• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Since everyone likes philosophical arguments for gods existence...

uberrobonomicon4000

Here is one that I'm sure everyone will enjoy.

1) If god exists then it is possible god exists in all possible states.
2) All possible states include states where god is said not to exist or be present.
3) If god exists in all possible states even where god isn't present.
4) Then the lack of presence doesn’t exclude the existence of god.
5) Therefore, god exists.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Employing "possible," as in
modal logic, is equivalent to the statement "It is not necessary that god exists in all possible states."

2) All possible states include states where god is said not to exist or be present."
Who cares what is said? Might want to rephrase this as
; "All possible states include states where god does not exist."

3-4) If god exists in all possible states even where god isn't present then the lack of presence doesn’t exclude the existence of god.
This violates the law of non-contradiction: Given a statement and its opposite, both cannot be true.

5)Therefore, god exists.

Nope. Doesn't follow at all.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
If you are going to try to prove God's existence by this kind of argument, then make sure to construct an argument that does not also apply to prove the existence of other mythical beings, e.g. elves, fairies, Santa Claus, etc. Even if your logic were valid (which it is not), there is nothing about God that would necessitate his existence and not that of unicorns and Paul Bunyan.

Alceste

Vagabond

2) All possible states include states where god is said not to exist or be present.

If God does not exist, then it is impossible that God exists in any possible state.
Any possible state includes states where God is said to exist.
If God does not exist in any possible state, then the lack of presence excludes the existence of God.
Therefore, God does not exist.

And if wishes were fishes, I'd eat like a queen! :D

uberrobonomicon4000

Employing "possible," as in
modal logic, is equivalent to the statement "It is not necessary that god exists in all possible states."

Who cares what is said? Might want to rephrase this as; "All possible states include states where god does not exist."
Either way it doesn't' matter. Because I have done it both ways already.

This violates the law of non-contradiction: Given a statement and its opposite, both cannot be true.

Nope. Doesn't follow at all.
Yeah, nice try. But you might to try reading it again.

Last edited:

uberrobonomicon4000

If you are going to try to prove God's existence by this kind of argument, then make sure to construct an argument that does not also apply to prove the existence of other mythical beings, e.g. elves, fairies, Santa Claus, etc. Even if your logic were valid (which it is not), there is nothing about God that would necessitate his existence and not that of unicorns and Paul Bunyan.
I'm not talking about unicorns. I could create another argument if you wish for unicorns however.

Last edited:

uberrobonomicon4000

If God does not exist, then it is impossible that God exists in any possible state.
Any possible state includes states where God is said to exist.
If God does not exist in any possible state, then the lack of presence excludes the existence of God.
Therefore, God does not exist.

And if wishes were fishes, I'd eat like a queen! :D
Well you might not eat much because im not wishing for anything. You would be a not-so-well-fed queen!

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

A variation of Anselm's Proof and just as logically flawed.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Sandy is right on the money. Basically, you can't define God or anything else into existence. If these kinds of arguments worked, then I would start working on a logical argument that would raise the balance in my bank account. :)

uberrobonomicon4000

So just out of curiosity, what is it you people have a problem with? The last sentence (5)?

1)If god exists then it is possible god exists in all possible states.
2)All possible states include states where god isn’t present.
3)If god exists in all possible states even when god isn’t present
4)Then the lack of presence doesn’t exclude the existence of god

Even without the last sentence I don't see any problems with this.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So just out of curiosity, what is it you people have a problem with? The last sentence (5)?

1)If god exists then it is possible god exists in all possible states.
2)All possible states include states where god isn’t present.
3)If god exists in all possible states even when god isn’t present
4)Then the lack of presence doesn’t exclude the existence of god

Even without the last sentence I don't see any problems with this.
To many problems to even begin to get into. :/

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
States of affairs do not exist independently of the thought of their subject or the fact of their subject. They are abstract. The possbility of (something) in a state has the identical subject, though negated, as the possibility of (not that thing) in that state. There is no state of that thing that would allow the subject to be absent.

uberrobonomicon4000

States of affairs do not exist independently of the thought of their subject or the fact of their subject. They are abstract. The possbility of (something) in a state has the identical subject, though negated, as the possibility of (not that thing) in that state. There is no state of that thing that would allow the subject to be absent.
Yeah, I didn't understand any of that.

All it is saying is the lack of presence doesn't mean god does not exist. Not that hard to understand really.

dust1n

Zindīq

To accept this premise we would first have to accept god to exist.

Just so we can prove God.

So the argument is circular, among many other things.