• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Smart Gun technology. I think its time it arrives in the US without restrictions to the 2nd amend

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...keeping firearms for "defensive" use: a way to protect your life that's so ****ty it's often more likely to kill you than save you.
That's commonly said.
But what's the argument & evidence?

Statistics are also a blunt instrument. While some
people are more in danger when possessing a gun,
Healthy trained people who store them securely
will benefit. The trick with risks is to manage them.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
By which they can figure out how to get their hands on an illegal firearm as well.
No law, no smart technology, no amount of security is going to prevent all gun violence, but it might stop some of it.

Well, you could build a police state, but that only means that the violence "moves" around.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
First some information...

Here’s What’s Up With "Smart Guns" — And Why You Can’t Buy One In The US

I think this could provide a fairly practical solution, not affect 2nd amendment rights, and wouldn't restrict legitimate buyers further than what we have now in terms of regulations to obtain a firearm legally.

I really like the idea that such firearms cannot be 'borrowed' by other people aside from its rightful owner. It includes law enforcement officers at well as in cases of disarming the weapon cannot be trained back on the officer by a criminal.

I think that alone will reduce the repeated tragedy of mass killings by firearms.

What do you think?

Its at best a fair compromise that I hope both Democrats and Republicans can agree on at the table. I'm sure the public would appreciate a type of safety without a loss of rights for an individual.

Let's make it happen!
Well it’s not without its hiccups, but it does seem to be a fairly good compromise.
I suspected that it would only be a matter of time before technology caught up with guns, so to speak.

Sooner or later guns will likely use facial recognition (or eye scans, maybe finger scans) as a sort of password in order to be used, similar to how phones use that now.
Honestly surprised that they don’t already.

If this tech does indeed reduce mass shootings in the US, I’ll certainly be glad

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well it’s not without its hiccups, but it does seem to be a fairly good compromise.
I suspected that it would only be a matter of time before technology caught up with guns, so to speak.

Sooner or later guns will likely use facial recognition (or eye scans, maybe finger scans) as a sort of password in order to be used, similar to how phones use that now.
Honestly surprised that they don’t already.

If this tech does indeed reduce mass shootings in the US, I’ll certainly be glad
If my Glock identified me as reliably as my iphone,
I wouldn't trust it in a high stress self defense situation.
Technology can certainly be useful for gun safety, but
I don't think we're at the point of universal adoption.
More important than new tech....
- Training
- Secure storage
- Comprehensive limiting of access so
that at risk people don't possess guns.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
If my Glock identified me as reliably as my iphone,
I wouldn't trust it in a high stress self defense situation.
Technology can certainly be useful for gun safety, but
I don't think we're at the point of universal adoption.
More important than new tech....
- Training
- Secure storage
- Comprehensive limiting access so that at risk
people don't possess guns.
Valid point. Maybe having a sort of “panic button” of sorts?

I agree with your measures. But I don’t know if both sides of your politics agrees. At least that’s the vibe I always get when it comes to gun safety measures in the US.
:shrug:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Valid point. Maybe having a sort of “panic button” of sorts?
Something that defeats the electronic security?
I agree with your measures. But I don’t know if both sides of your politics agrees. At least that’s the vibe I always get when it comes to gun safety measures in the US.
:shrug:
I don't expect much agreement.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Something that defeats the electronic security?
Ehh, maybe just temporarily? Like a 20 minute panic or something, I dunno
Then after all the danger, you have to go get it unlocked by some pro somewhere. Like you would if your bank card needed a reset or something.
I don't expect much agreement.
Unfortunately that indeed seems to be true.
Hopefully there can be some solution in the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ehh, maybe just temporarily? Like a 20 minute panic or something, I dunno
Then after all the danger, you have to go get it unlocked by some pro somewhere. Like you would if your bank card needed a reset or something.
I'm sensing problems without benefits.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Murderers aren't always either idiots or geniuses.
Someone with an average IQ, like most people, can pick up skills necessary to get around locks, pass keys, etc..
That's why hackers are likewise being used to improve security of the weapons. It was quite surprising that 15 dollars worth of magnets can override a smart gun.

Smart-gun makers want more people to try hacking high-tech guns

But then again, with that in mind , the technology can improve enough to a point that hacking becomes less viable with each improvement down the line.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Think through what you're saying.

Someone who goes for a cop's gun in the spur of the moment isn't going to be in a position to "hack, alter or bypass" a gun quick enough to kill the cop.

Okay. I'm not sure what this has to do with my point.

And smart guns don't need to completely eliminate criminal use of stolen guns to significantly reduce how often this happens.

Much of it is dependent upon how effective the technology is. My point included the key word "if," in case you didn't notice.

Remember that you're arguing for keeping firearms for "defensive" use: a way to protect your life that's so ****ty it's often more likely to kill you than save you.

Is that what I'm arguing for? Gee, I hadn't noticed.

When it comes to how effective something has to be before you'll consider it worthwhile, we know your standards aren't that high.

"We" know that my standards aren't that high about what? I get the feeling that you want to tell me something, but you're holding back.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Can't even trust the computer at dollar general to work and you want me to have a computerized gun? No thanks, I'll keep my revolver.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can't even trust the computer at dollar general to work and you want me to have a computerized gun? No thanks, I'll keep my revolver.
A revolver is an excellent weapon. I think it would be prudent to have this tech specifically on the weapons that are being used to enable mass casualty rates where things like semi automatics would be prone to smart technology and revolvers left alone, since its a chamber fed handgun with a limited capacity.