• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin

nPeace

Veteran Member
The Non-opinionated View of sin - Biblical based
This is the Biblical debates forum.

Strong's Hebrew: 2403. חַטָּאָה (chatta'ah) -- sin
chatta'ah: sin
Original Word: חַטָּאָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: chatta'ah
Definition: sinful thing, sin

What exactly is sin?
Strong's Hebrew: 2398. חָטָא (chata) -- to miss, go wrong, sin
chata: to miss, go wrong, sin
Original Word: חָטָא
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: chata
Definition: to miss, go wrong, sin

The Hebrew word chata, mean miss, or to miss, and is translated sin.
Thus the understanding of missing a mark, or falling short of a mark or goal, going wrong, or off course - off target.

The first use of the word is found in Genesis 4:7
"If you turn to doing good, will you not be restored to favor? But if you do not turn to doing good, sin is crouching at the door, and its craving is to dominate you; but will you get the mastery over it?"

If Cain did not turn to doing good, he would not get the mastery over the sin that was lurking - missing the mark, or going wrong.
Obviously the mark had to be set, and someone needed to set it.
So this was the mark or standard of right that God set. Cain was about to miss it... if he did not turn to doing good.

So, sin is what God considers a falling short of the standard he set, whether that be the quality of life, or the activities associated with that life. (More on this later, since I have to go)

The quality of life God set at the beginning of man's creation, was perfection. (More on this later)
However, a short bit on this, which I just copied and pasted from one of my posts. (Be back later)

Perfection - A simple explanation.

Why is God absolutely perfect?
There is nothing he is lacking - He cannot be possibly better.

Now imagine that he could be better. Then he would not be perfect... in the absolute sense.
If that were the case, then it would mean there is someone or something that demands or sets requirements for perfection.

However, could he be perfect?
Let's imagine though that this someone or something - though perfect in the absolute, declares God perfect, God's perfection is relative to the someone or something.
We can think of it as someone setting a bar, and calling it "The level of perfection". The one at the level of the bar is perfect to the one who set the bar, because they cannot go beyond - they can do no better, or be no better.
Thus since there is no other, God is perfect, and sets the law of perfection.
As creator, he sets the bar for his creation. As the all powerful all wise creator, he knows what's best (just as Ford knows what his models require, and what makes them "perfect")

This is plainly seen in the Bible.
When God created Adam and Eve, in fact, everything, he declared them, "very good". Why? They could be no better than they were. Or, they were exactly as God wanted them to be. They met his standard, or requirements.
God made humans - fleshly beings - to live on earth, and with a mind to make decisions concerning what they would do, or not do (free will, or choice), which means, they could not leave the earth, and fly into space, in their natural state. They were not programmed, to do only what a programmer wired them to do.
So they were perfect... at the level of the bar God set. They could not go beyond. They could remain at that level, but they could also fall bellow.
They did.
That's where we got the term sin - to miss the mark [of perfection], or in other words, to miss the mark of God's righteous standards, or to fall short of the [reasonable] standards God set.

Thus, imperfection is not like a disease that scientists can examine, and call it by a name.
Imperfection is the state humans find themselves in, because of the standards (the bar, level of perfection) God the creator has set for them.
It is relative... to God. Man's view has no bearing on it.

Even sinful persons have a level or bar, to reach.
In the book of Job (Job 1:1), the Hebrew word tam is used when referring to Job. It means complete, and can be understood to mean blameless, guiltless, perfect one...
How is Job complete, perfect? From God's perspective, he is, based on the standard (the bar, the level) God set for a sinful man. It is relative.

Additionally ...
God set the bar or target for Cain. He could reach it, but he chose otherwise He missed.
One can thus be in a state of sin - missing the mark of perfection, and still have a goal or target to reach, which God sets. One could miss it deliberately, or by mistake, being in a sinful state.

Here is a little diagram to illustrate it. Hope it's not complicated.

perfection.png

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The Non-opinionated View of sin - Biblical based
This is the Biblical debates forum.

