• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smoothies

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So im very thin. I weigh less then 100 pounds. I've lost some weight recently which isn't good I don't need to be losing weight. So I got a ton of protein nutritental shakes the kind they give to folk to make them gain weight yesterday to go with the meals that the group home supplies with the hopes I'd gain weight. Problem is it's expensive. I paid close to 40 bucks for 24 shakes at walmart. I only get 50 bucks a month and the only reason I was able to afford said shakes was cuz I had some money left over from a college grant so the college gave me a check that was over 200 dollars and my mom also decided to randomly give me like 50 bucks as well for some unknown reason(like I said it was random and unexpected). It's not economically sound for me to get more shakes each month tho cuz as I said I only get 50 bucks a month after the group home is done with my SSI. While I don't have to buy but one meal a week nor do i have to buy gas (group home pays for 3 meals a day typically and all that with my SSI) and the only other mandatory expense I have is tolietries and 2 bucks for my meds so I tend to have some money left over I just don't usually have the money to spare to buy shakes every month. Not usually. One staff and I talked about it and she thinks me buying a blender and then making smoothies is more sound economically. It'd be much cheaper in the long run she says. Im not worried about not being able to afford a blender as I recently sold back a college text book to a college and they'll be paying me in a week or 2 around 102 dollars for it. She said she'll buy me protein powder with her own money so I could make them. She's worried about my weight pointing out I recently lost some and can't afford to lose any more and if i were to get sick I'd be in trouble...Does anyone here know any good smoothie recipes? And any good blender brands to make them? Or any other advice on how to gain weight?

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So im very thin. I weigh less then 100 pounds. I've lost some weight recently which isn't good I don't need to be losing weight. So I got a ton of protein nutritental shakes the kind they give to folk to make them gain weight yesterday to go with the meals that the group home supplies with the hopes I'd gain weight. Problem is it's expensive. I paid close to 40 bucks for 24 shakes at walmart. I only get 50 bucks a month and the only reason I was able to afford said shakes was cuz I had some money left over from a college grant so the college gave me a check that was over 200 dollars and my mom also decided to randomly give me like 50 bucks as well for some unknown reason(like I said it was random and unexpected). It's not economically sound for me to get more shakes each month tho cuz as I said I only get 50 bucks a month. While I don't have to buy but one meal a week nor do i have to buy gas(group home pays for both) and the only other mandatory expense I have is tolietries and 2 bucks for my meds so I tend to have some money left over I just don't usually have the money to spare to buy shakes every month. Not usually. One staff and I about it and she thinks me buying a blender and then making smoothies is more sound economically. It'd be much cheaper in the long run she says. Im not worried about not being able to afford a blender as I recently sold back a college text book to a college and they'll be paying me in a week or 2 around 102 dollars for it. She said she'll buy me protein powder with her own money so I could make them. She's worried about my weight pointing out I recently lost some and can't afford to lose any more nd if i were to get sick I'd be in trouble...Does anyone here know any good smoothie recipes? And any good blender brands to make them? Or any other advice on how to gain weight?
The human body doesn't need a great deal of protein on a daily basis*. It certainly isn't the quickest route to weight gain. That would be through fat (and sugar) since it is highly calorific. A high fat diet isn't healthy as a longterm proposition but in the shortterm I would think it a good bet for weight gain (aside from any other factors).

* RDA is 0.8 gram per kilogram of bodyweight per day.

VoidCat

The human body doesn't need a great deal of protein on a daily basis. It certainly isn't the quickest route to weight gain. That would be through fat (and sugar) since it is highly calorific. A high fat diet isn't healthy as a longterm proposition but in the shortterm I would think it a good bet for weight gain (aside from any other factors).
A nutritionist suggested the shakes and that protein might be helpful for me.

I'm really just trying to add something to my diet that adds a lot of calories to eat in addition to the 3 meals I get each day since I can't change the meals the group home gives me unfortunately.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So im very thin. I weigh less then 100 pounds. I've lost some weight recently which isn't good I don't need to be losing weight. So I got a ton of protein nutritental shakes the kind they give to folk to make them gain weight yesterday to go with the meals that the group home supplies with the hopes I'd gain weight. Problem is it's expensive. I paid close to 40 bucks for 24 shakes at walmart. I only get 50 bucks a month and the only reason I was able to afford said shakes was cuz I had some money left over from a college grant so the college gave me a check that was over 200 dollars and my mom also decided to randomly give me like 50 bucks as well for some unknown reason(like I said it was random and unexpected). It's not economically sound for me to get more shakes each month tho cuz as I said I only get 50 bucks a month after the group home is done with my SSI. While I don't have to buy but one meal a week nor do i have to buy gas (group home pays for 3 meals a day typically and all that with my SSI) and the only other mandatory expense I have is tolietries and 2 bucks for my meds so I tend to have some money left over I just don't usually have the money to spare to buy shakes every month. Not usually. One staff and I talked about it and she thinks me buying a blender and then making smoothies is more sound economically. It'd be much cheaper in the long run she says. Im not worried about not being able to afford a blender as I recently sold back a college text book to a college and they'll be paying me in a week or 2 around 102 dollars for it. She said she'll buy me protein powder with her own money so I could make them. She's worried about my weight pointing out I recently lost some and can't afford to lose any more and if i were to get sick I'd be in trouble...Does anyone here know any good smoothie recipes? And any good blender brands to make them? Or any other advice on how to gain weight?
Protein requirement:

RDA is 0.8 gram per kilogram of bodyweight per day.

