• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Single or Married?

Are you happily single or married

• Married and happy

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Married and getting divorced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single and happy being single

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Single looking for love and partner

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Single looking for a good time

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Met in 1992 married in 1995. Started great, then went down hill, almost to the point of divorce but we worked it out and now i cannot imagine any other man as a husband as wonderful. This guy has gone way beyond limits of manhood for me

exchemist

Veteran Member
So just seeing how many of us singles are here and how many of us are not happy in our situations. Too many people including my family look to marriage to cure them of troubles. So I just thought this would be interesting.
You've left out a category in your poll: those who are single, not specially happy, but who don't look for a sexual or romantic partner to improve their situation. For example, many widowed people who are getting on in years, such as myself.;)

I actually think there is too often, in society, an assumption that the solution to an unsatisfactory life must be a romantic partner. Romantic relationships are a lot of work. They require a good deal of energy, a lot of compromise and they subject one to the roulette wheel (sometimes even rollercoaster) of someone else's problems and moods. I found my marriage and fatherhood extremely fulfilling but I most certainly don't think I have the energy or patience to volunteer for another helping of that at my stage of life (I'm nearly 68), even assuming I found someone who I considered could credibly take the place of my wife (a tall order).

So I look for satisfaction in other dimensions of life. I feel sure this is a very common situation.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
So just seeing how many of us singles are here and how many of us are not happy in our situations. Too many people including my family look to marriage to cure them of troubles. So I just thought this would be interesting.
I am happily married, but I was happy when I was single, too. Actually, I was very fine being alone.

I don't think there is a strong correlation between being married, vs. being single for what concerns happiness levels. Those levels are mainly determined by what we wish, and whether we have it. Being it a partner, or being left alone.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Riders

You've left out a category in your poll: those who are single, not specially happy, but who don't look for a sexual or romantic partner to improve their situation. For example, many widowed people who are getting on in years, such as myself.;)

I actually think there is too often, in society, an assumption that the solution to an unsatisfactory life must be a romantic partner. Romantic relationships are a lot of work. They require a good deal of energy, a lot of compromise and they subject one to the roulette wheel (sometimes even rollercoaster) of someone else's problems and moods. I found my marriage and fatherhood extremely fulfilling but I most certainly don't think I have the energy or patience to volunteer for another helping of that at my stage of life (I'm nearly 68), even assuming I found someone who I considered could credibly take the place of my wife (a tall order).

So I look for satisfaction in other dimensions of life. I feel sure this is a very common situation.

Well, that would fall under single and happy. Hopefully, I am falling under that category with no sex and no dating. I have heard stories in Over Eaters Anonymous of folks starting over and getting married in their 60s and even early 70s yes.

I also know a few folks are going to college in their 60s. I a 55 so I have not given up yet. I'd like to think I could find someone after I lose this weight. But if not I'll find a way to be happy.