• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sin in the flesh

LightofTruth

Is "sin in the flesh" the same as "lust in the flesh"?

I think it is, but I welcome anyone who can explain that it isn't.

LightofTruth

and what is "in the flesh"?

Try using English less than 400 years out of date.
If we say "the word was made flesh", then.it means the word became a human. In other words, "the word" partook of human flesh. He did not take on the flesh of birds or any other creature, including angels, but partook of the flesh of man.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Can you provide a source for these expressions?

Without some context it is not easy to understand what you are referring to. I cannot recall anything about this coming from the gospels, though I may have overlooked it. (I have asked this already today, when you brought the same thing up in the thread on atonement.)

LightofTruth

Can you provide a source for these expressions?

Without some context it is not easy to understand what you are referring to. I cannot recall anything about this coming from the gospels, though I may have overlooked it. (I have asked this already today, when you brought the same thing up in the thread on atonement.)
Can you explain how "sin in the flesh" is different than "lust in the flesh"?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

If used as an idiom or metaphor (whichever is appropriate). "Sin of the flesh" would be the body rather than spirit. So, a christian's spirit is ideally pure because they have been "washed clean". The flesh and spirit fight among each other and they feel consumed by the flesh insofar to define themselves by it.

As for lust, I'd see that more of an addiction. Someone can choose to murder; that isn't lust. If someone was pulled to murder, you can say that's "lust of the flesh."

That, or it could be another word for "sins of the flesh." Either or, sin or lust, it's flesh driven. They are interrelated.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Can you explain how "sin in the flesh" is different than "lust in the flesh"?
Not unless you provide some context. I do not know these terms. Where do you get them from?

This is now the 3rd time I have asked. Have you made them up? Or do you get from the bible? If so, where from, please? Or are they from some other piece of Christian doctrine you have picked up?
If so, what?

Audie

Veteran Member
If we say "the word was made flesh", then.it means the word became a human. In other words, "the word" partook of human flesh. He did not take on the flesh of birds or any other creature, including angels, but partook of the flesh of man.

Nobody other than maybe Queen Elizabeth says
"partook of".

Can you write in normal words with recognized meaning???

I didnt even ask about "word made flesh"

I asked what does IN THE FLESH mean.
And I asked what it means in vocab newer than
400 years. Can you do that?
If not you've no idea what you are talking about.

LightofTruth

Not unless you provide some context. I do not know these terms. Where do you get them from?

This is now the 3rd time I have asked. Have you made them up? Or do you get from the bible? If so, where from, please? Or are they from some other piece of Christian doctrine you have picked up?
If so, what?
I'll ask you another way. Does sin dwell in the flesh of man?

For example, the Apostles says: "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

The apostle says that "In my flesh dwells no good thing" . What could that possibly mean if not that sin dwells in his flesh?

Audie

Veteran Member

For example, the Apostles says: "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

The apostle says that "In my flesh dwells no good thing" . What could that possibly mean if not that sin dwells in his flesh?

You are just making it worse.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Why can you not give me any reference or source for these terms? I am not going to speculate what something taken out of its context, or even perhaps invented by you, may or may not mean.

I am beginning to think you may have some twisted notion in your head, probably to do with sex. So I really want to avoid saying anything, until we know what source, biblical or otherwise, you are thinking of. To me, "sin in the flesh" is fairly meaningless, as it stands.

You challenged me, in the other thread, whether I read my bible and I said I did not recollect this language from the gospels. If I google "sin in the flesh" I get nothing. I am wondering now if you yourself read your bible.

Last edited:

LightofTruth

Nobody other than maybe Queen Elizabeth says
"partook of".

Can you write in normal words with recognized meaning???

I didnt even ask about "word made flesh"

I asked what does IN THE FLESH mean.
And I asked what it means in vocab newer than
400 years. Can you do that?
If not you've no idea what you are talking about.
"partook of" simply means that Jesus took on the same flesh as the rest of us. It means that he "shared the same flesh" as his brethren.

LightofTruth

Why can you not give me any reference or source for these terms? I am not going to speculate what something taken out of its context, or even perhaps invented by you, may or may not mean.

I am beginning to think you may have some twisted notion in your head, probably to do with sex. So I really want to avoid saying anything, until we know what source, biblical or otherwise, you are thinking of. To me, "sin in the flesh" is fairly meaningless, as it stands.
I have been giving you the source for these terms. Why blame me if you don't know Scripture?

"Sin in the flesh" comes directly from Scripture. So does "lust of the flesh".

If you don't know Scripture then you know nothing.

Audie

Veteran Member
"partook of" simply means that Jesus took on the same flesh as the rest of us. It means that he "shared the same flesh" as his brethren.

weird. but you never did say what "in the flesh" is supposed to mean,
which has been my q.

Can you try to talk in normal talk? Nobody talks like

"took on the same flesh". Why the obscurantism with
400 yr old English?????

FYI, "partake" means
eat or drink
or
take part in an activity.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have been giving you the source for these terms. Why blame me if you don't know Scripture?

You, however, cannot tell me WHERE in scripture these phrases come from, apparently.

So evidently you do not know your way around the bible very well yourself.

Provide the scripture reference, or this discussion is over.

Audie

Veteran Member

If you do not know how to explain your terms you know less than
nothing.

exchemist

Veteran Member
weird. but you never did say what "in the flesh" is supposed to mean,
which has been my q.

Can you try to talk in normal talk? Nobody talks like

"took on the same flesh". Why the obscurantism with
400 yr old English?????

FYI, "partake" means
eat or drink
or
take part in an activity.
I've asked several times for chapter and verse and this person just prevaricates and accuses me of not knowing the bible. So clearly he or she has no idea where in the bible to find it either! It sounds to me garbled (and by the way creepy and possibly to do with sex, in some unpleasant way). I'm starting to have doubts about this poster.

74x12

The scripture puts it this way:

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (James 1:15)

So sin is the result of lust.
Lust means desire.

Audie

Veteran Member
I've asked several times for chapter and verse and this person just prevaricates and accuses me of not knowing the bible. So clearly he or she has no idea where in the bible to find it either! It sounds to me garbled (and by the way creepy and possibly to do with sex, in some unpleasant way). I'm starting to have doubts about this poster.

Say, you is a beginner!

Audie

Veteran Member
The scripture puts it this way:

Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. (James 1:15)

So sin is the result of lust.
Lust means desire.

Are you yet another who cannot explain things
in language less than 400 years out of date?