• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin of Denominationalism

Grandliseur

Today our society is filled with many "churches". Many uninspired men have started their own churches and put their own twist to it. Considering 1 Corinthians 1:10-17, this is wrong. Thoughts on the matter?
Jesus told us that in the time before his coming this would be the case. There is no stopping it and there is no agreements on many issues. The thing is, in many churches, it is "believe as we do, or be disassociated, even shunned." And, this is when I - a believer, a kind of fundamentalist - disagree. I, who also take the entire Bible as being inspired.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Obviously, Jesus Christ intended that there be only one Church, not thousands, all teaching different doctrines. So what do you propose we should do about it?

Actually Jesus only approves of 2 types of churches. The Church of Smyrna and the The Church of Philadelphia. So as long as they teach these doctrines they are fine with Jesus.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Today our society is filled with many "churches". Many uninspired men have started their own churches and put their own twist to it. Considering 1 Corinthians 1:10-17, this is wrong. Thoughts on the matter?

Awesome post. I’ve been reading that exact quote again and again over the past few days and I agree in view of what the Bible says it’s pure sin. Disunity is a disease. All should be united in be of one Faith as a family.

God is our Father and all us humans are His children so no matter what religion or belief we have, humankind should all be as one family. I think that’s what Corinthians is saying and what God ultimately wants and expects of us if we truly love Him.

2ndpillar

Considering that the writer of 1 Cor 1:10-17 is the base cause of division, him being “all things to all men” (1 Cor 9:22), and the father of politicians, and the mouthpiece of the “serpent” , whose message was you surely shall not die, rephrased as you shall be changed in a blink of an eye, and wrapped in the package of the false gospel of the cross (1 Cor 1:17). According to Ezekiel 34, those churches and their leaders will be removed come the "day of the LORD", which is a day of judgment of the "male goats" (Ez 34:17).

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers
To the extent that secularization and Human Rights represent "love", and "modern Christian love" in particular, the Freedom of Religion or Not represents a vital principle. I am an interfaith humanist Christian Unitarian Universalist, and am critical of what secularization has come to mean. I am evaluating my advocacy of ethics and the benefits people derive from prayer and meditation.

GreenpeaceRECo-operative

Darwin and others missed George Fox of the Quakers
To complete comment #26 (too bad there is no "edit" feature!), denomination formation supports the culture-wide learning process of the meaning of the love Jesus taught. That includes the greatest unsung and disguised Church of all, the meta-Christian modern Universities.

Phantasman

Paul is not the only one who spoke of division. Jesus spoke of it as well as John. It is clear that the apostles and Jesus were in accordance. It was not Paul's wishes that their be no division. It was Jesus's. He built one church as it states in Matthew 16:18. Paul was just following what Jesus said.
Paul says his knowledge came through the Spirit, not of any man, including the disciples.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.- Galatians

The only division the gospel teaches is what the Jews were following and where the Spirit is leading.

Paul says his knowledge came through the Spirit, not of any man, including the disciples.

For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.- Galatians

The only division the gospel teaches is what the Jews were following and where the Spirit is leading.
Exactly.. no division. When I said Paul was following what Jesus said, I was explaining how 1 Corinthians 1 and Matthew 16 connected.

Awesome post. I’ve been reading that exact quote again and again over the past few days and I agree in view of what the Bible says it’s pure sin. Disunity is a disease. All should be united in be of one Faith as a family.

God is our Father and all us humans are His children so no matter what religion or belief we have, humankind should all be as one family. I think that’s what Corinthians is saying and what God ultimately wants and expects of us if we truly love Him.
Well the writer in Corinthians was referring to unity under Jesus.

Scott C.

Just one guy

It's wrong to put our own unispired twist on the scriptures. But, many devout Christians over the centuries have studied the Bible and come to different conclusions on all kinds of important issues such as the Trinity, the relationship between faith and works, the role of the Holy Spirit, the need for baptism, the need for any other sacraments, the role of priesthood, pre-destination, what is heaven, what is hell, what are the coomandments, what does it mean to obey God, what does it mean to be saved, what is required to be saved, can one fall from grace, and on and on. Hence we have lots of denominations.

The Mormon Church certainly has teachings that address this subject, that account for the many denominations and that account for it's own existence. (That could be a very lengthy discussion in many separate threads).