Strong's Hebrew: 2403. חַטָּאָה (chatta'ah) -- sin
chatta'ah: sin
Original Word: חַטָּאָה
Part of Speech: Noun Feminine
Transliteration: chatta'ah
Definition: sinful thing, sin

What exactly is sin?
Strong's Hebrew: 2398. חָטָא (chata) -- to miss, go wrong, sin
chata: to miss, go wrong, sin
Original Word: חָטָא
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: chata
Definition: to miss, go wrong, sin

The Hebrew word chata, mean miss, or to miss, and is translated sin.
Thus the understanding of missing a mark, or falling short of a mark or goal, going wrong, or off course - off target.

The first use of the word is found in Genesis 4:7
"If you turn to doing good, will you not be restored to favor? But if you do not turn to doing good, sin is crouching at the door, and its craving is to dominate you; but will you get the mastery over it?"

If Cain did not turn to doing good, he would not get the mastery over the sin that was lurking - missing the mark, or going wrong.
Obviously the mark had to be set, and someone needed to set it.
So this was the mark or standard of right that God set. Cain was about to miss it... if he did not turn to doing good.

So, sin is what God considers a falling short of the standard he set, whether that be the quality of life, or the activities associated with that life. (More on this later, since I have to go)

The quality of life God set at the beginning of man's creation, was perfection. (More on this later)
However, a short bit on this, which I just copied and pasted from one of my posts. (Be back later)

Perfection - A simple explanation.

Why is God absolutely perfect?
There is nothing he is lacking - He cannot be possibly better.

Now imagine that he could be better. Then he would not be perfect... in the absolute sense.
If that were the case, then it would mean there is someone or something that demands or sets requirements for perfection.

However, could he be perfect?
Let's imagine though that this someone or something - though perfect in the absolute, declares God perfect, God's perfection is relative to the someone or something.
We can think of it as someone setting a bar, and calling it "The level of perfection". The one at the level of the bar is perfect to the one who set the bar, because they cannot go beyond - they can do no better, or be no better.
Thus since there is no other, God is perfect, and sets the law of perfection.
As creator, he sets the bar for his creation. As the all powerful all wise creator, he knows what's best (just as Ford knows what his models require, and what makes them "perfect")

This is plainly seen in the Bible.
When God created Adam and Eve, in fact, everything, he declared them, "very good". Why? They could be no better than they were. Or, they were exactly as God wanted them to be. They met his standard, or requirements.
God made humans - fleshly beings - to live on earth, and with a mind to make decisions concerning what they would do, or not do (free will, or choice), which means, they could not leave the earth, and fly into space, in their natural state. They were not programmed, to do only what a programmer wired them to do.
So they were perfect... at the level of the bar God set. They could not go beyond. They could remain at that level, but they could also fall bellow.
They did.
That's where we got the term sin - to miss the mark [of perfection], or in other words, to miss the mark of God's righteous standards, or to fall short of the [reasonable] standards God set.

Thus, imperfection is not like a disease that scientists can examine, and call it by a name.
Imperfection is the state humans find themselves in, because of the standards (the bar, level of perfection) God the creator has set for them.
It is relative... to God. Man's view has no bearing on it.

Even sinful persons have a level or bar, to reach.
In the book of Job (Job 1:1), the Hebrew word tam is used when referring to Job. It means complete, and can be understood to mean blameless, guiltless, perfect one...
How is Job complete, perfect? From God's perspective, he is, based on the standard (the bar, the level) God set for a sinful man. It is relative.

Additionally ...
God set the bar or target for Cain. He could reach it, but he chose otherwise He missed.
One can thus be in a state of sin - missing the mark of perfection, and still have a goal or target to reach, which God sets. One could miss it deliberately, or by mistake, being in a sinful state.

Here is a little diagram to illustrate it. Hope it's not complicated.

View attachment 45767

Does this imply that there is an effective method for removing sin from one's life?

What's the benchmark and the test, and the proof that sin can be effectively dealt with?

How do you know that something is sin and not just some natural occurrence that people have no control over?

I do believe there is virtue and there is vice. There isn't any middle ground compromises in perfection of virtue either.

