• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sisyphus

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Great question!

As I interpret the myth, Sisyphus represents the human condition. That is, it is human nature to endlessly struggle for such things as peace, fairness, justice, reason, wisdom, etc. But we so seldom seem to fully succeed, and all our efforts might at any moment come crashing down in, say, a world war. So why do we keep at it? Why not resign ourselves war, injustice, irrationality, etc.? Of course some of us do just that. But why don't we all?

I think, Sum, we live in a world in which we make our own meaning and purpose. There is no god-given meaning and purpose for us. And so, we are free to choose the meaning and purpose that is truest to our individual natures. For some of us, that might mean resigning themselves to war, injustice, etc. For others, that might mean never resigning themselves to those things. It boils down, perhaps, to a question of what makes us who we are.

Naturally, there are other interpretations of the myth besides my own.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
That was nicely said, and I've interpreted it similarly; a model for the condition in which we set in ourselves that we do meaningless things, looking forward to different results that will not come.

Thanks for the response!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Great question!

As I interpret the myth, Sisyphus represents the human condition. That is, it is human nature to endlessly struggle for such things as peace, fairness, justice, reason, wisdom, etc. But we so seldom seem to fully succeed, and all our efforts might at any moment come crashing down in, say, a world war. So why do we keep at it? Why not resign ourselves war, injustice, irrationality, etc.? Of course some of us do just that. But why don't we all?

I think, Sum, we live in a world in which we make our own meaning and purpose. There is no god-given meaning and purpose for us. And so, we are free to choose the meaning and purpose that is truest to our individual natures. For some of us, that might mean resigning themselves to war, injustice, etc. For others, that might mean never resigning themselves to those things. It boils down, perhaps, to a question of what makes us who we are.

Naturally, there are other interpretations of the myth besides my own.

This reminds me of Albert Camus' interpretation of Sisyphus, Sunstone.

He can give up, but presumably in one way: by giving up his negative viewpoint of suffering. He is cursed by the gods, he cannot give up his punishment. But he can start to enjoy the journey, monotonous as it is.

Perhaps that mind-switch is the only thing to release him from the gods' punishment.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
This reminds me of Albert Camus' interpretation of Sisyphus, Sunstone.

He can give up, but presumably in one way: by giving up his negative viewpoint of suffering. He is cursed by the gods, he cannot give up his punishment. But he can start to enjoy the journey, monotonous as it is.

Perhaps that mind-switch is the only thing to release him from the gods' punishment.

That sounds a lot like stoicism :D