But Christianity broke from Judaism. Division was part of the original setup. Besides, "the eye cannot say to the hand, I don't need you." Diversity is necessary in the church body or else everyone misses vital parts of the experience.
But Christianity broke from Judaism. Division was part of the original setup. Besides, "the eye cannot say to the hand, I don't need you." Diversity is necessary in the church body or else everyone misses vital parts of the experience.
Division was not part of the setup. Christianity is not a form of Judaism. Its separate. The Bible does not support the idea of division. Many accounts in scripture speak of complete unity all aspects. Division in doctrine and method of salvation and worship is strictly condemned. Ephesians 4:4-7, 1 Timothy 6:3, 2 Timothy 4:3-4, Romans 16:17-18

Last edited:
It's wrong to put our own unispired twist on the scriptures. But, many devout Christians over the centuries have studied the Bible and come to different conclusions on all kinds of important issues such as the Trinity, the relationship between faith and works, the role of the Holy Spirit, the need for baptism, the need for any other sacraments, the role of priesthood, pre-destination, what is heaven, what is hell, what are the coomandments, what does it mean to obey God, what does it mean to be saved, what is required to be saved, can one fall from grace, and on and on. Hence we have lots of denominations.

The Mormon Church certainly has teachings that address this subject, that account for the many denominations and that account for it's own existence. (That could be a very lengthy discussion in many separate threads).
The Bible is clear on all of these matters. Men "coming to different conclusions" poses a problem. The Bible is clear that we are to come to one conclusion especially on matter of salvation, worship, etc. Romans 16:17-18. The early church agreed that we were to follow one truth. When we see division on certain topics it is because someone is misinformed on scripture or they are not willing to see the truth. Scripture is clear. We just need to be willing to look for the truth. John 8:32

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Bible is clear on all of these matters. Men "coming to different conclusions" poses a problem. The Bible is clear that we are to come to one conclusion especially on matter of salvation, worship, etc. Romans 16:17-18. The early church agreed that we were to follow one truth. When we see division on certain topics it is because someone is misinformed on scripture or they are not willing to see the truth. Scripture is clear. We just need to be willing to look for the truth. John 8:32
If scripture is "clear," then why do we have so many legitimate differences as to what it is saying? You have to stop and think that most of the people you are passing judgment on are, in fact, willing to look for the truth. You believe you have found it, but so do so many other people who believe differently from you. You're not the only one who has a sincere heart and a genuine desire to believe what is true. You're 17. When you're four times as old as you are right now, you may have come to realize this.

Scott C.

Just one guy

Yes and there are millions of Christians, from many denominations, who believe the Bible is clear, that there is one truth, and that they see that one truth. Yet in many cases their views contradict the views of other equallly certain Christians. Many of them quote chapter and verse from the Bible, claim that their interpretation is the one truth, and claim that the opposing interpretation is uninspired. Is there a denomination which you believe gets it right more than the rest?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
To complete comment #26 (too bad there is no "edit" feature!), denomination formation supports the culture-wide learning process of the meaning of the love Jesus taught. That includes the greatest unsung and disguised Church of all, the meta-Christian modern Universities.
You can edit your posts. Bottom left.

If scripture is "clear," then why do we have so many legitimate differences as to what it is saying? You have to stop and think that most of the people you are passing judgment on are, in fact, willing to look for the truth. You believe you have found it, but so do so many other people who believe differently from you. You're not the only one who has a sincere heart and a genuine desire to believe what is true. You're 17. When you're four times as old as you are right now, you may have come to realize this.
My age is besides the point. The Bible can be understood on an elementary level. It boils down to being able to objectively see the truth. The scriptures are clear on matter that are needful for one to be saved. The scriptures clearly state how one is saved, how one is to worship, if one is able to fall from grace, etc, but we still have false information floating around. John 8:31-32 says we are able to know the truth. If Jesus says that we are able to know the truth, then I believe him. Because the truth has been twisted and confused, many will be lost. Matthew 5:13-14. The point is that when people are presented with scripture that contradicts their point, they turn a blind eye I have no doubt that people are sincere, but it doesn't mean that will be saved if they are wrong Matthew 7:21-22. I am not being harsh, I am just trying to spread the truth on the matter. I have done extensive study and want to help other find the truth! 2 Timothy 4:3-4 I am allowed to judge if the scriptures support my argument. John 7:24