• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sin Against the Holy Spirit

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
We don't need any expectations. To forgive, is to be forgiven. That's what it means to "live by the Spirit".

So if god forgives you, you in turn forgive god?
They are inseparable?

If I forgive someone for harming me, that's fine. If I felt he forgave me because I forgave him, that isn't true in itself-he had no role in it (forgiveness is an action not a feeling of being forgiven).

The person who forgives who thinks they are forgiven because of it, that's fine. It's just a feeling of faith (hope that one has been forgiven). But it's the act of forgiveness of the other that makes it so not the feeling of the original person (say myself above) who forgave. I'd assume the actual act of forgiveness would be more substantial I guess than the feeling of receiving it.

It doesn't. They reject forgiveness as a value, because they've rejected their sins as being sins. They consider their own sins, virtues. So forgiveness is irrelevant.

Many people, if not most, know they have sinned. They believe they don't need forgives and don't (and shouldn't) expect it from others who harmed them. They reject anyone who forgives them because they have not said nor believe that other people can do so. So, that person who forgives is overstepping his or her boundaries thinking someone needs something the other says he does not need.

It's not rejection of forgiveness but rejection of someone who forgives them because the former does not need to be forgiven regardless how much the latter thinks he should.

It's like rejecting a gift one doesn't need and never asked for. Only believers say they need it but it's not their place to say.

I think you've misunderstood. The Bible says that as we forgive others, so we are forgiven.

It's talking about forgiveness is a state of being. This does not depend on anyone else's choices or actions.

And by contrast, when we choose to reject the "Holy Spirit" (the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity) we are rejecting forgiveness for others and for ourselves.

And this is how can become "unforgivable" (as well as unlovable, and unkind, and self-obsessed).

We can only do it to ourselves, by rejecting the spirit of good, and of healing. No one else can do this to us. Nor can we deny the Spirit to others.

Forgiveness as a state of being? I would think it's an action from the charity we have within us. We forgive "because" we have charity and humility to do so.

Rejecting makes it sound like it's the fault of the person who says they don't need forgiveness by someone else. Their love and kindness comes from when they forgive themselves not forgiven by others. They may reject the concept of the holy spirit but not the context in which you are talking about.

We can reject the spirit of good and kindness within ourselves.

Why does one need to be forgiven by the holy spirit (something outside themselves) when kindness and goodness comes from within?...Kindness and goodness brings out the act of forgiving oneself and others. We don't need the holy spirit to forgive because we already have the means to forgive we just need to do it.

I don't see how this has to do with someone else forgiving us for our sins since we do know that we sin we just know we don't need someone else to forgive us for it.

Aka. We know that we reject good when we sin, but we also know that we forgive ourselves for that rejection and thus experience goodness "without" needing other people to do the forgiving for us.

PureX

Veteran Member
So if god forgives you, you in turn forgive god?
They are inseparable?

If I forgive someone for harming me, that's fine. If I felt he forgave me because I forgave him, that isn't true in itself-he had no role in it (forgiveness is an action not a feeling of being forgiven).

The person who forgives who thinks they are forgiven because of it, that's fine. It's just a feeling of faith (hope that one has been forgiven). But it's the act of forgiveness of the other that makes it so not the feeling of the original person (say myself above) who forgave. I'd assume the actual act of forgiveness would be more substantial I guess than the feeling of receiving it.
It's about 'embodying forgiveness' (embodying the Spirit). Once one does this, all is forgiven. It's an 'inside job'. Not dependent on what others do or do not do. And God has already forgiven us all, regardless. (According to Christianity.) So the only way we can fail, now, is to reject that gift.
Many people, if not most, know they have sinned. They believe they don't need forgives and don't (and shouldn't) expect it from others who harmed them. They reject anyone who forgives them because they have not said nor believe that other people can do so. So, that person who forgives is overstepping his or her boundaries thinking someone needs something the other says he does not need.
They are quite confused, it seems to me. Forgiveness is a choice. Both for others, and for ourselves. It does not require anyone else's consent. All it requires is that we know we have done wrong, and will continue to do wrong even though we don't want to, and try not to. And that we are forgiven for this, as we forgive others for it. And as God has forgiven us. (Again, this is the Christian perspective.)

It's not rejection of forgiveness but rejection of someone who forgives them because the former does not need to be forgiven regardless how much the latter thinks he should.

It's like rejecting a gift one doesn't need and never asked for. Only believers say they need it but it's not their place to say.
Yes, the failure is in wrongly assuming that one does no wrong (in living selfishly), and therefor needs no forgiveness, nor has any reason to forgive anyone else. Such a person is blind to the reality of his own (sinful) condition, and has rejected the divine grace being offered to him, that would save him from himself.
Forgiveness as a state of being? I would think it's an action from the charity we have within us. We forgive "because" we have charity and humility to do so.
That "divine" spirit within us is what Christians call the "holy spirit". And when we recognize it, and set our own selfish desires aside so as to allow ourselves to become the living embodiment of that 'holy spirit', we become like Christ. Christ was the human embodiment of God's divine spirit. And that's what Christians are supposed to be trying to become. Christianity is all about recognizing that divine spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity that is within us, and allowing it to 'become us' so as to heal us and save us from ourselves, and to help us help others to do the same.
Rejecting makes it sound like it's the fault of the person who says they don't need forgiveness by someone else.
It is. Because they're wrong. We all have harmed others due to our own ignorance and selfishness. Just as we all have been harmed by the ignorance and selfishness of others. And we all need forgiveness as a result. That forgiveness has been given to us, by God, and is now ours to have and to share. All we have to do is accept it, and share it. This does not require anyone else's consent, or cooperation.
Their love and kindness comes from when they forgive themselves not forgiven by others. They may reject the concept of the holy spirit but not the context in which you are talking about.
The "holy spirit" is the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity that we all have within us. Arguing over what to call it is irrelevant. Call it "Bob" if you want to. Or just call it "Agape". It doesn't matter what you call it. What matters is that you recognize it within you, and that you choose to allow it to become you (to control your thoughts and actions, instead of the fear, and selfishness, jealousy, and so on that also exists within us all, as human beings).
We can reject the spirit of good and kindness within ourselves.
Yes, we can. Because we have been given the ability to choose for ourselves who are, and who we will become.
Why does one need to be forgiven by the holy spirit (something outside themselves) when kindness and goodness comes from within?...Kindness and goodness brings out the act of forgiving oneself and others. We don't need the holy spirit to forgive because we already have the means to forgive we just need to do it.
The "holy spirit" is not outside of the self. It is God's spirit within mankind.
I don't see how this has to do with someone else forgiving us for our sins since we do know that we sin we just know we don't need someone else to forgive us for it.
We need forgiveness for what we do and have done to others. We can get that forgiveness by forgiving others for what they've done and do to us. That's all there is to it. You seem to be hung up on the idea that others have to consent to this forgiveness. They don't.
Aka. We know that we reject good when we sin, but we also know that we forgive ourselves for that rejection and thus experience goodness "without" needing other people to do the forgiving for us.
Only if we are sincerely trying NOT to sin against anyone. We will fail, but so long as we are trying, and we are willing to forgive others for their failures, we can trust that we will be forgiven for our failures, in turn. And this does not depend on the consent of those we have sinned against.

Zaha Torte

why is the sin against the holy spirit unforgivable?

omnipresence?

pantheistic?

It is my understanding that the sin against the Hoy Ghost is to deny something after you have received an undeniable witness that it is true.

It would be like seeing and speaking with the Lord personally - and then afterwards living contrary to whatever the Lord told you to do.

It is my belief that very very very very few people will ever be guilty of committing this sin.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's about 'embodying forgiveness' (embodying the Spirit). Once one does this, all is forgiven. It's an 'inside job'. Not dependent on what others do or do not do. And God has already forgiven us all, regardless. (According to Christianity.) So the only way we can fail, now, is to reject that gift.

What does forgiveness feel like if it's not the act of forgiving?

What's the difference between that feeling and say love or compassion?

As for rejecting, people are only rejecting the christian view of forgiveness (christ/sacrifice/blood/creator/etc) not forgiveness itself.

They are quite confused, it seems to me. Forgiveness is a choice. Both for others, and for ourselves. It does not require anyone else's consent. All it requires is that we know we have done wrong, and will continue to do wrong even though we don't want to, and try not to. And that we are forgiven for this, as we forgive others for it. And as God has forgiven us. (Again, this is the Christian perspective.)

When you say others are wrong, I put you in the same spot that you could be wrong too. So, it's hard to differentiate who is wrong and who isn't since we all have the ability to be confused over things.

The problem with non-believers isn't forgiven and feeling they need to be forgiven, it's the belief in god and the christian perspective in order to achieve this. Each person has their own views and practices of forgiveness. Why do christians need to think other people are wrong?

Yes, the failure is in wrongly assuming that one does no wrong (in living selfishly), and therefor needs no forgiveness, nor has any reason to forgive anyone else. Such a person is blind to the reality of his own (sinful) condition, and has rejected the divine grace being offered to him, that would save him from himself.

They don't need to be forgiven by god not forgiveness in general.

You may be blind too--judging other people again. Hard to find the point when you consider people blind rather than just different.

That "divine" spirit within us is what Christians call the "holy spirit". And when we recognize it, and set our own selfish desires aside so as to allow ourselves to become the living embodiment of that 'holy spirit', we become like Christ. Christ was the human embodiment of God's divine spirit. And that's what Christians are supposed to be trying to become. Christianity is all about recognizing that divine spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity that is within us, and allowing it to 'become us' so as to heal us and save us from ourselves, and to help us help others to do the same.

It's good that these things aren't owned by the christian faith.

It is. Because they're wrong. We all have harmed others due to our own ignorance and selfishness. Just as we all have been harmed by the ignorance and selfishness of others. And we all need forgiveness as a result. That forgiveness has been given to us, by God, and is now ours to have and to share. All we have to do is accept it, and share it. This does not require anyone else's consent, or cooperation.

I don't understand how they are wrong for not needing to ask "other people" for forgiveness. Why can't they forgive themselves?

This right/wrong isn't helping here. I know people are ignorant of your belief, but that doesn't mean they are wrong in general. I don't know how you benefit spiritually from that type of thinking.

The "holy spirit" is the spirit of love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity that we all have within us. Arguing over what to call it is irrelevant. Call it "Bob" if you want to. Or just call it "Agape". It doesn't matter what you call it. What matters is that you recognize it within you, and that you choose to allow it to become you (to control your thoughts and actions, instead of the fear, and selfishness, jealousy, and so on that also exists within us all, as human beings).

Bob and John were referring to people (person and god being) not the embodiment of the holy spirit. I gave them names to understand the Hellbound's analogy.

Yes, we can. Because we have been given the ability to choose for ourselves who are, and who we will become.

Where we part is my comment has no god component to it.

The "holy spirit" is not outside of the self. It is God's spirit within mankind.

Kindness and love are in all of man kind and many people know this with and without god. So, obviously, there needs to be something outside (creator so have you) that christians look to.

How do you tell the difference between "christian" goodness from the holy spirit and the goodness, from say, a Pagan religion or Eastern view?

Without scripture, how do you make difference between from the feeling of goodness?

We need forgiveness for what we do and have done to others. We can get that forgiveness by forgiving others for what they've done and do to us. That's all there is to it. You seem to be hung up on the idea that others have to consent to this forgiveness. They don't.

I understand forgiving others. I don't understand why you need and expect someone (say god) to forgive you.

I'm hung up on asking for forgiveness when it's up to the other person to choose to forgive. In the godly sense, if god already forgiven you (unmerited favor), there's no reason to ask for forgiveness. Apology, yes. Gratitude. But not forgiveness.

Only if we are sincerely trying NOT to sin against anyone. We will fail, but so long as we are trying, and we are willing to forgive others for their failures, we can trust that we will be forgiven for our failures, in turn. And this does not depend on the consent of those we have sinned against.

I just think there's no reason to ask for forgiveness. Let the other person forgive you on his or her own. I'm stuck on expectation not consent.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever

omnipresence?

pantheistic
The scriptures reveal that the primary work of the Holy Spirit since the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is to conviction people of their sin, need of forgiveness and salvation found only in the Savior Jesus Christ.
When a person doesn’t listen to and rejects the conviction of the Holy Spirit concerning their need for a Savior, they reject the only means of forgiveness.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You lost me.

The question still remains. If there is an inner voice, how do you know it's the Absolute and not something else?

there can not be anything that exists outside the Absolute/Infinite. So obviously there is an inner voice and it isn't outside/separate from self.

the problem is if its a service to self type(selfish) voice or service to all as self type(loving) voice. service to self is allowed in order to meet the needs of self but once those needs are met it becomes unhealthy. the service to self is the noisier voice, the self preserving voice, the beast. its practically shouting or loudly talking most of the time.

it is unhealthy when self is not in a crises. the service to all as self is the still small voice, the loving all as one, the golden rule voice. it is hard to tell which voice is speaking because they sound exactly alike but don't offer the same advice because of the difference in need and not person.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It is my understanding that the sin against the Hoy Ghost is to deny something after you have received an undeniable witness that it is true.

It would be like seeing and speaking with the Lord personally - and then afterwards living contrary to whatever the Lord told you to do.

