• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Slavery] Does the bible read like a news article?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was just thinking about how a poster claimed that the bible tolerates slavery and doesn't speak out against it, but then I read online how the bible isn't really telling us what to do, or how to think, but rather, describes events that have taken place as a sort of historical news article.

So how do we view the bible? Do we view it as something we are supposed to copy in our lives, or do we view it as information on things that have occured in the past for our knowledge..?

How do non-Christians think of the bible? Do they think we follow it as if taking stories from it and try applying it to our lives? I know I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooky

Veteran Member
I remember when I was a teenager, when life stressed me out, I would pull out a bible and just randomly open it, and hope to God that I would choose a page that would guide me in some way or another... But that was just my immaturity.

I now think that I have my own story, and my own set of choices, and that my own morality through a conscience of my own is sufficient in making choices.

HonestJoe

How do non-Christians think of the bible? Do they think we follow it as if taking stories from it and try applying it to our lives? I know I don't.
It seems to be a vast complex mixture of things and different Christians (and others) seem to read very different things in to those various parts, hence the vast range and diversity of biblicaly-influenced religious, faiths and beliefs.

There are clearly (nominally) historic stories, though they’re presumably included for some purpose and even if that is to just build a fuller understanding of the God and world, surely that in turn is so we can make better informed decisions, including moral decisions. There are also parables, which are literally stories (true or fictional) designed to impart specific moral ideas and principles. There are parts which purport to state rules from God (either directly or via prophets), such as the commandments, though there appear to be vast differences of opinions over to who, when and where these all actually apply.

The Bible is clearly not a simple set of rules but I think it is generally taken as what you describe – set of stories which you are meant to read the moral conclusions of and apply them to your lives. The different viewpoints are only (hah!) about what those conclusions are and how they actually apply to people today.

Of course, there is also the added complication that the Bible(s) we have today have been variously translated, interpreted and recompiled by various people over the years so it could be difficult to be sure that what you’re taking from a particular book as you read it in context today is actually anything like the meaning that was intended by whoever originally wrote it so many centuries ago.

joe1776

I now think that I have my own story, and my own set of choices, and that my own morality through a conscience of my own is sufficient in making choices.
The Bible offers moral guidance. Some of it conflicts with conscience (moral intuition). For example, there are more than one hundred quotes on slavery but none condemn the practice.

In 1866, at a time when legal slavery had been abolished in most of the world, the Catholic pope advised his faithful that he saw nothing in "divine law" opposed to the buying, selling or trading of slaves. According to his Bible he was right.

The abolition of slavery was a conscience-driven moral advance that all people of all cultures and religions accepted.

If I'm not mistaken, the Church now teaches that conscience is the ultimate moral authority. So, even the moral guidance of popes can be ignored when conscience leads in a different direction.

Last edited:

Nimos

To me, the Jewish bible is first of all a collection of stories with the intend of highlighting the importance of Israel, its people and their relationship to God. It is also a book that from an ancient person point of view, probably held some answers to some of lives difficult questions. Among the stories there is a mixture of moral driven stories, but also historical ones about the history of Israel.

When that is said, it is also an ancient book of laws of how the Israelites ought to behave and treat other people and each other. My initial thoughts, even though I haven't checked this, is that its fairly common at the time, that laws and religious views are combined into one and the same, and is used as a way to justify why people have to do certain things in certain ways, or why someone is allowed to do something rather than something else. If a person believe in an all mighty God, then who are they to question his authority? We find lots of examples of this between the stories.

In regards to whether I think people follow the stories? My answer would be no. The reason is obviously because they believe in Jesus as the Messiah, so a Christian is obviously one that believe in Christ. But if we look only at the bible and ignore all the interpretations that have sprung from it later on.

I think pretty much all Christians today would be executed due to blasphemy or for breaking the law. It seems that most Christians belief, rely on Pauls writings and one very dodgy verse in the gospel of John about the fulfillment of the law, which is used as an excuse for not having to follow it anymore. Which is not really fitting well into the stories of bible when one read it in context, I think.

