• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slavery is still legal in America. The quest to eliminate the 13th amendment slavery clause

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I will agree with you on this one. "Hard labor" should not be part of a sentence. Since we want to integrate prisoners back into society then the ability to work should be a reward. Not a punishment. Which means that if they work there needs to be a benefit to it for the prisoners.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Even states that pay prisoners grossly underpay them. I can see paying them less than minimum wage, but not a tenth of minimum wage.

Altfish

Veteran Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Also, apparently, from what I've heard - Mississippi still has debtor's prison of sorts, too.
I studied a bit about slavery as it relates with the creation of the thirteenth amendment , and noticed the open clause within that stated slavery is an exception involving prisoners. An obviously sizable workforce ripe for human exploitation.

It was due to my curiosity as to why the US is the most incarcerated nation in the world and continues to lead in that distinction.

I suspect legal slavery has gone well beyond making license plates, prison farms, and road cleanup via chain gangs.

I'll have to look further, but I wonder if forced prison labor is the new cotton fields by corporations that benefit alongside state forced labor other than the state itself.

While not in the US, IKEAs suppliers has apparently been involved taking advantage of prison labor.

Study: IKEA suppliers accused of using Belarusian prison labor

I'll have to see if US corporations are doing the same with US prisoners.

Twilight Hue

I studied a bit about slavery as it relates with the creation of the thirteenth amendment , and noticed the open clause within that stated slavery is an exception involving prisoners. An obviously sizable workforce ripe for human exploitation.

It was due to my curiosity as to why the US is the most incarcerated nation in the world and continues to lead in that distinction.

I suspect legal slavery has gone well beyond making license plates, prison farms, and road cleanup via chain gangs.

I'll have to look further, but I wonder if forced prison labor is the new cotton fields by corporations that benefit alongside state forced labor other than the state itself.

While not in the US, IKEAs suppliers has apparently been involved taking advantage of prison labor.

Study: IKEA suppliers accused of using Belarusian prison labor

I'll have to see if US corporations are doing the same with US prisoners.

Ah..

Private Companies Producing with US Prison Labor in 2020: Prison Labor in the US, Part II — Corporate Accountability Lab

Erebus

One quote in particular from that article stood out to me:

That has deeply worrying implications. There's a definite financial incentive to have harsher sentences for relatively minor crimes as that would help provide a steady supply of low risk prisoners. It also means that any attempts at rehabilitation wouldn't be profitable. You want people to reoffend.

I know he's probably a bit too much of a lefty for you but John Oliver did a video on this subject a while back if you're interested:

PureX

Veteran Member
The amazing thing about all this is that the American people still don't see themselves falling into a giant corporate controlled feudal state complete with a new intellectual "dark age" thanks to run away capitalism. We'll blame it on everyone but the actual perpetrators.

Twilight Hue

One quote in particular from that article stood out to me:

That has deeply worrying implications. There's a definite financial incentive to have harsher sentences for relatively minor crimes as that would help provide a steady supply of low risk prisoners. It also means that any attempts at rehabilitation wouldn't be profitable. You want people to reoffend.

I know he's probably a bit too much of a lefty for you but John Oliver did a video on this subject a while back if you're interested:

Well even as a righty, I do happen to have enough lefty in me to view it. *grin*

Seriously this should be serious enough to garner bipartisan support to eliminate the clause because if unchecked, it's only going to worsen I think.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Audie

Veteran Member
The amazing thing about all this is that the American people still don't see themselves falling into a giant corporate controlled feudal state complete with a new intellectual "dark age" thanks to run away capitalism. We'll blame it on everyone but the actual perpetrators.
That's your belief, and everyone is
stupid for not seeing it your way

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's your belief, and everyone is
stupid for not seeing it your way

Well, they are not stupid. They just cope differently to the point that not all of them, but some declare that they are in effect with objective reason, logic and evidence the universal ontological correct version of normal, right, good and all those words, which have no objective referents.
In general for that claim they do special pleading, greedy reductionism and the Nirvana fallacy, but that is not really stupid, because it works for them. I just do differently.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Are you going to stay on topic or waste people's time with your snarky nonsense?

Well, nonsense is funny. But other people's nonsense mean in effect that they are not even nothing, but cause that is an insult to nothing. And my answer is not nonsense, as I am the correct version of rights, freedom and everything else, because I am that special.

How many versions of funny do you get in this nonsense for all of us?