• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slaughtering of Dolphins and Whales

Gemini

I originally thought about this when posting in the favorite animals thread, but in retrospec it seems out of place there.

I'm not going to go into great detail here, just wanna get a range of opinions on the matter. What do you think of the practice of whaling and Dolphining (?). There seems to me to be a great deal of evidence to suggest that these animals are just as intelligent as humans, but in a different way.

I speak primarily of Asian countries, especially Japan, that are industrialized and don't necessarily need to rely on these animals for survival. So we'll leave the Eskimos alone, for now.

Those in favor of the practice often argue that it is way of life for these people, they've been doing it for thousands of years, and it is necessary to feed their families. There's also the issue of sentience. I will focus on dolphins here because they seem to be the Einstein's of the sea, whereas whales are more like the Chris Farley's. They're pretty smart, fun-
loving, obese, and probably play comic sidekick to the dolphin's straight man routine.

From what I've learned, they have a complex range of vocalizations that we have only just begun to understand. Their biological sonar equipment is exponentially more advanced than anything we've managed to create. We're using daguerreotype essentially while they cruise around with state of the art HD equipment, likely 3d prepared.

It's been concluded that they do play for the sheer fun of it ( they even make
bubble rings and push them around), and that they seem to have complex emotions. One rogue dolphin saved a beached whale and her calf in New Zealand by first comforting them and then leading them through a narrow passage back to the open sea. This can be viewed on YouTube by searching "dolphin saves whales new Zealand", which I will try to link in a minute. It's well-known that they learn tricks exceptionally well and possibly even goad the Orca's into to bodyslamming of pulling their master underwater. In addition to these suspected homicidal instincts, they also have been observed to commit suicide by diving deep and not coming up for air. Whether this is due to depression, illness, or auto-erotic asphixiation is unknown. I've heard they're one of the few animals that has sex for pleasure alone.

As for whales, they seem to a lot bigger, not quite as intelligent, and mentally more stable. Perhaps there are documented whale suicide attempts, but I haven't done any research. They do seem to get depressed in captivity ala Free Willy.

Given the capacity to feel pain, evidently experience complex emotions, and communicate in a sophisticated manner, do you think these animals should still be killed in such a brutal fashion, or any fashion, for that matter? I don't expect them to stand up and hold a conversation to me, but it looks to me that they're possibly even more advanced than us, just in ways we can't expect to comprehend, but should respect more.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Dolphins kill other creatures and can generally be quite nasty. They are not the angels we make them out to be.

This may be worth reading: The 6 Biggest ******** in the Animal Kingdom | Cracked.com

It is unpleasant the idea to eat dolphins. However, Western societies eat pigs. Pigs have an IQ of around that of a three year old human child. Cows are supposedly clever, too. Why, then, should eating them be much different to the consumption of a dolphin or whale?

It seems culturally influenced, and a bit strange, to eat the flesh of one animal and oppose others eating the flesh of an animal we do not eat. Every animal feels pain, after all.

My $0.02. :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Anthropomorphizing animals is a dangerous enterprise. It easily induces inappropriate emotional reactions. And, there is NO "great deal of evidence to suggest that these animals are just as intelligent as humans, but in a different way." So please, no pleading such commonality. They may have more human-like characteristics than other animals, but they're still nonhuman animals. As long as hunting them doesn't endanger their populations I don't care if it's done or not. Just as I don't care if they kill beef cattle for my hamburgers.

Gemini

That's interesting and I have heard that pigs are one of the most intelligent animals. I guess I'm not seeing the emotional characteristics that dolphins display. Could anyone search for dolphin saves whales in new Zealand and embed it here for me? I'm on my iPhone and it's not letting me do it. I'd appreciate it, but I guess it's not essential.

One of my main goals in life is to make the switch to veganism so as not to contribute to the demand for meat. I figure that we live in a society where much of the dependence on meat is no longer necessary nutritionally. I understand this would hurt a lot of business, and that I don't practice what I preach, but I'll get there.

