• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleep Paralysis, Lucid Dreaming & OBEs

okay lets see When I was seven years old I had a dream of me at the age of 17 and I was with a girl I met her recently and she became my girlfriend.

allright I would have to say my most important vision would be when I lived in Texas. now this was not a dream. I was at the delerious concert in six flags and I got a strange feeling. I could not think about nothing else all of the sudden I could see a very dark sky and it was troubling but knowone else noticed I asked my dad about it he said he did not see anything. for the rest of the night a strong feeling was on my spirit all night. the next morning we went back, but not for long apparently seven tornados were heading our way. It was then I realized the night before I had had a vision of the devestation.

des

I have had lucid dreams but I have not considered these religious, except in the general sense that all experience has a sacred angle to it. I can see that controlling attention such as in the dream state might have implications as a Buddhist, but I'm not a Buddhist. But this not any more so. I don't think this is astral projection as I think it is expliciable whereas I don't think astral projection is. Out of body experiences is however you feel it, and if you feel out of body then I guess it is. Many seriously injured people have OBEs. For example, when I have a cold I frequently don't feel as in my body. Perhaps it is due to a little less oxygen than usual. But I feel it probably has some explanation. Sleep paralysis is well documented. It is actually caused by chemicalsl released during sleep so that most of us at least do not go about acting in this state. Wierd things happen to people in sleep walking states and I have heard of people making cat food sandwiches and so forth.

Lucid dreaming is an interesting state of becoming aware as you are dreaming. At that point, you might be able to control the dream. When I was younger, for some reason I had more of these than today. The other thing is that I got quite sick once with hepatitis and mono. I was in bed rest for over a month. I got quite tired of it, and did lots of lucid dreaming and also controlling my dreams. I did not have as easy a time of this when I wan't devoting so many hours to sleeping.

Another thing I used to experience that I miss is synethesia. This is where you hear a smell, see a sound, hear a color, etc. In my case, I saw jaggedy shapes for certain sounds. I had many similar sort of experiences. One thing was seeing things as if on tv. I can't recall what this is called.

I got put on medication for epilepsy where I lost the synethesia, I also lost sleep paralysis (which I don't miss)-- I mean recalled instances of it, and other things besides the seizures. Aside from the seizures they are aspects of experience I miss.

--des

EET

Since I meditate every day out of body experience is common. When I meditate I simply withdraw my consciouness to the eye center, this takes some time for me so I am not always successful at leaving my body. However, once in a while I start to fall asleep, but catch myself before my consciousness falls to the throat center, and I pull it back up. At that time I am fully concentrated, my body is dead as my consciousness leaves the body.

Sometimes I do hear a high frequency sound, perhaps 10 khz. But when I pop out of my body it stops abruptly. After that I see my body below and I can move about and have various experiences.

I think this is just a stage of spiritual development.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
EET said:
Since I meditate every day out of body experience is common. When I meditate I simply withdraw my consciouness to the eye center, this takes some time for me so I am not always successful at leaving my body. However, once in a while I start to fall asleep, but catch myself before my consciousness falls to the throat center, and I pull it back up. At that time I am fully concentrated, my body is dead as my consciousness leaves the body.

Sometimes I do hear a high frequency sound, perhaps 10 khz. But when I pop out of my body it stops abruptly. After that I see my body below and I can move about and have various experiences.

I think this is just a stage of spiritual development.

Show off. :p

I didn't have a bona-fide "astral" experience until the last six months, and I've been meditating every day (well, mostly) for the last 12 years! :cover: :eek:

The astral plane is extraordinary in how the shadows themselves seem illuminated and.........I don't know.........electrified? Pretty cool.

Peace,
Mystic

yuvgotmel

Right now (March 25, 2007 in the early a.m. hours on the US East Coast), Coast to Coast AM live has Dr. Stephen La Berge as a guest host to discuss Lucid Dreaming and Dream Yoga. If you aren't able to catch the show, you can visit the website here:

http://www.lucidity.com/

Here is the author's book too: Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

EET

Yes my frineds, I agree it does sound as though old ET is being egotistical. Sorry.

The problem with discussing spiritual or astral or out of the body experiences or what ever you wish to call it is language, no matter how we try to express ourselves, we are caught up in the structure of words. In reality there is nothing to be expressed except to free ourselves from the stranglehold of thought.

yuvgotmel

I used to hear a loud crash, like glass breaking, right when I would be about to fall asleep. I used to also see a bright flash of light. Often times, it would startle me back awake.

EET

yuvgotmel said: 'I used to hear a loud crash, like glass breaking, right when I would be about to fall asleep. I used to also see a bright flash of light."

I believe that the crash is just your mind, I often hear an alarm clock go off when I start to fall asleep when meditating, or a voice wil say "ET !" both of which will wake me back up and get me meditating again.

The flash of light is very good though. That is the third eye opening up. You are getting somewhere with that. That is the beginning of spiritual experience. At first you just see the flashes of light, or perhaps hear a bell sound, then little by little as you gain more concentration the light becomes more persistent or for some the sound is more persistent. In my case it is the light. Then If you just be with that light or sound, don't chase it, it will pull you like an escalator and then stuff happens.

yuvgotmel

The flash of light is very good though. That is the third eye opening up.

