'

gottalovemoses

Im mad as Hell!
Hominem unius libri timeo. In the modern, Everett sense, I fear the man of one book. He is 'not only to the man of one book, but also to the man of one idea, in whom the sense of proportion is lacking, and who sees only that for which he looks.'
If you mean just reading the Bible I agree. I'm Catholic and we draw from more than one source but its all centred on Jesus Christ.