I can fathom perfection. I can fathom falling short of that as well. Some moreso than others.

I can understand that a perfect being cannot compromise with things less than perfect.

So life is about trustworthiness and knowing who you can rely on for what reasons.

I do not sense any evident presence of any such perfect being.

I can see a choice that people can make between honest living and deceitful practices.

Being new creatures who only live 1 to 100 or so years and not having a standard to look up to many millions upon millions will make their own requirements and standards, or many millions will have no standards at all.

There's nothing there to convict or guide the way back to true life. And there is no one there to show people the way.

There's many, many ways that people can find that are not perfect virtue. And they live and die never knowing of any ways better than the ones they chose.

What is the test and how does someone know the true test of the perfect way to live?

Can we generalize all people to be sinful? Vs. people that do the best they can to live the best life possible!

I don't see any way of knowing anything beyond our own existences.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why would a perfect God who is fully self-sufficient care if humans are perfect?

Do any religious believers, Christian or Baha'i, ever bother to think this through logically, or do they just BELIEVE?
Sorry, but I am not going to allow anyone to call me a sinner just because I am not perfect.... not Jesus, not even the central figures of the Baha'i Faith or other Baha'is.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How do you know that something is sin and not just some natural occurrence that people have no control over?

What is the test and how does someone know the true test of the perfect way to live?

Can we generalize all people to be sinful? Vs. people that do the best they can to live the best life possible!
Good questions osgart. :)

I do not think we can always know if is something is a sin or something we have no control over.

I do not think there is no test of a perfect way to live, and I do not think we can generalize that all people are sinful.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@ osgart

I just has to edit my post to you because it was full of typos... I am such a sinner! :rolleyes:

Or maybe It is because I was not perfect given I have a beloved cat that is barely hanging on by a thread.
Religious people have no idea of the damage they do with their beliefs and they don't even care. :(
I cannot believe that God is so lacking in mercy and compassion.

osgart

And I can walk out as fast as I walked in, or just ignore their shaming beliefs, as I won't have it.

I grew up with the shaming beliefs on one side; my father. My mother was a free spirit and paid no attention to those beliefs whatsoever.

I took after my mother. I never accepted that human nature had to be guilty of anything. However I subjected myself to that form of Christianity way too much for my own good.
And some of my other family members sided with my father.

I roll my eyes at their heaven and hell outlook all the time.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I grew up with the shaming beliefs on one side; my father. My mother was a free spirit and paid no attention to those beliefs whatsoever.

I took after my mother. I never accepted that human nature had to be guilty of anything. However I subjected myself to that form of Christianity way too much for my own good.
And some of my other family members sided with my father.

I roll my eyes at their heaven and hell outlook all the time.
I grew up with the shaming beliefs on one side; my mother. My father was a free spirit and paid no attention to those beliefs whatsoever.

Unfortunately, my father died when I was 12 yrs old and I was left with my mother.

I took after my father but was shamed by my mother. I thought I was guilty just for existing. This had nothing to do with religion since neither my mother nor my father were religious. I subjected myself to that until I finally sought help in counseling and 12 step programs. It took a long time to heal and now I refuse to go backwards. I am well aware of my character defects and I work on them, so I do not need to be called a sinner, unless I am sinning. I would hardly call waiting till I was married at 32 years old to have sex sinning. I never drank or smoked and I stay away from anyone if I think I might hurt their feelings. What am I doing that is so bad?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Does this imply that there is an effective method for removing sin from one's life?
Removing sin from one's life?
Since perfection of man, means meeting the standard of good in God's eyes, all one need to be to have sin removed, is to be as God wants man to be.
What is that?
Having the quality of life that God originated - in body, no defects (not genetically defective); in thought and deed, no inclination, or actions contrary to the standards of righteousness (from God's standpoint).

How will that come about?
Adam was created by God with the prospect of never dying. He just needed to obey God - hit the target. Don't miss. He missed... deliberately. Genesis 1-3
The reverse is made possible.
God is the one who has set the target - the goal, the bar - to reach perfection.
God forgives the one who misses the mark. He also acquits the sinner, so that one who continually obeys God - which is what Adam could have done... repeatedly hit the mark, that person will reach perfection, where their thoughts and actions line up with God's standards of righteousness - perfection. (Matthew 26:28 ; Acts 26:18 ; Romans 3:25 ; Romans 6:7)
They also have a perfect body free of defects, since they are completely healed.