Here is a cut-and-pasted excerpt from an experience of the Third Eye-sight:
I decided to lie down on the couch in my office (spare bedroom of my house) and closed my eyes. Before long, I was looking around the room, specifically at an object that is familiar to me. It was of the incense burner that I wood burned and painted with an image of a Hawaiian beach scene. I saw it sitting on top of the short bookshelf in front of me, as I lay on the couch. However, the view was different that normal. I saw the view of looking through my eyes as if I was far back in my head. I saw darkness surrounding a single opening, which looked like two horizontal Mandorlas overlapping. I can only describe it as what it must look like as the perspective of how human sight operates when two eyes are open at the same time and focused on the same object.

At that time, I thought, something to the effect of, “This is odd, because all day I have had a hard time keeping my eyes open. And now I’m laying here looking around.”

Then after thinking that, I realized that I DID have my physical eyes shut. At that instance, I thought, “Wow, I’m looking through my third eye!”

I was a bit startled and immediately opened my physical eyes. That is when I got an even greater surprise. The object (the incense burner) that I had been looking at was not there. In fact, upon opening my physical eyes, I remembered that the incense burner is packed up in a box in my mother’s house waiting to be sold.

It should be recorded that the view (of my surroundings—the room) from the third eye chakra was ever bit as clear, in color and with the same depth perception as if it was the view from my physical eyes. There was nothing foggy about the image. There was nothing different than what is normally noticed through the physical eyes other than the perspective of what it must look like (to look out of two eyes at once) from the inside of the head.

EET

yuvgotmel said: "That is when I got an even greater surprise. The object (the incense burner) that I had been looking at was not there. In fact, upon opening my physical eyes, I remembered that the incense burner is packed up in a box in my mother’s house waiting to be sold."
[FONT=&quot]
That reminds me of one time when I left my body and went outside flying above my house. The house looked the same until I noticed that it had a cupuola on the roof, which my house did not have. Then I looked out front at the street and noticed that the street was not paved and there were no cars anywhere. The street was just a neat dirt road. Everything else looked the same, and like your experience, it was all cystal clear and in bright color too. [/FONT]

Ðanisty

All of these things are symptoms of narcolepsy. Of course they don't necessarily indicate narcolepsy but they are associated with it.

yuvgotmel

If you turn this image on its' side, it shows the view from the way I was looking around my room (in the episode mentioned above), which appeared like two Mandorlas horizontally overlapping. I saw the room perfectly through the single slit it made in that particular shape (as seen below in the middle of the circle).

mandorlapath.jpg

This (below) is a diagram that I made myself...

third_eye_diagram.jpg

EET

The mind is always closed in. So as long as the mind is there, it is preventing you from understanding but when the mind is not there then it crystal clear that there is nothing to understand.

astarath

now you guys are refering specifically to "dreaming" however I have experienced similar experiences through prayer. Sight like a dream that was real yet I could interact and control. What are your feelings about this?

yuvgotmel

now you guys are refering specifically to "dreaming" however I have experienced similar experiences through prayer. Sight like a dream that was real yet I could interact and control. What are your feelings about this?

Could you explain your experiences more?

astarath

Similarily to sleep essentially one's state of conciousness goes from alert to subconcious. I find when I focus or when I am in a state of prayer for extended periods I am still concious however I begin to "see" a world similar to the ones described in the lucid dreams. I do not specifically "control" which images/scenes appear to me however I can control the images that do appear

EET

In my case it was no dream. Dreaming is when you are in a subconscious state of mind, in my case I was super conscious.

You will have to explain what you mean by prayer.

Meditation is silencing the mind, or listening to G-d while, in my mind, prayer is talking to G-d. Usually when people to talk to G-d they are making requests. In my case I have no requests. Everything is fine. I am not running His/Her world.

yuvgotmel

Similarily to sleep essentially one's state of conciousness goes from alert to subconcious. I find when I focus or when I am in a state of prayer for extended periods I am still concious however I begin to "see" a world similar to the ones described in the lucid dreams. I do not specifically "control" which images/scenes appear to me however I can control the images that do appear

You seem to be describing what some call visions. However, my personal definition of visions falls into four categories: visions (where I am usually not in my body--astral travel), sporadic visions (both waking and semi-conscious), intuitive sight (like psychic understanding) and mind-generated images.

[Concerning the mind-generated images: I have Asperger Syndrome; so I see & hear everything in images and audio. That is how I predominantly process all information.]

astarath

Ahh the eternal question...or misconception. Prayer for me is a discussion (two-ways). Asking God for something is only half the purpose of prayer, the least important of the two. The important part is staying focused on the purpose and open to the answer that God can provide through prayer. True prayer is a form of meditation if realised that it's purpose is a conversation rather than a wishlist. To have God just give you images or messages without asking which I believe is what you are refering to in the silencing of the mind through meditation I would more likely refer to as revelation as it is symbols, messages, sights that God is just giving to you for a purpose. You did not ask for them he just gave them to you. My lucid dream/ prayer is of the True Prayer type to which I refered. As when I ask a question or pray for a specific purpose if the focus is there I find God revealing dreamlike imagery to which I can control the objects and things within the imagery but not the imagery/scenery that the objects dwell.