• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Similarities between Islam and Christianity

Peacewise

Hello all participants, I would very much like to discuss the SIMILARITIES between Islam and Christianity, please note the capital concept.

I've been told that there is an Islamic concept
" want for your brother what you want for yourself "

and I know that there is the Christian concept
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

it seems that whilst these do have particular differences, the concepts are more similar than different - that being they both ask the believer to be considerate of another.

So friends, please do discuss both this example and other examples of SIMILARITIES. I respectfully ask you to concentrate upon the similarities, rather than the differences.

For instance is there an Islamic version of any of the 10 christian commandments and if so what are the similarities between them.

regards, peacewise.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Peacewise I'd say Jesus and Muhammad taught similar things. I love some of the hadiths about Muhammad, but what modern day Islam and Christianity teach and do, and what Jesus and Muhammad taught and did, are two very different things.

Peacewise

So true my friend Yosef the Heretic.
Seems that one of the similarities between the two religions, as you suggest, is that the modern versions of each religion no longer teach what their respective 'great teacher' taught, though this is a generalization and may not necessarily be a useful one.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well Peacewise I've been knowing that about Christianity a long time, but after reading Muhammad's sirah, and seeing what a mild-mannered, peaceful, unattached ascetic he was, I cannot see how modern Islam with it's Sharia law and Islamic countries where they kill people all the time is in line with Muhammad at all. Muhammad was a holy ascetic who slept on a wooden mat, lived off of dates, and refused to accept riches or power.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Muhammad also waged war though. He was not fully peaceful, and towards the end of his life, did wage quite a few battles, including a full out war.

Islam has quite a few similarities with Christianity. Islam did base many of it's practices off of Judaism and Christianity. This is logical since Islam is considered a reinterpretation of the message that Judaism and Christianity is said to have corrupted.

Peacewise

thank you for the participation fallingblood. Would you care to be specific, perhaps quoting the various scriptures that are relevant.

Peacewise

Ok people this is a bump.
Do you notice how when asking for a discussion of the similarities between two religions there is little involvement, relative to the involvement that focuses on the differences between two religions?

Does Islam follow the concept "Love God"? perhaps substituting the word God for the word Allah.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have a hard time actually thinking of verses. But the idea of Mary is shared by both to a point. They both venerate her. Jesus is also seen as very special in both religions. That level of his importance is debated, but some ideas are shared there.

The 10 commandments are shared to a point as well, but that is probably more because it is shared by nearly all cultures. They also both share a belief in the after life. The gist of the two are the same. There are differences as to who goes to hell.

Both also share the idea of demons and angels participating in our world.

There are more similarities, but I'm beginning to blank right now.

Abu Rashid

Falling Blood said:
Muhammad also waged war though

Very true, Muhammad (pbuh) was most definitely a statesman, and he was a very good military strategist as well.

My suggestion is that the character of Muhammad (pbuh) is neither what you or Yosef have said. He went to war, but did not do so as a warmonger, but as a defender of his people and their rights to resist the oppression of the polytheists.

And to Yosef,

Yosef said:
Well Peacewise I've been knowing that about Christianity a long time, but after reading Muhammad's sirah, and seeing what a mild-mannered, peaceful, unattached ascetic he was, I cannot see how modern Islam with it's Sharia law and Islamic countries where they kill people all the time is in line with Muhammad at all. Muhammad was a holy ascetic who slept on a wooden mat, lived off of dates, and refused to accept riches or power.

Whilst it's true he was zaahid (ascetic), and he did live quite simply, without riches, he accepted power, and even sought it, by approaching various tribes around the Arabian peninsula to support his cause and give him "nusrah" or victory/power for Islam. He was a realist, and he lived in this world, although his thoughts were in the afterlife. It cannot be denied that he took bay'ah (pledge of allegiance) as ruler of Madinah, and that he then ruled Madinah as head of state and implemented Shari'ah law. This is all well documented historical fact.

It seems that like most other detractors of Islam, you pick and choose those pieces of the picture that happen to support your whims at the time.

Crazy Professor

Hello all participants, I would very much like to discuss the SIMILARITIES between Islam and Christianity, please note the capital concept.

I've been told that there is an Islamic concept
" want for your brother what you want for yourself "

and I know that there is the Christian concept
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

it seems that whilst these do have particular differences, the concepts are more similar than different - that being they both ask the believer to be considerate of another.

So friends, please do discuss both this example and other examples of SIMILARITIES. I respectfully ask you to concentrate upon the similarities, rather than the differences.

For instance is there an Islamic version of any of the 10 christian commandments and if so what are the similarities between them.

regards, peacewise.

Hi there,

It depends which christian denomination that you belong to in terms of the amount of simularities. For example, some denominations keep the food laws found in the book of Leviticus much the same a Muslims: no pork and unclean foods.

Peacewise

Thanks for the posts people.

Find and present where christianity, either one denomination or many, agree with Islam, if it is food that you wish to discuss, then please do present where christianity and islam agree.

This is not the place to note differences, please note similarities only.

Crazy Professor

Thanks for the posts people.

Find and present where christianity, either one denomination or many, agree with Islam, if it is food that you wish to discuss, then please do present where christianity and islam agree.

This is not the place to note differences, please note similarities only.
Seventh-day Adventist people do not eat "unclean meat" as outlined in Leviticus 11.
any land animal must have a coven hoof and also chew the cud. (the hoof must have two sections not one like a horse)