• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Similarities between Guru Nanak and Shirdi Sai Baba

ronki23

Both men were born as Hindus but brought up in Muslim surroundings

Both men denounced the division between Hinduism and Islam and that they're mutually exclusive

Both men went to Makkah

So why do only Hindu Punjabis worship Guru Nanak and only West Indians worship Shirdi Sai Baba? Why don't you see Muslims believing in Shirdi Sai Baba because he was raised a Muslim and why don't you see the followers of Sikhism locally believe in Shirdi Sai Baba if he preached the same message of Guru Nanak?
If Guru Nanak went to Makkah then why are Sikhs not allowed? There were several Bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib who were Muslim.

saigurunanak.jpg

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh. Om Sai Rama

ronki23

@ronki23
You forgot Kabir whose writings are included in the Guru Granth Sahib (Sikh scripture). Many Muslims revere Kabir.
Here is an interesting documentary about Hindu & Muslim followers of Kabir. It covers much of India.

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/2831/Had-Anhad--Journeys-With-Ram---Kabir--Bounded-Boundless-

As well as Kabir there is Bhai Mardana and Farīduddīn Ganjshakar.

3279380410_41dbe96254.jpg

FB_IMG_1466257941022.jpg

Image-Of-Bhagat-Kabir-Ji.jpg

Bhagat Bhikan, Sadhana, Satta and Balvind too.

I have Muslim acquaintances from Guinea, Senegal, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain, Pakistan and Palestine all on my Facebook friends list. I would like to talk to them about these Muslims but I don't see them anymore. I am sure they're Sunni (I don't like Sunnis so don't consider them 'friends'- the reason for this is they exclude me from activities)

ronki23

Kabir and Shirdi Sai are different. Kabir did not claim being a God. He was an honest person.

What's wrong with Shirdi Sai Baba? He was a religious teacher who taught Hinduism to Hindus and Islam to Muslims. He wasn't a Muslim or Hindu because he never went to Makkah and he never prayed 5 times a day. Shirdi Sai Baba also didn't worship idols or pictures and was buried when he died but many Hindu holymen are buried. He also ate meat except once a week he was a vegetarian.

Guru Nanak was a vegetarian and believed in karma and rebirth but like a Hindu sage or a Muslim Imam he had a beard and uncut hair; like in Islam he covered his head and he even went to Makkah. But Guru Nanak was born in a Hindu family although he refused to wear janoi.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You see, Shirdi Sai has been made into something by his devotees (not Hindus but reportedly Jains only to earn money) into something that he may not have claimed to be. As a Hindu I am against any person claiming or claimed to be Rama, Krishna and Shiva. Between Buddha and Kalki there cannot be any intrusion, that is written. So, for me he is a fraud.

ajay0

Both men were born as Hindus but brought up in Muslim surroundings

Both men denounced the division between Hinduism and Islam and that they're mutually exclusive

Both men went to Makkah

So why do only Hindu Punjabis worship Guru Nanak and only West Indians worship Shirdi Sai Baba? Why don't you see Muslims believing in Shirdi Sai Baba because he was raised a Muslim and why don't you see the followers of Sikhism locally believe in Shirdi Sai Baba if he preached the same message of Guru Nanak?
If Guru Nanak went to Makkah then why are Sikhs not allowed? There were several Bhagats in Sri Guru Granth Sahib who were Muslim.

saigurunanak.jpg

Waheguruji ka Khalsa Waheguruji ki Fateh. Om Sai Rama

The important thing is to aspire to be like them, rather than lamenting over why some revere them and some doesn't, imho.

Guru Nanak had great regard for sufis and sufism, and the sufis greatly revered him as well.

Guru Nanak through his teachings helped to bring down casteism, untouchability and inequality which were plaguing and regressing Hindu society, and similarly lowered intolerance in islamic society.

Shirdi Sai Baba, a Sufi enlightened sage, similarly helped to bring down intolerance in islamic society and casteism, inequality and ignorance in Hindu society and promoted inter-religious harmony, and nondual perception.

Many caste hindus who earlier used to deride him due to their dualistic perception of him as a muslim, fell on their knees before him after witnessing his divine miracles , and tearfully asked him for his forgiveness.

So why do only Hindu Punjabis worship Guru Nanak and only West Indians worship Shirdi Sai Baba?

Because the institutions they created had a stronger base in the regions where they lived.

Why don't you see Muslims believing in Shirdi Sai Baba because he was raised a Muslim and why don't you see the followers of Sikhism locally believe in Shirdi Sai Baba if he preached the same message of Guru Nanak?

I know of muslims who have faith in Shirdi Sai. But the majority adhere to their ideal of monotheism, and does not worship human figures though they revere him as a great sage.

Sikhs who have studied Shirdi Sai also had great reverence for him.

Makkah is prohibited to non-muslims and even those who venture into those areas accidentally can be arrested and death penalty imposed on them.

The bhagats mentioned in Sri Guru Granth Sahib were sufi sages, whose ideal of fanaa is similar to Hindu Moksha and Buddhist Nirvana.

ronki23

You see, Shirdi Sai has been made into something by his devotees (not Hindus but reportedly Jains only to earn money) into something that he may not have claimed to be. As a Hindu I am against any person claiming or claimed to be Rama, Krishna and Shiva. Between Buddha and Kalki there cannot be any intrusion, that is written. So, for me he is a fraud.

Sai Baba never claimed to be a God. He even said he wasn't Hindu or Muslim, just like Guru Nanak

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A few people made Shirdi baba into what he is today. People say he was a Muslim, Chand Mia. He is not for Orthodox Hindus like me.