In my opinion, John is probably the worse and least trustworthy of the four gospels. It is very obvious when reading it, that a lot of what is found in it, especially near the end, is simply made up as such information would be near impossible to obtain. For instance, John apparently knows what Jesus and Pontius Pilatus talked about while Jesus were imprisoned and only those two were present.

Also Jesus were a Jew and several places makes it clear that the law is to be followed. He even uses an example from the law, that if a child curses their parents, they are to be put to death as the law command. For some reason, Christians ignore this, as again Paul and that one verse in John seems more compelling than all the places where Jesus say that the law should be followed and not changed.

I was just thinking about how a poster claimed that the bible tolerates slavery and doesn't speak out against it, but then I read online how the bible isn't really telling us what to do, or how to think, but rather, describes events that have taken place as a sort of historical news article.
As mentioned the Jewish bible is a book of law, how the person you refer to, tries to defend it is beyond me and seems to be a standard believers way of trying to justify something that is clearly wrong in their scriptures.

But lets try to compare it to a fictive scenario, imagine we found an old law book from a now extinct civilization. Among the laws we read the following:

And God told them, these are the laws:
1. If you marry a girl of the age of 10, you must care for her until she can carry your child. For she is now your property.
2. if she refuse to obey, you must punish her for she is your property.

Now regardless of whether the God demanded that men married girls of the age of 10 or not, it would be clear from the laws being in such book, that doing such thing is not seen as being wrong and also we can assume that such thing probably were rather normal in such society or else they wouldn't have made such laws in the first place.

So when we find laws in the Bible telling the Israelites how to treat slaves, how to punish then and how far they can go in beating them, without themselves getting punished, then they are obviously not encourage not to take slaves. Besides that you have stories in the bible where God command the Jews to kill some others people, but the women they can take for themselves.

Why the person you talk about would ignore those stories and laws, again seems to be just an excuse to justify things that are clearly immoral, because God is, as we know, said to be all good, so clearly he can't do anything wrong. So ways to get around this and not point a finger at God, is to spin the stories or ignore them. Other excuses which are also very common, is that this were different times and therefore it was needed. Which clearly doesn't fit well with an all good, all knowing and all powerful God, if this is the best he can do, with such abilities.

I do however think that its good that we do not follow the bible today, because it is probably among some of the worse morality that one can teach others. Again talking about what is actually in the bible and not the cherry picking and "want to be true" stuff, that religions are teaching people, which have very little to do with the teachings of Jesus, Moses or even God for that matter.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This might sound strange, but I do not think I understand how or why people can be confident the Bible is a guide to living.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not trying to imply that it is wrong to be confident the Bible is a guide to living. I just mean I don't have a sense or feel for how someone can do that -- how someone can be so confident the Bible is a guide to living.

The closest I am able to come to taking the Bible -- or any "wisdom literature" -- as a guide to living is to take such things tentatively, hypothetically. Sort of as if their authors were saying, "Here, try this -- see if it works for you".

Yet I know there are people who are able to happily and without worry do all sorts of (to me) questionable things because "the Bible says so". It is easy for me to assume I understand them, understand how they feel about it, but the reality is, they are a bit of a mystery to me.

MikeDwight

Its not legal to own a Bible for Catholics. They have pretend American websites of deep Catholic Bible interpretation and guidance. OK Well, Whatever good for that. Everybody can be burned to death in Catholicism for the ownership of written Bibles, which is totally against your Catholic faith! I don't even need to be Catholic to point out your cultural bubble to you. Literacy, whatever, owning a Bible is a crime in which thousands died horribly. How do you all think you fit in where , Italy, their top 6 Saints , not Jesus, are some decisions some Popes came to over time about some important people.

