• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin?

What actually is it?

• Total voters

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Sin gets mentioned in the Bible, and in a couple other books of faith, I imagine. But the problem is, it is very poorly defined. So, I'm gonna put it to a poll.

I'm gonna allow multiple answers.

Personally, I used to believe sin is separation from God, but I now know nothing can separate us from God. What can happen is a sense of distorted good/evil, and the inability to see Grace.

So basically the two below that.

I do not believe in Original Sin. But I do think Knowing Good and Evil create sins that aren't real.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sin gets mentioned in the Bible, and in a couple other books of faith, I imagine. But the problem is, it is very poorly defined. So, I'm gonna put it to a poll.

Personally, I used to believe sin is separation from God, but I now know nothing can separate us from God. What can happen is a sense of distorted good/evil, and the inability to see Grace.

I do not believe in Original Sin. But I do think Knowing Good and Evil create sins that aren't real.

All the things listed in the poll separates one from god except the last. According to christian faith, sin is separation from god. For me personally, it has no place in my life.

Ayjaydee

"Sin" or unskillfull or unwholesome acts leading to suffering

Galateasdream

Sin is doing stuff contrary to moral reality grounded in God's moral nature - ie, doing bad things (or for bad reasons etc).

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sin is a completely made-up imaginary crisis. There's really no such thing other than people running around thinking there is.

epronovost

Sin is commonly defined as a religious transgression so it can be fairly varied and range from blasphemy, the breach of a variety of rules or religious laws and practices passing by lack of faith in a particular creed.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sin is just a silly concept to force shame and guilt upon people where there should be none. Like having consensual sex. Or enjoying fantasies and day dreams too much. Or the death of an alleged person who would have died about 2000 years ago.

Iymus

1Jn 3:4 KJV Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Jas 1:14 KJV But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 KJV Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Further insight to be gained in studies.

dianaiad

I think that 'sin' is doing something one believes to be wrong, according to the faith/philosophy one claims to live by. Therefore 'sin' can be subjective. It is VERY personal.

For instance; awhile back, Catholics were not allowed to eat meat on Friday, only fish. Even now some Christians make promises for lent; to do, or abstain from doing, something during that time that would ordinarily be fine any other time of the year, or if they had not promised. Well then, for THEM, eating meat on Friday is sinful. If they had promised to, say, abstain from smoking during lent, then smoking would be a sin...as well as being stupid (not the same thing).

In my faith, we are supposed to fast for 24 hours, or two meals, on the first Sunday of the month. So, unless it isn't healthy to do so, if I do not fast, I'm sinning. If you don't believe in fasting once a month, then it's not a sin if you don't.

So 'a sin' is to do, or fail to do, something one believes God expects of you...or something you expect of yourself. So atheists can sin too. All that is required is an expectation of what a 'good person' should do...and a violation of that expectation.

One cannot confuse secular law with 'sin.' It's quite possible to break the law and not sin...for instance, breaking the speed limit to get one's pregnant wife to the hospital might be dumb, but probably not sinful. If one is a pagan islander who figures that killing and eating one's enemies is honorable, and does so in spite of laws against it, it's not sinful...just unlawful. There are many people who have been jailed for things they did not consider to be sins.

And lots of people who go merrily sinning their way through life by only doing legal things.

Anyway, that's my view and I'm sticking to it. The issue then is not to condemn others for being horrible sinners....especially when in their own views and belief systems they aren't, but to see if you can change their minds to agree with you about what 'sin' is. I do not believe that God is going to condemn anybody for committing 'sins' that they don't KNOW are sins.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I like this poem that Dan Ladinsky created from a Hafiz poem

If someone sits with me
And we talk about the Beloved

If I cannot give his heart comfort,
If I cannot make him feel better
About himself and this world,

Then Hafiz,
Quickly run to the mosque and pray—

For you have just committed
The only sin I know.

Galateasdream

And what is God's moral nature exactly?

Moral perfection, wholly virtuous and omnibenevolent.
Of course, exactly what that means on specific issues and details will take us forever to work out. Though we can make some educated assessments as we go, like torturing infants for fun is wrong etc.

Ayjaydee

Of course, exactly what that means on specific issues and details will take us forever to work out. Though we can make some educated assessments as we go, like torturing infants for fun is wrong etc.
I didnt need an educated assessment for that one

BSM1

What? Me worry?

But aren't all these concepts man made?

Galateasdream

But aren't all these concepts man made?

Not if they are instantiated in reality.
I mean, the concept of gravity or the number 2 is man made ... but also reflects or describes something that exists outside of the human conceptual framework.

If moral reality exists then it exists.
Whether it does or not is an open question.