• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin?

What actually is it?

• Total voters

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I'm gonna allow multiple answers.
IMO:
Sin is a man-made concept to control others, by using fear and guilt-feeling.
Adding God to the picture worked miracles in those days, for there was a lot of superstition.
And no Google to check if "sin" was real or just another hoax

dianaiad

I post to another forum that is not only religious, it's VERY evangelical. It will not allow Mormons to use 'Christian" avatars or even claim to BE Christian. Try it and one gets moderated and eventually kicked off.

The sig file I use is this:

My opinions are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the exact doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. If you are not a member, your opinions are even less likely to represent the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. Just sayin'.

That's my sig file. Pay attention. What it means to YOU is this: Kanye West, as much as I admire his new approach to life, is not the expert on Mormonism you should go to. In fact, he's not the authority to use to determine what anybody on the earth should believe, save him. It doesn't MATTER what YOU think the 'law' is. He could even be right about it. It doesn't matter what you think, or I think....and as far as the ten commandments and the rest of the law goes, I agree with it.

but I KNOW about it, you see, and I believe that God wants me to obey those laws. If I disobey, then I am sinning. My point is about those who DO NOT KNOW the law...and there are plenty of those. YOU might want to read the bible about that; the verses were posted just yesterday, I believe...something about those who die without the law (not knowing it or having been taught it) are not bound by the law? that if they happen to obey the precepts by coincidence, they are a 'law unto themselves,' and are judged accordingly?

My point is, if you don't know God's law, you are not bound by it. If you DO know it, and believe it, then you are bound by it. You will live a happier life if you DO know the law and what God expects, because (take a good look at the Ten Commandments and the rest of the NT Law as Christ gave it) it's all about how one treats others; fairly and well. If you live in a society where everybody knows and understands the law and the purposes behind it, everybody is better off. Including you.

But Kanye West is not my 'go to' guy for learning stuff, no matter how good I might think his songs are.

Bird123

I think that's crap. You don't have to obey the church at all. You don't have to obey anyone in fact. But you didn't read the Bible carefully (probably because it's so long) . Basically, much of the Bible is about the Jews as an example people.

In the beginning, there were the first people. They decided rather than see the world as a mixed bag, to start labeling everything "good" and "evil". This duality thinking led to jealousy and greed. Fast forward a few years, and we have people trying to build a tower to the sky. Interestingly, I've read at least one article that proposed that thid time period actually wasn't like we think, and it was actually closer to a space station that was being built. Also that around the time of Joseph, the reason for the seven year famine wad nuclear winter. I mean, at least it's entertaining?
The First Global Nuclear War and a Coverup of historical proportions...
Anyway, the time around Noah was a horrible time to live. And humans were having to search for answers because we were this close to wiping everything out. Abraham had come before that, so Noah and his familt kept this tradition, but they were basically a small line of people who survived in a ship (spaceship?) and mixed with the survivors. if you study world religion, you find that in fact there wasn't just one ark, that thid happened around the world. So anyway, humanity picked up the pieces, and started over. The Jews found that when they lived according to their traditions, they mostly did okay. When they embraced the cultures of other people... (multiculturalism is not a good thing in this story, we'll say). This was true about 80% of their history. Of course, there were also writings about how God "does not delight in burnt offerings" so I imagine at certain points, just keeping tradition isn't the answer either.

We go to church not because of rules but because of connection. Because it makes us feel a part of something. There is nothing requiring you to go to a specific temple. In fact, you can probably get the same experience out of social clubs, if the people are friendly and such. To some extent anyway.

The thing about your mentality is, it's based on thinking that all there is to sin is rules, and that it's a label to justify these rules. But the best refute to that is the book of Ecclesiastes. This is, presumably Solomon, who decides to grab everything life has to offer except God (and we're defining God here not as his role as Creator, but in terms of meaningful relationships), planting a vineyard, studying all sorts of knowledge, probably having meaningless sex, and so on. He gets depressed. Very depressed. And he sort of sounds like Frodo at Mount Doom, not being about to remember the Shire, the taste of food, or the feel of the wind.
But Solomon snaps out of it and concludes that stuff like enjoying your life with your wife and family, doing whatever you do with your whole heart, and having God is in this equation (he says nothing about laws here, just relationships) makes it slightly more meaningful.

I've actually lived alot like this guy, actually. Played every video game I found, watched a ton of anime and films, gone on a date or two, researched online and read books, and really the most interesting times I ever had were when I was around other people. But despite me actually wanting to live a better life, I found that I would far more be benefited if I were actually able to go out and be around other people (introversion kinda sucks as does severe depression).

And then there's Tangled. Rapunzel, does everything from painting, to reading, to some serious arts and crafts, but she asks "when will my life begin?" Her problem isn't with not obeying. In fact, obeying her "mom" is the problem. Her problem is with disconnection. Also, I wanted an excuse to do Tangled videos. So there.

Which is why I've added "not living life fully" to my definition.

You are right. One has the choice not to obey. On the other hand that does not prevent others or religion choosing to label one as sinning or a sinner based on their definition. How many are hurt by this? Is this really the Best Choice? I think not!!

Mankind is a controlling lot. It can be seen in religion and all over the world. Diversity is a strength. God gave everyone a different view to guaranty mankind a larger view than any one person could have. Still, people and society push toward conformity. Everybody wants to rule the world. Well, at least many do.

Religious stories might supply one entertainment, however one must live in reality over living in a belief world of stories. There is no evidence of a nuclear problem which caused the people of the world to escape in space ships. There is no evidence of advanced technology from that ancient time. There is no evidence of the ark. It's all stories.

I understand the need to have stories and good storytellers to provide an escape and entertainment, however Life is about Living. Isn't it important to live in reality?

Interaction is part of God's learning system. If one attempts to avoid interaction, God has a fix within the system. One gets lonely. It's a way to prevent people from avoiding the issues at hand.

Parents are important to raise and take care of children especially when children are unable to do it themselves. Yes, it is important children choose to respect their parents. On the other hand, one is always supposed to advance beyond the sum of their teachings. It is important one makes one's own choices in life. It's far too important to allow others to make all your choices for you. Life's lessons are best learned when one is choosing freely.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!