When does this happen?
The Bible indicates, after the thousand years, all mankind will be perfect. (Hebrews 2:14-3:1 ; Hebrews 4:14-5:10 ; Revelation 1:6 ; Revelation 20:6)
During the thousand years, they will be there in body - (Isaiah 33:24) And no resident will say: “I am sick.” The people dwelling in the land will be pardoned for their error.

What's the benchmark and the test, and the proof that sin can be effectively dealt with?
The fact that God forgives the sinner, on the basis of the sin atoning sacrifice, which God made available for all mankind. God is the one who forgives, and declares one righteous, based on the standard set. (Romans 3:25; John 3:16, 36)

The Bible.
May I remind you, this is the 'Biblical debate forum', and not the 'Science vs Religion' forum.

I do believe there is virtue and there is vice. There isn't any middle ground compromises in perfection of virtue either.
Okay. I believe there is virtue and there is vice.
I don't understand what you mean by "middle ground compromises in perfection of virtue".
Can you elaborate please.

I can fathom perfection. I can fathom falling short of that as well. Some moreso than others.

I can understand that a perfect being cannot compromise with things less than perfect.
Cannot compromise with things less than perfect? What do you mean? I don't understand. Can you clarify... Do you mean a perfect being cannot compromise his standard of righteousness?
I am having difficulty understanding what you mean by "cannot compromise with things less than perfect". Sorry. Please elaborate.

So life is about trustworthiness and knowing who you can rely on for what reasons.

I do not sense any evident presence of any such perfect being.

I can see a choice that people can make between honest living and deceitful practices.

Being new creatures who only live 1 to 100 or so years and not having a standard to look up to many millions upon millions will make their own requirements and standards, or many millions will have no standards at all.

There's nothing there to convict or guide the way back to true life. And there is no one there to show people the way.

There's many, many ways that people can find that are not perfect virtue. And they live and die never knowing of any ways better than the ones they chose.

I don't see any way of knowing anything beyond our own existences.
All these seem to be excluding the Bible. Am I right?
Then this is the wrong forum for posting them.
If you want to discuss sin from a Biblical perspective, okay.

osgart

I grew up with the shaming beliefs on one side; my mother. My father was a free spirit and paid no attention to those beliefs whatsoever.

Unfortunately, my father died when I was 12 yrs old and I was left with my mother.

I took after my father but was shamed by my mother. I thought I was guilty just for existing. This had nothing to do with religion since neither my mother nor my father were religious. I subjected myself to that until I finally sought help in counseling and 12 step programs. It took a long time to heal and now I refuse to go backwards. I am well aware of my character defects and I work on them, so I do not need to be called a sinner, unless I am sinning. I would hardly call waiting till I was married at 32 years old to have sex sinning. I never drank or smoked and I stay away from anyone if I think I might hurt their feelings. What am I doing that is so bad?

I agree! My mother was faithful housewife, loyal caregiver to her family. She did nothing wrong her whole life. She did get pregnant before she married my father. Then had 4 more children with him. She had no regrets.

Me, I had 7 girlfriends my whole life. Never got married and never had children. I was not a perfect angel. But I never committed a crime. But I have a guilt complex for these things.

What is sin anyway? I mean I got the definition in the thread! By @nPeace. However I don't understand this whole idea of sin. I love other people just fine!

I'm no devil! I don't cheat, steal, or murder.

If we were capable of being perfect then we would be more than human. I'm created human with all its flaws.

osgart

Removing sin from one's life?
Since perfection of man, means meeting the standard of good in God's eyes, all one need to be to have sin removed, is to be as God wants man to be.
What is that?
Having the quality of life that God originated - in body, no defects (not genetically defective); in thought and deed, no inclination, or actions contrary to the standards of righteousness (from God's standpoint).

