• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleep Paralysis, Lucid Dreaming & OBEs

astarath

You seem to be describing what some call visions. However, my personal definition of visions falls into four categories: visions (where I am usually not in my body--astral travel), sporadic visions (both waking and semi-conscious), intuitive sight (like psychic understanding) and mind-generated images.

[Concerning the mind-generated images: I have Asperger Syndrome; so I see/hear everything in images and audio. That is how I predominantly process all information.]

I believe if it is going to be in the divisions ot which you associate visions it would be close to astral travel however the key aspect to astral travel is the control of the path by my understanding. My scenes are constant and flowing like a dream however I can not control the placement in the imagery merely the people or things within it.

yuvgotmel

Ahh the eternal question...or misconception. Prayer for me is a discussion (two-ways). Asking God for something is only half the purpose of prayer, the least important of the two. The important part is staying focused on the purpose and open to the answer that God can provide through prayer. True prayer is a form of meditation if realised that it's purpose is a conversation rather than a wishlist. To have God just give you images or messages without asking which I believe is what you are refering to in the silencing of the mind through meditation I would more likely refer to as revelation as it is symbols, messages, sights that God is just giving to you for a purpose. You did not ask for them he just gave them to you. My lucid dream/ prayer is of the True Prayer type to which I refered. As when I ask a question or pray for a specific purpose if the focus is there I find God revealing dreamlike imagery to which I can control the objects and things within the imagery but not the imagery/scenery that the objects dwell.

It does not sound like you are describing an OBE (at least to me).

EET

astarath said: "Similarily to sleep essentially one's state of conciousness goes from alert to subconcious. I find when I focus or when I am in a state of prayer for extended periods ....."

In my opinion you have essentially entered into a state of superconsciousness just like we do in meditation. As you said: 'when I focus' ........... that is meditation.

In meditation you focus the mind on something. You are using your prayer as a matra and focusing your mind ... IMO.

astarath

out of body experience. got it. however these states I am in another place conciously and thus if my body is one place "state of prayer" and my mind is elsewhere doing something completely different is this not the definition of an OBE?

astarath

EET so when you have your experience though is your focus not on having that experience? This differs slightly where your focus is used as a control to seperate mind and body to your own endeavours on which you have focused. Whereas I am not focusing on the will to leave my body but rather I focus on God and because of that I am receiving similar visions. Does this make sense what I am trying to say?

EET

Astarath said: "To have God just give you images or messages without asking which I believe is what you are refering to in the silencing of the mind through meditation I would more likely refer to as revelation as it is symbols, messages, sights that God is just giving to you for a purpose. You did not ask for them he just gave them to you."

Yes in meditation I do experience revelations, although I would not use that term.

I never ask for any information or anything as IMO G-d knows better than me what I need and my wants are not important.

EET

Astarath said: "EET so when you have your experience though is your focus not on having that experience? This differs slightly where your focus is used as a control to seperate mind and body to your own endeavours on which you have focused. Whereas I am not focusing on the will to leave my body but rather I focus on God and because of that I am receiving similar visions. Does this make sense what I am trying to say?"

I think we are having a bit of difficulty in communicating because we have different models of the mind and what we are about.

In my moidel I have 3 states of consciousness 1) subconsciousness (dreams) lucid or other wise 2) consciousness 3) superconscious

In meditation my goal is to gather my consciousness from my body and focus it at the eye center. When that is accomplished I see light and can go upward and inward. First I enter the astral plane, then the mental plane. i have not gone further.

Yes i see what you are saying. I also am not focusing on leaving the body, it just happens when the concentration is complete. I too am focusing on G-d as that is what the Light is. He/Her is nothing but Light/Love.

Hope that is clear --have to go to bed now. Nice to chat with you.