• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sister wives under investigation

Smoke

Done here.
Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
It's funny, I just finished watching Sister Wives for the first time
just a few minutes before you put up this post.

Looking at the whole matter
there is only one legal marriage.
So the rest is really, what?
Adultery in the eyes of the law?
There were no attempts at (fraudulently)
obtaining more than one legal marriage,
so they cannot be charged there.
There are no underage partners.

So all the state really has is "Adultery".
Who prosecutes Adultery?! you know?

How can it be prosecutable polygamy
if he only has one legal wife.

So he has one wife and two (soon to be 3)
committed lovers.
His legal wife is cool with it,
The kids seem well taken care of,
so what business is it of the state?

Smoke

Done here.
How can it be prosecutable polygamy
if he only has one legal wife.

That's what I think. Since these are grown women who married him freely, and not minors pressured into marriage, I don't think it's any of the state's business.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
When Utah declared polygamy illegal in order to gain statehood, they went whole hog with the law. Cohabitation is all it takes to be illegal; they don't require it to be actual marriages.

Pity though. Just another example of the government dictating peoples lives.

blackout

Violet.
When Utah declared polygamy illegal in order to gain statehood, they went whole hog with the law. Cohabitation is all it takes to be illegal; they don't require it to be actual marriages.

Pity though. Just another example of the government dictating peoples lives.

So it's cohabitation that's illegal?

meaning what?

People can't live together there
outside of legal wedlock? :confused:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
So it's cohabitation that's illegal?

meaning what?

People can't live together there
outside of legal wedlock? :confused:

Not exactly. Polygamy is illegal, but they use cohabitation of more than two people as evidence of the crime.

So, as in Sister Wife, there is only one official marriage. But he is cohabitating with the others which the state sees as evidence of polygamy.

linwood

Not exactly. Polygamy is illegal, but they use cohabitation of more than two people as evidence of the crime.

So, as in Sister Wife, there is only one official marriage. But he is cohabitating with the others which the state sees as evidence of polygamy.

The state wouldn`t ever dare to prosecute this.

They`d be overturned and declared unconstitutional on the first appeal.

That`s why they aren`t going to prosecute.

They won't prosecute. There are so many people that still practice polygamy that unless there is something wrong (children being abused, etc) then they won't do anything about it.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
It oughta be illegal to ruin a good one-male/many-female polyamorous relationship with marriage, though. :p

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Wow. With all the crap the LDS get over the polygamy thing, I'm surprised at how supportive you all are of it.

Duck

Wow. With all the crap the LDS get over the polygamy thing, I'm surprised at how supportive you all are of it.

I personally don't have a beef with polygamy, nor with the previous LDS support of polygamy. My beef with the LDS church is mostly related to their blatantly bigoted stance when it comes to LGBT secular equality.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Not everyone thinks that the entire population should be forced to live by their values. I might not personally be in favor of polygamy, but that doesn't mean I think it should be illegal.

Smoke

Done here.

I have concerns about fundamentalist sects that pressure young girls into marriage and shun their excess boys. But I support the right of adults to live as they damned well choose without being harassed by the state.