• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Similarities between the Orphic Egg and the Shivalingam...

ajay0

Studying the Orphic Egg of the ancient Greek Orphic tradition recently, I was pleasantly surprised by its similarities to the Shivalingam in Hinduism.

Orphic Egg - Wikipedia

The Orphic Egg is considered the Father or creator of all the Greek gods.

The Shivalingam in Hinduism is also considered the cosmic egg from which sprang forth everything in the material universe, including the gods, at the time of creation, and they will all return back to the Shivalingam at the time of cosmic dissolution.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam as representing God Shiva as an incorporeal point of light, and the Father of all the other gods and sentient beings, and the same as Jehovah, Ahura Mazda, Allah, Waheguru in the other monotheistic religions.

Like the Orphic Egg, the Shivalingam is often depicted with a serpent wound about it.

It is possible that there is a common link and origin to these traditions.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Studying the Orphic Egg of the ancient Greek Orphic tradition recently, I was pleasantly surprised by its similarities to the Shivalingam in Hinduism.

Orphic Egg - Wikipedia

The Shivalingam in Hinduism is also considered the cosmic egg from which sprang forth everything in the material universe, including the gods, at the time of creation, and they will all return back to the Shivalingam at the time of cosmic dissolution.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam as representing God Shiva as an incorporeal point of light, and the Father of all the other gods and sentient beings, and the same as Jehovah, Ahura Mazda, Allah, Waheguru in the other monotheistic religions.

Like the Orphic Egg, the Shivalingam is often depicted with a serpent wound about it.

The wikipedia entry on the 'World egg' mentions several other possible overlaps. Egyptians have the 'Ogdoad'. Taoists have the 'Pangu'. Finns, Polynesians and West Africans it says have egg mythologies.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Reminds me of the "chicken and the egg" problem
Chicken might be even Shiva, if egg is lingam
Makes even sense from Advaitic POV

Note: Of course Shiva is not chicken nor a chick

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I would be surprised if there would not be a common origin. Saints and Sages share wisdom in any tradition but they also transcend tradition