How will that come about?
Adam was created by God with the prospect of never dying. He just needed to obey God - hit the target. Don't miss. He missed... deliberately. Genesis 1-3
The reverse is made possible.
God is the one who has set the target - the goal, the bar - to reach perfection.
God forgives the one who misses the mark. He also acquits the sinner, so that one who continually obeys God - which is what Adam could have done... repeatedly hit the mark, that person will reach perfection, where their thoughts and actions line up with God's standards of righteousness - perfection. (Matthew 26:28 ; Acts 26:18 ; Romans 3:25 ; Romans 6:7)
They also have a perfect body free of defects, since they are completely healed.

When does this happen?
The Bible indicates, after the thousand years, all mankind will be perfect. (Hebrews 2:14-3:1 ; Hebrews 4:14-5:10 ; Revelation 1:6 ; Revelation 20:6)
During the thousand years, they will be there in body - (Isaiah 33:24) And no resident will say: “I am sick.” The people dwelling in the land will be pardoned for their error.

The fact that God forgives the sinner, on the basis of the sin atoning sacrifice, which God made available for all mankind. God is the one who forgives, and declares one righteous, based on the standard set. (Romans 3:25; John 3:16, 36)

The Bible.
May I remind you, this is the 'Biblical debate forum', and not the 'Science vs Religion' forum.

Okay. I believe there is virtue and there is vice.
I don't understand what you mean by "middle ground compromises in perfection of virtue".
Can you elaborate please.

Cannot compromise with things less than perfect? What do you mean? I don't understand. Can you clarify... Do you mean a perfect being cannot compromise his standard of righteousness?
I am having difficulty understanding what you mean by "cannot compromise with things less than perfect". Sorry. Please elaborate.

All these seem to be excluding the Bible. Am I right?
Then this is the wrong forum for posting them.
If you want to discuss sin from a Biblical perspective, okay.

My questions did not exclude the Bible. I mean how does the Bible itself convict the sinner, and how does the Bible heal the sinner??

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why would a perfect God who is fully self-sufficient care if humans are perfect?
The Bible says,
(Genesis 1:11, 12) ...the earth began to produce grass, seed-bearing plants and trees yielding fruit along with seed, according to their kinds. Then God saw that it was good.

(Genesis 1:16-18) 16 And God went on to make the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, and also the stars. 17 Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth 18 and to dominate by day and by night and to make a division between the light and the darkness. Then God saw that it was good.

(Genesis 1:25) . . .God went on to make the wild animals of the earth according to their kinds and the domestic animals according to their kinds and all the creeping animals of the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

(Genesis 1:27-31) 27 And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. 28 Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth.” 29 Then God said: “Here I have given to you every seed-bearing plant that is on the entire earth and every tree with seed-bearing fruit. Let them serve as food for you. 30 And to every wild animal of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving on the earth in which there is life, I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it was so. 31After that God saw everything he had made, and look! it was very good. . . .

Why does God care?
If everything was very bad, it would not be from a God who care, and I don't imagine it would be very good for man, if the moon fell to the earth, or there was no vegetation, or...
Also, we see the results of man's disobedience to God. It doesn't look very good to me, and a whole lot of people - like 90%+.
So perfection - that is, meeting the standards of God's view of what is good and right, is important to him... very important.
(Isaiah 45:18) For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.
(Psalm 115:16) As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah, But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

(Psalm 14:1, 2) 1 The foolish one says in his heart: “There is no Jehovah.” Their actions are corrupt, and their dealings are detestable; No one is doing good. 2 But Jehovah looks down from heaven on the sons of men To see whether anyone has insight, whether anyone is seeking Jehovah.
(2 Chronicles 16:9) For the eyes of Jehovah are roving about through all the earth to show his strength in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him.
(1 Peter 3:12) For the eyes of Jehovah are on the righteous, and his ears listen to their supplication, but the face of Jehovah is against those doing bad things.”

The Bible says, he cares.

