• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Size of the Universe (poetry)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Its about having a big enough argument, a larger context than your debate opponent.

I was once a droplet pushed around
like a dog running in a human crowd
a mouse in a jungle or a vanilla marble
but then I left home and learned and grew

I hoped that growing would solve things, and for a time it seemed like it did. I learned in what ways I had been petty, had not thought big enough. I began to think bigger.

I learned to surround, to best and break pride
became the undertow and the pawing tide
even that was too small to stop all tattle
I grew even larger to check mate the prattle

I was larger and pretty cool, but some people were cooler. They were..slippery or something. I felt sometimes I was merely a spill or a splash and not a pawing tide. I had to grow bigger, so I checked my own petty thoughts again and grew my arguments and my mind.

I became the darkness before the cloud
my prism of passions pressing words down
smiling and smouldering I'd slide
spindly tongue an imprisoning row

Still not big enough. Unbelievably, I'd outgrown one class of problems, but now I had bigger ones in focus. The old stuff was childs play, but maybe I was thinking too small again. My arguments got bigger and swallowed the older ones.

larger I grew til I was the sky
could say no to the climbers that wanted to fly
but the dam earth beneath me was spinning
If I didn't keep up it would pass me by

So I said goodbye to my dear earth and headed into space.

Dam it was cold. Dam I was lonely. And dam it was cold.

this poem is unfinished

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Its about having a big enough argument, a larger context than your debate opponent.

I was once a droplet pushed around
like a dog running in a human crowd
a mouse in a jungle or a vanilla marble
but then I left home and learned and grew

I hoped that growing would solve things, and for a time it seemed like it did. I learned in what ways I had been petty, had not thought big enough. I began to think bigger.

I learned to surround, to best and break pride
became the undertow and the pawing tide
even that was too small to stop all tattle
I grew even larger to check mate the prattle

I was larger and pretty cool, but some people were cooler. They were..slippery or something. I felt sometimes I was merely a spill or a splash and not a pawing tide. I had to grow bigger, so I checked my own petty thoughts again and grew my arguments and my mind.

I became the darkness before the cloud
my prism of passions pressing words down
smiling and smouldering I'd slide
spindly tongue an imprisoning row

Still not big enough. Unbelievably, I'd outgrown one class of problems, but now I had bigger ones in focus. The old stuff was childs play, but maybe I was thinking too small again. My arguments got bigger and swallowed the older ones.

larger I grew til I was the sky
could say no to the climbers that wanted to fly
but the dam earth beneath me was spinning
If I didn't keep up it would pass me by

So I said goodbye to my dear earth and headed into space.

this poem is unfinished
quite deep.. I need to read it again.

Kenny

Premium Member
Still not big enough. Unbelievably, I'd outgrown one class of problems, but now I had bigger ones in focus.

It is true than when one graduates from being at the high end of solving a problem and argument, you graduate to the low end of the next level.

This part was interesting... do we get so high minded that we go into irrelevancy and are alone?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
It is true than when one graduates from being at the high end of solving a problem and argument, you graduate to the low end of the next level.
and sometimes we tend to think that we have another person's point of view surrounded and that we have understood their perspective. Which sometimes we do, but instead of connecting us it alienates us. Also we can be wrong and only think that we have understood their perspective. I also tend to be a meddler, and I want to *help*. That is even more alienating.

This part was interesting... do we get so high minded that we go into irrelevancy and are alone?
I think that could be. In my experience of going from one faith position to another I think that perhaps I have been a little bit like a meteor flying to the earth and being burned up and losing connections to people (shrinking) along the way. Will I still have human contact when I reach the ground? Where is this going to end? An example besides me would be a person who has to leave their church. Maybe the church has taken some awful unethical position or there is something in it that worries them so much that they feel they must go. Maybe a university professor has decided that something stinks in the financial department, and they want no part of it. Maybe a politician doesn't like something their party says. Can a person function alone and with his own sense of morality? I think its starting to look like a good question, because apart from other people we tend to break down. People connect us with reality. They are the beginning of our ability to connect with anything.

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm just quoting one and will return to the other

and sometimes we tend to think that we have another person's point of view surrounded and that we have understood their perspective. Which sometimes we do, but instead of connecting us it alienates us.

Yes, I suppose that can and does happen. I can see when one understands the other persons perspective it can separate. We can see that in so many flashpoint issues.

Being an optimist, it could also draw one closer :)

Also we can be wrong and only think that we have understood their perspective..

Can't deny that.

I also tend to be a meddler, and I want to *help*. That is even more alienating.

LOL... That use to be my problem. My wife would share an issue and then I would want "to help". But she wanted me only to listen. That was soooooo frustrating!

But, interestingly enough, it seems that in our golden years we have switched positions.