• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple.... WHY BUDDHISM?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I helped me makes sense of my life and all things I've learned and experienced since.

xkatz

I agree with everything said but I would also like to add that Buddhism in some forms can also be compatible with other religions and enrich your religiosity and spirituality.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Like Engyo, it works. Helped me remove my anger and showed me why.

Similarly, I always tell people this was my 'conversion miracle', lol. I was simply astounded at how watching how anger came on, could put me so deeply in touch with it. Now I see it's an emotion and not an action, which gives me the chance to work deeply into it's core, rather than wasting my time wrecking the place with chaos.

It's the 'applied/cognitive' means that amazed me and gave me further faith in the practice.

:namaste
SageTree

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Simple.... WHY BUDDHISM?

And does it answer the question why?

For the beer and the chicks.

Well, allright, my original answer of "It works" was already taken. But it honestly doesn't hurt to get the beer and the chicks in addition to what is already pragmatic and skillful.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It impressed me that there are groups around of which you dont seek, question, or find the answers, but rather that you directly live the answers forthright without experiencing any type of need to go further than that.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mr Orange,

Simple.... WHY BUDDHISM?

Your response to friend no-body remains incomplete.
Besides though you have declared your religion as buddhism you yourself have not explained why?

Personally do not segregate between any religions as they all paths or ways to reach the same state of buddhahood or christhood etc. and no-way is the way that follow.

Love & rgds

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Simply put, Buddhism matches up with my experiences, my views on reality, and, like it's been said here already, it works. It explains things that, until I converted to Buddhism, were left unexplainable, it's helping me to get rid of vices, and perfect virtues, after spending some time in meditation, I learned to forgive my step-dad, who, previously, I had wanted to end his life. It helps me not only cope, but understand, the extreme depression and anxiety I'm going through right now. It simply makes more sense than any other religion or philosophy out there.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Mr. Orange,

Since you are yet to respond to the last response placed could you further state what is *BUDDHISM*?? to clarify and respond where one stands in terms of that!

Love & rgds

And does it answer the question why?

I believe the Buddha was a practical teacher and he didn't deal with the existential questions; he said they weren't relevant to the path and may even confuse and hinder you. I can think of two teachings; one where you're shot with an arrow (MN 63)and you won't get medical attention until you know who shot you, what his family name is, who his parents were, what wood the arrow was made out of. And I think the 'getting shot' represents life and wondering who shot us are the existential questions (why are we here, etc). And considering these slows us down to getting medical aid (the dharma) for the arrow wound.

And another where he's with his disciples in a forest and he holds up a handful of leaves. He says something like, "the leaves in my hand lead to Nirvana, the forest leaves are everything else".

I'm new to Buddhism, but I think the question in Buddhism is not 'Why?', but 'What am I?'.

I could be talking a load of rubbish though! :yes:

Oh, and 'Why Buddhism?'; I'm a recovered alcoholic in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous (which has a spiritual program of recovery - which is very good), part of which entails meditation.

So I went to a Buddhist meditation class, not to learn Buddhism, but to learn how to meditate. While I was there, the Buddhist guy who took the class spoke about Buddhism and I sat there listening, and having those little 'Ah moments' of understanding. What he was saying really 'chimed' with me.

I then started reading and going to a dharma talk/meditation class when I could - that was about 18 months ago - and now I'm about to start a more structured approach with a two-year Buddhist foundation course.

Tathagata

Freethinker
I was impressed by it's profound, comprehensive, and extraordinary philosophy. I was drawn to it because some of the philosophies were in line with mine, but the majority of the philosophy made me question and let go of my previously held beliefs, and in fact gave a refreshing new outlook that seemed to cut away all the nonsense in my previous beliefs.

I was also drawn to the Buddha himself, as I found his teachings far ahead of their time, and even far ahead of our time. His teachings are probably the only teachings from a religious figure that are actually respected and analyzed by philosophers because he was well versed in philosophy. That can't be said for many other religious figures. (I think Lao Tzu, Confucious, etc. are simply considered to be philosophers by most, rather than religious figures)

And most importantly, Buddhism is a philosophical system that you can be sure of the truth of it. It probably ranks highest of any religion when it comes to VERIFIABLE truth, meaning that we could actually analyze and test Buddhist claims and so far, Buddhism has yet to be refuted.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Tathagata,

And most importantly, Buddhism is a philosophical system that you can be sure of the truth of it. It probably ranks highest of any religion when it comes to VERIFIABLE truth, meaning that we could actually analyze and test Buddhist claims and so far, Buddhism has yet to be refuted.

Just to state that all religions are paths or ways which are verifiable provided on walks it.
Ramkrishna Paramhansa himself walked the path of seven and declared that tby taking any path one reaches to the same experience.
Buddhism is a dharmic religion and based on sanatan dharma which itself is an open ended system meaning it has no fixed paths and all paths are as good and Gautama evolved the dharma.

(I think Lao Tzu, Confucious, etc. are simply considered to be philosophers by most, rather than religious figures)
Personal understanding is that they too were enlightened people. Taoism is totally based on *understanding* whereas Confucius's was on * behavior* whereas Gautama's is on practice; the goal of all is the same oneness with existence with the whole, god etc.

Love & rgds