• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Single or married?

Riders

The Bible says we are to go forth and be fruitful, multiply the earth with humans! When I was in the Pentecostal church, men who wanted to preach could not take on a church unless they were married.y sister says churches don't have as many single groups as they use to.

This woman on youtube who use to be a Hare Krishna said her Ashram would only allow women to do 2 things, live in the ashram or be married.

So my question for Christians and other religions is does the church and other religions support singles as they should?

Viker

Häxan
We don't tell others how to conduct their personal affairs. Let's say, if they decide to be celibate, that is fine and we treat them no different than those who date around (but remain single) or those who marry. We do offer elaborate wedding, rededication and divorce ceremonies. And if singles approach us for assistance we gladly help.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The Bible says we are to go forth and be fruitful, multiply the earth with humans! When I was in the Pentecostal church, men who wanted to preach could not take on a church unless they were married.y sister says churches don't have as many single groups as they use to.

This woman on youtube who use to be a Hare Krishna said her Ashram would only allow women to do 2 things, live in the ashram or be married.

So my question for Christians and other religions is does the church and other religions support singles as they should?
Throughout history, and to this day, the celibate life has been and is greatly valued in the Christian church. There are also lots of single people at church - probably at least as many as there are families, I would guess. But I'm unsure what you mean by "support". I'm not sure our church supports any group specifically, apart from religious instruction for children and their parents, and I'm not sure what form it might take. There are social activities, but they are for all.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids has never asked me about this matter. Given this information is not asked for, anyone who becomes a member is supported equally regardless of this status.

They also don't ask after one's race, ethnicity, sex, or gender for that matter.

Psalm23

Some churches have small groups for singles. I haven't heard of any churches doing matchmaking for singles.

Riders

Whether someone gets married or not is up to the individual.

This is true.
Whether someone gets married or not is up to the individual.

This is true. However, the bible says it's better to marry than burn in your lust. We are supposed to go forth and have babies and replenish the earth.

I have had many church folks surprised because I told them I have never had children. As an older woman, I get the idea they didn't approve of me not having any children.

I think some churches who require their pastors to be married think in terms of him being tempted by sex if he does not get married.

How many single male pastors do we have? This excludes the Catholics whose priests are single. Does the church encourage folks especially the leadership to be married so they won't fall into lust?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Earthseed is such a small religion that there is virtually no support to find fellow members. We have a central website (www.godischange.org) but I don't use my religion to find a significant other. Since I am disabled with bipolar disorder, I don't think anyone, even a female syntheist, would really want to date me. Women want to be taken care of and I don't have the means or capital to do that - I can barely take care of myself as it is!

Watchmen

Premium Member
In Mormonism, which I left nearly a decade ago, marriage is absolutely essential for so-called “exaltation.” If you’re not married, you’re a second class citizen.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Women want to be taken care of and I don't have the means or capital to do that - I can barely take care of myself as it is!
Probably most women in your age group do want to be taken care of, but not all women want to be taken care of, especially older women like me who have money and have learned to take care of themselves.

A man I met on a Baha'i dating site said he could not get married because he was on a pension, a fixed income, so he could not afford to be married. That would not matter to me because I have plenty of money, but unfortunately he lived in New Zealand and he was not up for moving to the U.S. Also, men have their pride so most men would not want a woman paying for what they cannot afford, since it is tradition that men take care of women, not vice versa.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Since I see all people as souls, and not people, marital status and a whole lot of other factors are irrelevant.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Probably most women in your age group do want to be taken care of, but not all women want to be taken care of, especially older women like me who have money and have learned to take care of themselves.

A man I met on a Baha'i dating site said he could not get married because he was on a pension, a fixed income, so he could not afford to be married. That would not matter to me because I have plenty of money, but unfortunately he lived in New Zealand and he was not up for moving to the U.S. Also, men have their pride so most men would not want a woman paying for what they cannot afford, since it is tradition that men take care of women, not vice versa.

I got to admit my "dream" scenario is being with someone else with mental illness and facing our challenges head on with each other. I used to have a neighbor in my old apartment that faced issues similarly to me but there just was no real connection to speak of from that. I can't take care of anyone financially and frankly I don't want anyone to do the same for me.

One day you'll find someone who is suitable for you. Someone who would be able to travel for you, if he doesn't already live near where you live. I know there's not a lot of Baha'is in the world but there's got to be at least one lonely older Baha'i gentlemen who happens to love cats that would be perfect for you. Keep up the search and let us know if you get anywhere with it. :)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The Bible says we are to go forth and be fruitful, multiply the earth with humans
The Bible also speaks about "tearing eye out"
"English Standard Version
And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire."

Interesting, people who exhibit Bible verses rarely mention "tear out your own eye". They do instruct others what to do, but not this particular one

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I got to admit my "dream" scenario is being with someone else with mental illness and facing our challenges head on with each other.
That is what I had in my marriage and I think that is why we were drawn to each other and why it lasted so long. Don't discount the possibility of finding someone who is facing similar challenges as I am sure there are many women out there facing them...
It is just finding them that can be difficult, which is the same problem I have, finding someone who is suitable for me.

My late husband had just been released from a psych hospital a few weeks before I met him, and I was also under psychiatric care. We were both Baha'is, so it was a match made in heaven.
One day you'll find someone who is suitable for you. Someone who would be able to travel for you, if he doesn't already live near where you live. I know there's not a lot of Baha'is in the world but there's got to be at least one lonely older Baha'i gentlemen who happens to love cats that would be perfect for you. Keep up the search and let us know if you get anywhere with it. :)
Thanks. I am sure there is someone, I just have to be patient and keep looking. He doesn't have to love cats but he has to accept them and he will learn to love them. :)