Completely skip the Bible, my avatar is the National Monument of Scotland. Its a ruined-look Parthenon. That's from Athens Greece. Athens is in your Bible Acts 17. There's also a Parthenon in Nashville's 100-year centennial celebration park. Where has freeing the slaves "MOVED" us, anyway? Along the road with "Little Napoleon" Mclellan, and Ulysses Grant, and all their type, with the Napoleon the Scots fought against. Now Dwight Eisenhower. We're moving toward a Laicite of that upsetting French revolutionary government the Scots fought against. The effect has been unbiblical.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Where has freeing the slaves "MOVED" us, anyway? Along the road with "Little Napoleon" Mclellan, and Ulysses Grant, and all their type....

....The effect has been unbiblical.

This is an interesting view. One I hadn't considered - that the effects of ending slavery (war) were actually worse than slavery itself.

...At least I think that's what you're getting at.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeDwight

First, that's not what I said concerning the progress of civilization toward biblical authorship. Second, we all pretty much Assumed that. a million dead and maimed honorable men to send 4 million people on some migration pattern, itself, is no worthy cost ratio.

I read your original OP. The closest I could call that, hadn't you heard the Greek Epics of Homer, or that Greek "Theus" is closest related to Zeus, or people compare the cast-down half-human son of Zeus , Heracles , or Hercules, from the Disney Movies, to what a Greek hears in the one-divine nature of Jesus Christ. I could read the Bible as a Greek Epic with ease.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
First, that's not what I said concerning the progress of civilization toward biblical authorship. Second, we all pretty much Assumed that. a million dead and maimed honorable men to send 4 million people on some migration pattern, itself, is no worthy cost ratio.

I think I see what you mean now -that slavery itself created alot of problems to begin with, as well as wars and countless deaths.

MikeDwight

All I know is the Union hit-job to convince African Americans alive today about some insane ignorance in the media. Is anyone concerned about slaving Barack Obama? I'm just curious about that one. We're totally alienated from the endless indian wars, famines, John Brown shot blacks and he was a looter, shot the train assistant.

Slavery caused countless lives. The 300,000 imported, which is 2% of the Atlantic Slave Trade, see how this is a real Brother-Sisterhood, has abundant growth, good conditions, successful indoctrination if you don't believe them, no recorded bad words on masters. Family correspondence. That became 4 million slaves at faster rates than the general population, and rape and prostitution is Rampant from abolition, wondering prostitutes poverty and desperation. Race-mixing is heavily dominant afterwards without any law and order whatsoever. If there were recorded mulatto and advantage-taking, total outcast behavior, went even for antics into some town brothel and saloon, and that was done by non-plantation owners that wonder in and take your property, its recorded.

Last edited:

leov

So how do we view the bible? Do we view it as something we are supposed to copy in our lives, or do we view it as information on things that have occured in the past for our knowledge..?

"Fifty Gates of Understanding were created in the world, and 49 were give to Moshe Rabbeinu. (Rosh Hashanah 21b)
The “Fifty Gates of Understanding” represent 50 spiritual channels, if you will, through which the Divine light of understanding makes its way from the upper realm to the lower realms. The gates themselves are the basis of all of Torah, and just achieving a few of the “gates” would make one a wise person. Receiving 49 of the 50 gates is beyond our present level of comprehension"
Fifty Gates of Understanding • Torah.org

Sometime ago, this is principle way I was explained the Bible.

MikeDwight

Did you know the early American diet was usually pounds of Turkey? I've come to the philosophy of what did it matter, anyway?

I think Bible gives this good advice:

Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.
First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

I think when one reads the Bible, it would be helpful to understand the context, that usually solves that for whom it is meant and how one should act.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe the Bible has all kinds of things in it, political news, religious news, prophecy, poetry, stories, parables, metaphors, narrative accounts, laws, commands and personal opinions.

I believe a judicious person will recognize which is which. Also there are laws that are universal and other laws specific to the Jews of the time.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I remember when I was a teenager, when life stressed me out, I would pull out a bible and just randomly open it, and hope to God that I would choose a page that would guide me in some way or another... But that was just my immaturity.

I believe there are people in church who mean well when they tell me to behave myself. My answer is that I am better off behaving Jesus.