(US Dept of Agriculture)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I'm really just trying to add something to my diet that adds a lot of calories to eat in addition to the 3 meals I get each day since I can't change the meals the group home gives me unfortunately.
Sure, follow what the nutritionist says. Just saying gram for gram fat is the most calorific thing to ingest. It tends to get stored in the body longer term too (evolutionary for when the food is scarce - the body then breaks it down to utilise as an energy source).

VoidCat

Sure, follow what the nutritionist says. Just saying gram for gram fat is the most calorific thing to ingest. It tends to get stored in the body longer term too (evolutionary for when the food is scarce - the body then breaks it down to utilise as an energy source).
Then maybe I can add something to the smoothies that have fat in it. Any suggestions on what I could add?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Can anyone bring you in some decent bread? Good bread, from a proper baker*, is delicious and far better as a supplement than pseudo-medical powders. Lots of slow-burn calories. Put butter on it for fat. Toast it. Etc.

*needs to be properly proved, i.e. made traditionally, so that you don't get indigestion from gluten or something.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

"Here are some energy-dense foods that may help you gain weight:

• Nuts like almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, and peanuts
  • Dried fruit, including raisins, dates, prunes, and others
  • High fat dairy, such as whole milk, full-fat yogurt, cheese, and cream
  • Fats and oils like extra virgin olive oil and avocado oil
  • Grains, including whole grains like oats and brown rice
  • Meat, such as chicken, beef, pork, and lamb; you can also choose fattier cuts
  • Tubers, including potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams
  • Other energy-dense foods like dark chocolate, avocados, peanut butter, coconut milk, granola, and trail mix"

• - from the Healthline website.

VoidCat

Can anyone bring you in some decent bread? Good bread, from a proper baker*, is delicious and far better as a supplement than pseudo-medical powders. Lots of slow-burn calories. Put butter on it for fat. Toast it. Etc.

*needs to be properly proved, i.e. made traditionally, so that you don't get indigestion from gluten or something.
Maybe, I'll see...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Then maybe I can add something to the smoothies that have fat in it. Any suggestions on what I could add?
From that Healthline list I noticed coconut milk (not to be confused with coconut water). 93% of its calories comes from fat. Maybe use that in smoothies?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

My sister is very very heavy, and my oldest son has always been very thin. I remember when he was young(maybe 9ish), he ran up to her and yelled "I need advice on how to get fat!" Happily, she is used to his bluntness, and simply shrugged and told him "ramen and potato chips did it for me! You just gotta find your 'thing'".

It does seem, though, some people just don't hold weight, while others hold it no matter what.

One thing I do notice with people that tend to be naturally slim is that the aren't really 'programmed' to eat(they don't seem to get hungry often, and eating meals is something they can forget to do), and they move a lot, often without realizing they're moving, often by pacing or constant physical chores(like cleaning, repairing, yard work, etc).

Viker

Häxan
May I suggest Ramen noodles. They're mostly carbs, or fattening stuff. They're cheap and an easy way to pick your weight up. So convicts and college students (sometimes the same people in Kentucky) tell me. Never use the whole flavor pack per serving, about half, because of the high sodium content. You can add things like summer sausage or Spam as well, if you wish.

pearl

There are always the common nutritional drinks, ensure and the like, may tend to be expensive, and there is a Carnations Instant Breakfast, a powder to be mixed with milk. Add ice cream for a frappe instead of smoothie.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@RayofLight....
My advice (which is only for your consideration)
is to eat a good diet with enuf calories, & be
un-concerned with being under-weight. If you
have good nutrition, & plenty of energy to be
active, adding weight is unnecessary.

Again, this is just something to consider.
I don't know all the concerns you might have.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
This is the exact model of smoothie blender I have. When my bananas get a little too ripe, I just toss them whole into the freezer. When I want a smoothie, I pull a frozen banana out of the freezer, chunk it up (the chunks will peel away from the skin,) toss the chunks into the ninja, add other fruit if I have any around, (or a second frozen banana if I don't) add a little bit of vanilla coffee creamer, and hit the IQ blend button. It has been really nice during this heat wave.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/NINJA-N...-Single-Serve-Blender-BL480D-BL480D/301381398

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Does anyone here know any good smoothie recipes? And any good blender brands to make them? Or any other advice on how to gain weight?

You don't need protein power though you could add a couple of spoonfuls to a milk base if you feel the need.

Various fresh fruits, avocado and/or banana are cheap enough in season and peanut butter, everyone loves peanut butter. Add rolled oats to thicken it up. How about using full fat greek yogurt instead of milk?

We use a Kenwood blender, no special smoothie makers needed though they are cheep enough from amazon to throw away if you don't like it.