Gemini

How much complexity of emotion, creativity, and language does it require? I'm also not anthropomorphizing them gratuitously. They do a lot of things that seem to suggest emotion, though I allowed the possibility for other explanations.

Gemini

It seems to me that animals are the next in line for a rights movement. Dolphins appear to me to be the top of the line. unfortunately, they're so different that they aren't able or inclined to stage rally's until we finally get the message that we're doing is causing unjust suffering.

Gemini

or stage rally's ever. That came out wrong. It's just that it seems we need a lot of protest to realize that we're being unjust. When we try to kill them, they protest, and when we try to keep them captive, they tend to show disapproval, but the gap between our two natures just makes it okay, somehow.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One of my main goals in life is to make the switch to veganism so as not to contribute to the demand for meat. I figure that we live in a society where much of the dependence on meat is no longer necessary nutritionally. I understand this would hurt a lot of business, and that I don't practice what I preach, but I'll get there.

I'm shooting for lacto-ovo. Since June I've not eaten anything with hair or fur, except for one or two slip ups (sausage and pepperoni pizza :rolleyes:) which I felt extremely guilty for. I still eat feathered and finned things and eggs for now.

Gemini

That's great :D . Congrats! May I ask what your reasons for for making the choice to reduce your intake of animal products?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vaishnavism... follower of Vishnu/Krishna. Vegan would be the ideal for His devotees.

Gemini

In my opinion, there simply needs to come about a sea change in ethics for this to occur. In my mind, it simply makes sense that now that we have the option to get all our nutritional requirements from other sources besides animals, that the latter option is superior because it has high potential in resulting in less suffering inflicted on a living creature. But the concept of ethics has for the most part thus far concerned how humans should treat other humans. This, combined with the status quo and admittedly our omnivoric nature, are hampering this.

Gemini

I'm using the manifestation of dolphin characteristics that are Also among the most cherished human characteristics as at least an attempt to start bridging the gap.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Given the capacity to feel pain, evidently experience complex emotions, and communicate in a sophisticated manner, do you think these animals should still be killed in such a brutal fashion, or any fashion, for that matter? I don't expect them to stand up and hold a conversation to me, but it looks to me that they're possibly even more advanced than us, just in ways we can't expect to comprehend, but should respect more.

Thoughts?
Why do you believe these characteristics place whales and dolphins above other living things? Trees don't have these characteristics, but if we wipe out trees I suspect the consequences would be more devastating then wiping out certain species of whales and dolphins.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In my opinion, there simply needs to come about a sea change in ethics for this to occur. In my mind, it simply makes sense that now that we have the option to get all our nutritional requirements from other sources besides animals, that the latter option is superior because it has high potential in resulting in less suffering inflicted on a living creature. But the concept of ethics has for the most part thus far concerned how humans should treat other humans. This, combined with the status quo and admittedly our omnivoric nature, are hampering this.
Gemini

Posting protocol here is that when responding to a post to include the relevant statement(s) in your post along with the poster's name, just as I've done here. It helps to keep others from having to guess whose post you're replying to. Simply click on the "quote" function in the lower right corner and then continue with your response.

Gemini

Why do you believe these characteristics place whales and dolphins above other living things? Trees don't have these characteristics, but if we wipe out trees I suspect the consequences would be more devastating then wiping out certain species of whales and dolphins.

It just seems to me that vegetation is different. As far as we know, they don't feel pain, and fruits and vegetables can be harvested many times. I don't condone devastating forests or anything. I try not to place different values on any sort of life, I'm simply interested in the reduction of suffering. This is conjecture here, but it seems to me if they're capable of complex emotions, compared to a jellyfish, for instance, then their mental suffering when dying a terrible death is probably more similar to ours. It seems we most sympathize with beings that appear to have a complex range of emotions, as well as the intelligence to fully comprehend what's happening. That's why I picked dolphins and whales as my figureheads.

Last edited: