• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simultaneity

WalterTrull

Godfella
Uhmm... Is this 'bean dip'? While I have my own hunches about time, I've heard this explanation before, but could never quite follow it. (Pardon the animation)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
In general relativity, space and time are mixed into a single geometry of spacetime. if you have taken high school algebra, this is analogous to the way that the x axis and y axis are mixed to produce the geometry of the plane.

Motion, in this scheme, *roughly* corresponds to a rotation of the axes, so the new axes no longer align with the old ones. That means that points that are 'simultaneous' (having the same x coordinate) in one need not be in the other (in fact, it is quite unlikely).

But notice that *both* coordinate systems see the other as having things wrong in similar ways. This is the origin of the 'twin paradox'. When two things are in motion, each one sees the clocks of the other as going slower.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Width is the Past Gone and the Future Coming, and there is no `now` !

Everything is in the direction someone looks, and imagination begins.