Do any religious believers, Christian or Baha'i, ever bother to think this through logically, or do they just BELIEVE?
Sorry, but I am not going to allow anyone to call me a sinner just because I am not perfect.... not Jesus, not even the central figures of the Baha'i Faith or other Baha'is.
What are you trying to say, that only people with your beliefs are logical thinkers?
Many here don't even consider you to be logical. Would it surprise you i persons eve considered you fanatical?

Sin - Wikipedia
Baháʼís consider humans to be naturally good, fundamentally spiritual beings. Human beings were created because of God's immeasurable love for us. However, the Baháʼí teachings compare the human heart to a mirror, which, if turned away from the light of the sun (i.e. God), is incapable of receiving God's love. It is only by turning unto God that the spiritual advancement can be made. In this sense, "sinning" is to follow the inclinations of one's own lower nature, to turn the mirror of one's heart away from God. One of the main hindrances to spiritual development is the Baháʼí concept of the "insistent self" which is a self-serving inclination within all people. Baháʼís interpret this to be the true meaning of Satan, often referred to in the Baháʼí Writings as "the Evil One".

Watch over yourselves, for the Evil One is lying in wait, ready to entrap you. Gird yourselves against his wicked devices, and, led by the light of the name of the All-Seeing God, make your escape from the darkness that surroundeth you. — Baháʼu'lláh

Why do you believe something? Is it because it's logical, or because you believe the one who says it is infallible?
Why is it logical that human beings were created because of God's immeasurable love for us, but incapable of receiving God's love if they turn their heart from him? Did God not create them with freedom of choice? Who created the lower nature of man?

nPeace

Veteran Member
@ osgart

I just has to edit my post to you because it was full of typos... I am such a sinner! :rolleyes:

Or maybe It is because I was not perfect given I have a beloved cat that is barely hanging on by a thread.
Religious people have no idea of the damage they do with their beliefs and they don't even care. :(
I cannot believe that God is so lacking in mercy and compassion.
You're not religious?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I agree! My mother was faithful housewife, loyal caregiver to her family. She did nothing wrong her whole life.
My mother was also a faithful housewife and a loyal caregiver to the children. However, after my father died she was so grieved that she started drinking heavily so she was emotionally unavailable to the children that were left, me and my older sister. My mother was raised in the Greek Orthodox Church and even though she dropped out in early adulthood, the idea of sin probably stuck with her, and she inadvertently passed that into the children. Later after she became a Baha'i at age 60 she changed her attitudes a lot, but by then the children were grown and gone.
Me, I had 7 girlfriends my whole life. Never got married and never had children. I was not a perfect angel. But I never committed a crime. But I have a guilt complex for these things.
I think that the things that some people feel guilty about are not guiltworthy. I think that how we treat other people is the most important thing, not whether we had sex before marriage. That just happened to be something I did not want to do, but it did not come from religion.

We never had children either, another thing that is not really acceptable for married couples in the Abrahamic religions, but it would have been immoral to have children I did not want, given my own childhood experiences in being emotionally abandoned. My husband had a similar upbringing.
What is sin anyway? I mean I got the definition in the thread! By @nPeace. However I don't understand this whole idea of sin. I love other people just fine!
And that was the commandment of Jesus wasn't it, love God and your neighbor. If you love them you do not hurt people, and that is why you don't steal, cheat or murder.
If we were capable of being perfect then we would be more than human. I'm created human with all its flaws.
That is so true, truer than true. If God had wanted us to be perfect, He should not have created us with a human nature that is capable of imperfection. That is why I do not abide by Christian beliefs regarding sin being anything less than perfect. At least Baha'is do not have that belief. All we are taught is to strive for perfection, we know we will never attain it...

nPeace

Veteran Member
I agree! My mother was faithful housewife, loyal caregiver to her family. She did nothing wrong her whole life. She did get pregnant before she married my father. Then had 4 more children with him. She had no regrets.

Do you believe there is a God?
How do you know what God expects from you, if anything?
Or do you determine that you are good, regardless of God?

I can understand a person who says there is no God, and they are their own God, but I can't understand a person who claims to believe there is a God, but they don't need to know that God, and claim they can't.
Can you explain that for me? I'll really like to understand how that works.