It is my belief that very very very very few people will ever be guilty of committing this sin.
if the Lord is omnipresent then the Lord is with you, to deny it is to deny the kingdom of god in self. this is what is within self and loving with all your might

I AM with you always

John 14:20

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The scriptures reveal that the primary work of the Holy Spirit since the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is to conviction people of their sin, need of forgiveness and salvation found only in the Savior Jesus Christ.
When a person doesn’t listen to and rejects the conviction of the Holy Spirit concerning their need for a Savior, they reject the only means of forgiveness.
loving someone is not an approval of idolatry.

john 21:15-17

Zaha Torte

if the Lord is omnipresent then the Lord is with you, to deny it is to deny the kingdom of god in self. this is what is within self and loving with all your might

I AM with you always

John 14:20
I find everything you just said to be irrelevant to what I said.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
In my opinion, it's because it's a rejection of the very core tenets of the Christian faith. You can debate points of doctrine for all eternity, but once you start to reject the very idea that there could be a god and that this god can act upon human, the entire faith crumble and it's impossible to convert you.
or its actually the core of your being that you are rejecting; so its a judgment upon self with prejudice. like not following the detour sign when traveling

epronovost

or its actually the core of your being that you are rejecting; so its a judgment upon self with prejudice. like not following the detour sign when traveling

That would be assuming the veracity of your premise without demonstration. In other words, if gods and souls are real, blasphemy is delusion. But, that's a very big ''if''. If there is no gods and souls, belief in blasphemy is delusion.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's just petulance.

It's plainly intended to operate as an anti-blasphemy law, and is just as indefensible.

Time the Holy Spirit grew up and started acting like an adult.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
That would be assuming the veracity of your premise without demonstration. In other words, if gods and souls are real, blasphemy is delusion. But, that's a very big ''if''. If there is no gods and souls, belief in blasphemy is delusion.

psalms 82:6

so if self is the god, it's something inherently something about self

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It's just petulance.

It's plainly intended to operate as an anti-blasphemy law, and is just as indefensible.

Time the Holy Spirit grew up and started acting like an adult.

physically adult? or spiritually(mentally) adult?

Last edited:

epronovost

psalms 82:6

so if self is the god, it's something inherently something about self

Oh look, he's quoting his magic book as if it's supposed to be something anybody must accept. Next what? You'll exorcise me?

When someone tells you that they don't hold your magic book as true or even informative about any subject. It's kind of stupid to quote it in response to any point that has been raised.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Oh look, he's quoting his magic book as if it's supposed to be something anybody must accept. Next what? You'll exorcise me?

When someone tells you that they don't hold your magic book as true or even informative about any subject. It's kind of stupid to quote it in response to any point that has been raised.

its a book on consciousness/mind from an age when language was unique to it's culture. you assume your language and logic is the first of it's kind.

psychology and sociology are not hard sciences.

so mental/spiritual are even today interchangeable

so again if the term god is a reference to mankind, then the subject of discussion is in regards to something intrinsic about mankind. in this case it is consciousness/mind/spirit

YOUR EGO IS SHOWING

epronovost

its a book on consciousness/mind from an age when language was unique to it's culture. you assume your language and logic is the first of it's kind.

No, that's you assumption.

psychology and sociology are not hard sciences.

Indeed, but what's your point?

so mental/spiritual are even today interchangeable

Not if you want to be understood by people since grammar works on concensus. You can endlessly redefine concepts and terms, finding them new usages, but that doesn't make you comprehensible o whatever you produce out of such re-arrangment pertinent.

so again if the term god is a reference to mankind, then the subject of discussion is in regards to something intrinsic about mankind. in this case it is consciousness/mind/spirit.

That's what you believe. I don't think the term god is a reference to mankind and that even if it were, I don't think it would have to do with the consciousness or the mind or the spirit, whatever it might means in that context.

I don't think your frame of analysis is either correct, innovative or interesting.

YOUR EGO IS SHOWING

Says the guy who believes a book written thousand of years ago by Ancient Hebrew somehow concerns, is filled with accurate information about the world and humans and that the universe revovles around your existence...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No, that's you assumption.

Indeed, but what's your point?

Not if you want to be understood by people since grammar works on concensus. You can endlessly redefine concepts and terms, finding them new usages, but that doesn't make you comprehensible o whatever you produce out of such re-arrangment pertinent.

That's what you believe. I don't think the term god is a reference to mankind and that even if it were, I don't think it would have to do with the consciousness or the mind or the spirit, whatever it might means in that context.

I don't think your frame of analysis is either correct, innovative or interesting.

Says the guy who believes a book written thousand of years ago by Ancient Hebrew somehow concerns, is filled with accurate information about the world and humans and that the universe revovles around your existence...

the book isn't personal any more than any other book on spirituality/mentality

YOUR BSING IS